Last vote for forum name change

pam

Last vote for name change  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Of these two choices, which do you prefer? One is keeping the name but adding forum

• Third Hour Forum
    • Mormon Hub Forum

• pam pinned this topic

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/style-guide

While the term "Mormon Church" has long been publicly applied to the Church as a nickname, it is not an authorized title, and the Church discourages its use. Thus, please avoid using the abbreviation "LDS" or the nickname "Mormon" as substitutes for the name of the Church, as in "Mormon Church," "LDS Church," or "Church of the Latter-day Saints."

When referring to Church members, the terms "members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" or "Latter-day Saints" are preferred. We ask that the term "Mormons" not be used.

Sounds like Third Hour Forum is the only choice

When we did the initial poll many people suggested other names using Mormon and LDS.  So to see it it really didn't matter to forum members we have 2 choices.

I second Vort. I voted for “third hour forum” purely because it was the only choice that followed the counsel from the prophet. I think we could all agree on something dealing with Saints it Latter-day Saints

Latter-day forums

or

Latter-day Saints Forum

Anything too witty may make it difficult for people seeking answers to find

The standard set up by the Prophet is to include the name of Jesus Christ in the name when referencing the church or it's members. I think it obvious that no one has really suggested doing so with the site/forum name because it would be too casual a usage, "a la: Saints of Jesus Christ Hub or the like". Therefore, something like Third Hour, in not referring to the church or it's members directly gets around that. Latter-day Saints forum does not. Latter-day forum does.

Guest MormonGator

"Third hour" doesn't tell anyone what we are. Many people have found this site by Googling "Mormon".  From a marketing standpoint, I think "Third Hour" doesn't convey the message of what this site is about. 

Edited by MormonGator

7 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

The standard set up by the Prophet is to include the name of Jesus Christ in the name when referencing the church or it's members. I think it obvious that no one has really suggested doing so with the site/forum name because it would be too casual a usage, "a la: Saints of Jesus Christ Hub or the like". Therefore, something like Third Hour, in not referring to the church or it's members directly gets around that. Latter-day Saints forum does not. Latter-day forum does.

When referring to Church members, the terms "members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" or "Latter-day Saints" are preferred. We ask that the term "Mormons" not be used.

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/style-guide

Interpret how you will.

Looks like y’all have already decided what the new forum name will be. Why insult our intelligence by offering a choice that’s not really a choice. Name it whatever you want. I’m sure people will still come and participate even if it has a stupid name.

Note: My husband tells me this is acerbic. I told him I can live with that.

Guest MormonGator

This site is also for lurkers to learn more about the LDS church. If we change it to "third hour" they might seek information elsewhere. I'm not sure that's the best choice, but since I'm not the one paying bills, I have no right to make the choices. 

Just now, Carborendum said:

Yeah, I'm having a tough time with this one.

Given the change to the Tabernacle Choir's website and URL (also the work so far with mormon.org), I expect it's only a matter of time before they change this URL, too.  I don't find fault with them for not having accomplished it yet.

Just now, zil said:

Given the change to the Tabernacle Choir's website and URL (also the work so far with mormon.org), I expect it's only a matter of time before they change this URL, too.  I don't find fault with them for not having accomplished it yet.

I was trying to be ... I dunno... humorous?

Meanwhile, the point should have been obvious.  It seems clear from the style guide - which the prophet himself mentioned - that while it's not OK for the Church, it is OK for the members to be called Latter-day Saints.  So if one wants to imply that this is the Church forum, then Latter-day Saints Forum (Hub, whatever) is not OK.  But if this is a forum for the members, then Latter-day Saints is perfectly fine.

Despite all my snarky remarks in the other thread, I feel pretty strongly that the best site name will include Latter-day Saints.  But I agree with others who have said, (a) follow the prophet, and (b) don't give us choices that aren't choices.

latter-daysaintforum.com is available.  The "hub" version is taken, dunno by whom.  (The Church's rights & uses page doesn't list Latter-day Saint(s) as a trademark, so presumably it's free to use, unless someone else has claimed it - seems unlikely.)

“Opening Exercises”?

Or, since so many anti sites have tried to create confusion and pass themselves off as sympathetic by using the word “Mormon” in their names, maybe we should return the favor.  How about “Thinking Mormon Story Ministry”?  

Or, Anti-anti-Mormons? 

Edited by Just_A_Guy

• pam locked this topic
  • pam unpinned this topic