Last vote for forum name change

pam

Last vote for name change  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Of these two choices, which do you prefer? One is keeping the name but adding forum

• Third Hour Forum
    • Mormon Hub Forum

17 minutes ago, zil said:

It seems clear from the style guide - which the prophet himself mentioned - that while it's not OK for the Church, it is OK for the members to be called Latter-day Saints.

When referring to Church members, the terms "members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" or "Latter-day Saints" are preferred. We ask that the term "Mormons" not be used.

Looks pretty clear to me. And if members are to be called "Latter-day Saints", then using that term as an adjectival phrase seems eminently reasonable. How about the abbreviation "LDS"? Less clear. But certainly "Latter-day Saint Forum" would be unobjectionable.

Guest MormonGator
Just now, Vort said:

When referring to Church members, the terms "members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" or "Latter-day Saints" are preferred. We ask that the term "Mormons" not be used.

Looks pretty clear to me. And if members are to be called "Latter-day Saints", then using that term as an adjectival phrase seems eminently reasonable. How about the abbreviation "LDS"? Less clear. But certainly "Latter-day Saint Forum" would be unobjectionable.

Remember @Vort, 99% of people who use the term "Mormon" aren't LDS. So they won't know the term has changed. 

3 minutes ago, Vort said:

And if members are to be called "Latter-day Saints", then using that term as an adjectival phrase seems eminently reasonable. How about the abbreviation "LDS"? Less clear. 

“LDS.net” worked fine in the past.  I guess my question is whether it’s a violation of the spirit of President Nelson’s request.  If it isn’t, I doubt we’d have much to worry about from an SEO standpoint.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, NeuroTypical said:

Didn't we sort of lose a lot of members when we moved from lds.net to mormonhub.com?  

LatterDayForum or LatterDaySaintsForum sounds good.  

All change is difficult, so we'll probably lose members again, at least at first. Like it or not, the word "Mormon" is very popular in our culture.

4 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

“LDS.net” worked fine in the past.  I guess my question is whether it’s a violation of the spirit of President Nelson’s request.

This is the only thing the style guide explicitly says about "LDS":

Thus, please avoid using the abbreviation "LDS" or the nickname "Mormon" as substitutes for the name of the Church, as in "Mormon Church," "LDS Church," or "Church of the Latter-day Saints."

...so, it's not entirely clear whether it's OK as an abbreviation for members.  From Pam's earlier post, she, or the MoreGoodFountation, doesn't want it used.

Changing the name may have a detrimental effect on our SEO, but the title is not the only factor. Making a point of starting more threads about the Book of Mormon could help mitigate the effects. Just the first thing to come to mind. Also, there may be somewhere to enter preferred text for search results pages, which could also help. I know I set something like that for my personal website.

I personally feel that if there's any question as to whether LDS or Mormon is appropriate for use in this context, it is better to err on the side of not using them. I'd go relisten to President Nelson's talk this morning now to see how to best apply it to the current discussion, but I'm enjoying listening to the Tabernacle Choir sing Broadway songs right now so would rather not.

21 minutes ago, zil said:

This is the only thing the style guide explicitly says about "LDS":

...so, it's not entirely clear whether it's OK as an abbreviation for members.  From Pam's earlier post, she, or the MoreGoodFountation, doesn't want it used.

President Nelson's address earlier today made it perfectly clear that it is ok to call ourselves "Latter-day Saints" because that is what we are.  It was just the name of the Church itself that should ALWAYS contain the name of Jesus Christ in any manifestation.

But you are correct, no mention of the abbreviation for us as members of that Church.

Edited by Guest

9 minutes ago, SilentOne said:

Changing the name may have a detrimental effect on our SEO, but the title is not the only factor. Making a point of starting more threads about the Book of Mormon could help mitigate the effects. Just the first thing to come to mind. Also, there may be somewhere to enter preferred text for search results pages, which could also help. I know I set something like that for my personal website.

I personally feel that if there's any question as to whether LDS or Mormon is appropriate for use in this context, it is better to err on the side of not using them. I'd go relisten to President Nelson's talk this morning now to see how to best apply it to the current discussion, but I'm enjoying listening to the Tabernacle Choir sing Broadway songs right now so would rather not.

This may be true.  But I as a Latter-day Saint did not even get the reference to "third hour".  So, when googling "Book of Mormon" I don't think I'd EVER click on a site that was called "third hour".  How on earth is a non-member going to think about clicking on that link?

1 hour ago, The Folk Prophet said:

The standard set up by the Prophet is to include the name of Jesus Christ in the name when referencing the church or it's members. I think it obvious that no one has really suggested doing so with the site/forum name because it would be too casual a usage, "a la: Saints of Jesus Christ Hub or the like". Therefore, something like Third Hour, in not referring to the church or it's members directly gets around that. Latter-day Saints forum does not. Latter-day forum does.

1 hour ago, zil said:

I take back that part of my post. 

It appears that pretty much everyone is resistant to "Third Hour".

It appears that pretty much everyone sees "Latter day saints forum" (with variation in spacing and dots) is both acceptable to the criteria that the Brethren have put forth as well as SEO criteria.

So, what's the rub?  @pam?

1 hour ago, Sunday21 said:

How about ‘Book of Mormon Forum’ then people could find us. We are allowed to say ‘Book of Mormon’ 

If we were to do that, I'd feel like I shouldn't start any topics that weren't clearly related to the Book of Mormon. With MormonHub, most topics feel okay because it just describes us as a gathering of Kodge Kolds.

Considering that the home mormonhub website has articles and news, I still think that thedailysaint would be a good choice.  Also latterdayforum could be good.  Anyway, if we have to pick from the two choices, I vote for Third hour, now that there is no more third hour, it makes sense.  But lose the word forum, just thirdhour by itself sounds good.

Edited by person0

4 hours ago, pam said:

When we did the initial poll many people suggested other names using Mormon and LDS.  So to see it it really didn't matter to forum members we have 2 choices.

The initial poll was before Pres. Nelson's fiery reprimand of a talk though. ;) 

1 hour ago, The Folk Prophet said:

The initial poll was before Pres. Nelson's fiery reprimand of a talk though. ;) 

Again this is just a poll.  Vote or not.  

12 hours ago, person0 said:

Considering that the home mormonhub website has articles and news, I still think that thedailysaint would be a good choice.  Also latterdayforum could be good.  Anyway, if we have to pick from the two choices, I vote for Third hour, now that there is no more third hour, it makes sense.  But lose the word forum, just thirdhour by itself sounds good.

That part of the website is changing to Third Hour.  We had a thought to split off the forums and leave the name the same but with Forum or keep it together and we become the Third Hour Forum.

2 hours ago, Backroads said:

I keep wanting to repeat that as "Book of MorUM Forum". Because rhymes.

It rhymes, but no one will find it, and the confusion factor will multiply.

I have to wonder if I'm not getting players because I call it LDS Trivia and not Mormon Trivia. Whatever the new name is, I suggest adding code to add keywords for "Mormon forum". I should do that to the website of my trivia game. Although there's no forum there, so that would be redundant. 

• pam locked this topic
  • pam unpinned this topic