Latter-day Saint Board games?

Fether

Is there a market for these games?

My wife and I absolutely love board games and a few weeks back we decided to end our tradition of inviting ward friends over on Sunday for board games because we felt it didn’t fit into a sabbath day worship.

So I started brain storming today possible board game ideas. 

Now Im not talking about games like “Settlers of Zarahemla” or “Mormon-opoly” that are just renames of popular board games. Nor am I talking about trivia based games (cause you can only play those games so many times before it just becomes a race to who can remember the answer fastest).

Im talking about more intricate, difficult and entertaining games like Settlers of Catan, Bang!, Ticket to Ride,etc (but not just remakes) centered around gospel related topics that, as you play, you are learning about the gospel. Or that encourage study of gospel topics to be good at such games. Also, games that change each time you play so that you don’t find yourself seeing the same winner every time.

My wife and I came up with some interesting ideas and are seriously considering pursuing some of them. But is there a market for this?

note: I’m not looking for ideas because on the off change we do pursue these ideas, I don’t want to get in trouble in the future for stealing ideas if we do decide to make and sell these games 

Edited by Fether

Guest MormonGator
18 hours ago, Fether said:

Sorry @Fether, but making money with those games is impossible.  You are going after an audience that is at most 2% of the general population, perhaps less. Out of those 2%, maybe 10% would want to play a board game based on what you are describing. Not trying to sound harsh, but this would be extremely difficult. 

1 minute ago, MormonGator said:

Sorry @Fether, but making money with those games is impossible.  You are going after an audience that is at most 2% of the general population, perhaps less. Out of those 2%, maybe 10% would want to play a board game based on what you are describing. Not trying to sound harsh, but this would be extremely difficult. 

I had the exact same thought 👍 just testing the waters with the idea in this forum

Guest MormonGator
Just now, Fether said:

I had the exact same thought 👍 just testing the waters with the idea in this forum

I wish you the best my friend, and don't put your dreams on hold just because some jerk like me told you how difficult it would be. But I'd hate to see you pump in thousands of dollars and get nothing back on your effort. 

18 hours ago, Fether said:

My wife and I absolutely love board games and a few weeks back we decided to end our tradition of inviting ward friends over on Sunday for board games because we felt it didn’t fit into a sabbath day worship.

Now Im not talking about games like “Settlers of Zarahemla” or “Mormon-opoly” that are just renames of popular board games. Nor am I talking about trivia based games (cause you can only play those games so many times before it just becomes a race to who can remember the answer fastest).

Im talking about more intricate, difficult and entertaining games like Settlers of Catan, Bang!, Ticket to Ride,etc (but not just remakes) centered around gospel related topics that, as you play, you are learning about the gospel. Or that encourage study of gospel topics to be good at such games. Also, games that change each time you play so that you don’t find yourself seeing the same winner every time.

My wife and I came up with some interesting ideas and are seriously considering pursuing some of them. But is there a market for this?

note: I’m not looking for ideas because on the off change we do pursue these ideas, I don’t want to get in trouble in the future for stealing ideas if we do decide to make and sell these games 

Book of Mormon Axis and Allies.

Seriously, we need a Book of Mormon type wargame out there...

Not that we should glorify violence, but my kids and I started to play Risk over Thanksgiving in the mid to late 70s.  Later, one of my children discovered Axis & Allies and we started to play that game over Thanksgiving weekends sometimes (and saved Risk till Christmas).

I always thought if one could come up with a great Nephite/Lamanite game in the same vein it could be a great thing to play instead.

17 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

I wish you the best my friend, and don't put your dreams on hold just because some jerk like me told you how difficult it would be. But I'd hate to see you pump in thousands of dollars and get nothing back on your effort. 

I’m deeply engrossed in my career right now and have no intentions to leave it :) 

This board game thing was just an idea for a side gig. It definitely would be a niche market but even niche markets that are played right can be huge successes. All I need is a section in Deseret Book ;)

Also... it’s a board game. Cardboard and plastic... how expensive could it be to make x) hire some unknown artist to do the artwork would be the most expensive part. I could charge $30 and make a $20 profit on every sale.

There's a tabletop wargame system out there called Hail Caesar, and the rules cover classical through medieval warfare.  The army list for ancient civilizations even includes some Biblical factions.  

I have considrered creating army lists to cover various Book of Mormon forces and periods using the existing lists as a template.

Not exactly a board game, but that's what my 2 cents will buy you.

On 10/7/2018 at 2:02 PM, Fether said:

I"ve seen lds themed games in a couple stores. however i have yet to play one. there probably is a market for it but i doubt that there's a big enough of one to make a living off of.