Questions about preisthood worthiness

AkaPatience

First time here, so I might be doing this wrong but I think it's long overdue!

Hello, I married my non member husband 35 years ago. He joined the church months later. He seemed eager and active for years but over the last 15 years has had issues with church history, etc... he has been quite vocal at church with his displeasure about many things. He doesn't wear his garments anymore, has no desire to have a reccomend, doesn't support/sustain the Brotheren, hasn't paid tithing in years...there's actually more, but I think you can get the idea... Here's my question: Should he be blessing the sacrament? Assisting with preisthood blessings for the sick? It doesn't seem right to me. I asked him what his response is when he's asked what religion he belongs to....he gave me a round-about answer.... I wish I could quote it, but he does not identify himself as L.D.S. even though he attends weekly.

Welcome, @AkaPatience!  The Sacrament is administered under the bishop's keys.  It's hard to believe the bishop doesn't know the things you wrote above, but if not, or you're just concerned, I recommend you counsel with the bishop - preferably with your husband.

As for blessing the sick, it seems like his worthiness to draw upon priesthood power, and his belief (or lack of belief) in its authority would seriously limit the effectiveness of the blessing he's giving.  Again, this seems like a good topic to discuss with your bishop, or perhaps Elder's Quorum President or Stake President.

Edited by zil

2 hours ago, zil said:

Welcome, @AkaPatience!  The Sacrament is administered under the bishop's keys.  It's hard to believe the bishop doesn't know the things you wrote above, but if not, or you're just concerned, I recommend you counsel with the bishop - preferably with your husband.

As for blessing the sick, it seems like his worthiness to draw upon priesthood power, and his believe (or lack of belief) in its authority would seriously limit the effectiveness of the blessing he's giving.  Again, this seems like a good topic to discuss with your bishop, or perhaps Elder's Quorum President or Stake President.

So the OP should rat her husband out to the bishop? 

5 minutes ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

So the OP should rat her husband out to the bishop? 

"Rat out"? What are we, the Mafia? If organized crime terminology is being used to discourage an action, that suggests that maybe the action is good. I don't know if telling the bishop is the right thing to do, but calling it "ratting out" does not help clarify anything.

Just now, Vort said:

"Rat out"? What are we, the Mafia? If organized crime terminology is being used to discourage an action, that suggests that maybe the action is good. I don't know if telling the bishop is the right thing to do, but calling it "ratting out" does not help clarify anything.

Fine...Snitching.

Just now, Vort said:

My overriding point is that if the OP thinks she is helping her husband by having conversations behind his back she is not. This is between him the Lord and his representatives here on earth. 

Now if the goal is to nag him and foster resentment then by all means.....

Just now, omegaseamaster75 said:

My overriding point is that if the OP thinks she is helping her husband by having conversations behind his back she is not. This is between him the Lord and his representatives here on earth. 

Now if the goal is to nag him and foster resentment then by all means.....

Then maybe she should not say anything behind his back. Maybe she should tell her husband, "I'm going to the bishop Sunday afternoon to discuss our situation with him and ask about Priesthood authority and ordinances. Will you come?"

Again, I am not sure that this is the right thing to do. But biasing the situation by using loaded terms doesn't help figure out what's best. Sometimes "tattling" is perfectly appropriate, no matter what negative terminology you want to attach to it.

Like I mentioned,  I'm new here, so I may not be doing this correctly...ie, not responding to each comment individually...

My Stake Pres. definitely knows what page my H is on...he told me himself, " you realize he has one foot out the door..." our ward had a few changes back to back, (new Bishopric/new boundaries/another new Bishopric) around the time I had been in contact with my Bishop/Stake Pres regarding other issues and my H. So idk if his situation got passed on to the new Bishop or not, it seems not but honestly,  idk how it works exactly.  I have been a party to Ward Council meetings in the past and it seems as though this would have been made mention to the new Bishop. I would feel like I was at least "telling" on my H if I went to the Bishop, that's why I'm posing it here. Also, helping my H... this is going to sound harsh but that isn't my concern. I'm concerned about the ordinances. You can't help a narcissist. 

The bishop is the one with keys over the sacrament, so if you have questions or concerns about its administration, how is he not the one to ask?  I suppose she could just shut up and try not to worry about it, but I fail to see what's wrong with counseling with those in authority about her concerns.  I don't know what good counseling with anyone else does, as no one else has the authority to make decisions / judgement on the matter.  And I did say she should go with her husband, if he's willing, which means she'll have to discuss it with him first - at least to find out if he's willing.

34 minutes ago, AkaPatience said:

Like I mentioned,  I'm new here, so I may not be doing this correctly...ie, not responding to each comment individually...

My Stake Pres. definitely knows what page my H is on...he told me himself, " you realize he has one foot out the door..." our ward had a few changes back to back, (new Bishopric/new boundaries/another new Bishopric) around the time I had been in contact with my Bishop/Stake Pres regarding other issues and my H. So idk if his situation got passed on to the new Bishop or not, it seems not but honestly,  idk how it works exactly.  I have been a party to Ward Council meetings in the past and it seems as though this would have been made mention to the new Bishop. I would feel like I was at least "telling" on my H if I went to the Bishop, that's why I'm posing it here. Also, helping my H... this is going to sound harsh but that isn't my concern. I'm concerned about the ordinances. You can't help a narcissist. 

It sounds to me like you  need to remind your stake president, and have him the SP talk to your bishop. 

10 hours ago, AkaPatience said:

First time here, so I might be doing this wrong but I think it's long overdue!

Hello, I married my non member husband 35 years ago. He joined the church months later. He seemed eager and active for years but over the last 15 years has had issues with church history, etc... he has been quite vocal at church with his displeasure about many things. He doesn't wear his garments anymore, has no desire to have a reccomend, doesn't support/sustain the Brotheren, hasn't paid tithing in years...there's actually more, but I think you can get the idea... Here's my question: Should he be blessing the sacrament? Assisting with preisthood blessings for the sick? It doesn't seem right to me. I asked him what his response is when he's asked what religion he belongs to....he gave me a round-about answer.... I wish I could quote it, but he does not identify himself as L.D.S. even though he attends weekly.

Many members have challenges with their testimony.  There is no proof that God exists.  The evidence that God exists is very much up to one's interpretation. The only way to know of God's existence is through the power of the Holy Ghost.  There is no other way.  We are each going to have our testimony challenged.  Be kind and gentle to those that do, especially loved ones.  Being harsh with them only drives them away.  It certainly doesn't bring them closer.  

If your husband wants to participate in the priesthood, tread carefully.  Be happy that has some importance to him.

My wife has fallen away from the church and is in some goofy new age spirituality non-sense.  And although I really dislike that she is into it, I have made it a point to be respectful of it.  I hope one day she will feel the desire to come back.  but until that day, I have decided that being critical of her is of zero benefit.  

All you can do is to love them back.  His actions are between him and the Lord.  So be easy on judging him.  

2 minutes ago, Lost Boy said:

Many members have challenges with their testimony.  There is no proof that God exists.  The evidence that God exists is very much up to one's interpretation. The only way to know of God's existence is through the power of the Holy Ghost.  There is no other way.  We are each going to have our testimony challenged.  Be kind and gentle to those that do, especially loved ones.  Being harsh with them only drives them away.  It certainly doesn't bring them closer.  

If your husband wants to participate in the priesthood, tread carefully.  Be happy that has some importance to him.

My wife has fallen away from the church and is in some goofy new age spirituality non-sense.  And although I really dislike that she is into it, I have made it a point to be respectful of it.  I hope one day she will feel the desire to come back.  but until that day, I have decided that being critical of her is of zero benefit.  

All you can do is to love them back.  His actions are between him and the Lord.  So be easy on judging him.  

Amen.