Wish Me Luck

zil

20 minutes ago, zil said:

Gospel Library > Magazines > Friend > [scroll for eternity1] > [crud. I have to look through all 12? sigh. I'll be back in a while] > [to be continued...]

1Realize that I should feel old because you were in primary in 1989 and I was ... not.

I don't think they keep an online copy of those pages. You'll have to see if your ward library has old physical copies.

28 minutes ago, mordorbund said:

If you're ever digging through 1989 issues of the Friend

Well, I'm afraid nothing just screamed "mordorbund wrote me", so your identity is safe.

However, I did discover that @NeuroTypical was published in the June 1989 Friend under the pseudonym of "Ethel Jacobson".

3 minutes ago, mordorbund said:

I don't think they keep an online copy of those pages. You'll have to see if your ward library has old physical copies.

You don't think, you didn't check, you checked and it wasn't there, or you wanted me to give up before I got to December?

8 minutes ago, zil said:

Well, I'm afraid nothing just screamed "mordorbund wrote me", so your identity is safe.

However, I did discover that @NeuroTypical was published in the June 1989 Friend under the pseudonym of "Ethel Jacobson".

:roflmbo::rofl::haha:

8 minutes ago, zil said:

You don't think, you didn't check, you checked and it wasn't there, or you wanted me to give up before I got to December?

I checked the October 2018 and the October 1989 issues online and didn't see the child-input section where they send in their artwork and such.

1 hour ago, zil said:

Gospel Library > Magazines > Friend > [scroll for eternity1] > [crud. I have to look through all 12? sigh. I'll be back in a while] > [to be continued...]

1Realize that I should feel old because you were in primary in 1989 and I was ... not.

I used to read The Children's Friend faithfully.

1 minute ago, Vort said:

I used to read The Children's Friend faithfully.

Last year I discovered the Friend has "Fun Stuff".  So when a new issue comes out, I go straight for the "Find It" page under Fun Stuff.  When I'm done, I check whether the other Fun Stuff looks fun.  Then, if I'm still waiting for whatever it is I'm waiting for (which is usually when I think to check for new Fun Stuff), I might check out the rest of the issue.  (Yes, I'm hopeless.)

3 minutes ago, Vort said:

Musical Flight?

I wondered about that one too.  There was another, in the December issue, I think, that I also wondered about.

1 minute ago, zil said:

Last year I discovered the Friend has "Fun Stuff".  So when a new issue comes out, I go straight for the "Find It" page under Fun Stuff.  When I'm done, I check whether the other Fun Stuff looks fun.  Then, if I'm still waiting for whatever it is I'm waiting for (which is usually when I think to check for new Fun Stuff), I might check out the rest of the issue.  (Yes, I'm hopeless.)

I wonder if they have logic puzzles...

So, I saw this single woman's youtube channel vlogging about her nomadic RV Life.  Made me think of @zil.  She published 2 romance novels which gave her a little bit of money (I didn't realize publishing romance novels doesn't pay much!) so she can go buy a used RV and live like a nomad scraping money through writing blogs (among other writing things)!

15 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

So, I saw this single woman's youtube channel vlogging about her nomadic RV Life.  Made me think of @zil.  She published 2 romance novels which gave her a little bit of money (I didn't realize publishing romance novels doesn't pay much!) so she can go buy a used RV and live like a nomad scraping money through writing blogs (among other writing things)!

Publishing books of any sort doesn't generally pay much money.  According to Brandon Sanderson, it takes about 10 years to get to the point where you can quit your day job (but a portion of that is practice so you can write well enough to get published in the first place, and I've been doing that off and on for 30 years).  So I'm hoping it doesn't take me the full 10 years.  Depending on the unknown, I can survive that long before I have to sell my house and buy a mini RV.

The breakdown of the publishing industry (into volume by genre) is kinda interesting (and not good for fantasy writers - very small portion of the pie - but it's where I belong, so that's where I'll stay).  If I suddenly sprout the ability to write children's books, I'd stand a better chance of getting rich.  (Fortunately, I'm not interested in getting rich, just in writing.)  Either way, few people (percentage wise) get rich off writing books.

32 minutes ago, zil said:

Publishing books of any sort doesn't generally pay much money.  According to Brandon Sanderson, it takes about 10 years to get to the point where you can quit your day job (but a portion of that is practice so you can write well enough to get published in the first place, and I've been doing that off and on for 30 years).  So I'm hoping it doesn't take me the full 10 years.  Depending on the unknown, I can survive that long before I have to sell my house and buy a mini RV.

The breakdown of the publishing industry (into volume by genre) is kinda interesting (and not good for fantasy writers - very small portion of the pie - but it's where I belong, so that's where I'll stay).  If I suddenly sprout the ability to write children's books, I'd stand a better chance of getting rich.  (Fortunately, I'm not interested in getting rich, just in writing.)  Either way, few people (percentage wise) get rich off writing books.

Well I am sure that you will have a devoted and loving fan base!

12 hours ago, zil said:

Almost - Ethel was my daughter.  I did actually have a pony a while back - or more to the point our daughters did.  Older shetland.  We figured she used to be a circus pony, because whenever children were around, her eyes would glaze over and she'd start walking in circles.  She hated me with a passion, and I hated her back, but we both called a truce and tried to get along, because we both loved the daughters.   Bitey dang thing.  She enjoyed giving me little love nudges as I was trying to get around her, which would make my ribs squeak.  And I'm convinced she walked in more poop than she had to, just because she knew I had to clean out her hooves.   She also called me "dumb city boy" with her eyes whenever I tried to put a saddle on her. 

But yeah, daughter was in heaven, and there was much artwork and poetry and whatnot.

On 10/9/2018 at 8:37 PM, Vort said:

I wonder if they have logic puzzles...

To fill in the time I usually spend on FaceBook (I’m fasting from FaceBook this week), I have been doing logic problems.  I probably am not using my extra time as wisely as I should. 😇

On 10/8/2018 at 9:19 PM, Vort said:

GO, ZIL!

(As opposed to "Go zil", which suggests that "to zil" is a verb of some sort. Keep these things in mind when you start the class; they might come in very important, like remembering the comma in "Let's eat, Grandma.")

On 10/8/2018 at 9:54 PM, Fether said:

GOdZILa!

Apparently Fether is too young to be familiar with Gozilla.

@zil,

Best of luck to you.

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, zil said:

Everything is done.  Application complete, writing sample complete, email composed.  Off it goes tomorrow morning around 4, and then it will be in the hands of Brandon Sanderson's assistant. :pray::fingerscrossed:

Yeay!

Did you write it in fountain pen?  In shimmery ink?  That would be like... super cool.  Hah hah.

23 hours ago, zil said:

I don't get the comments on the right side of the box, from off-screen.  I'm hoping maybe those who follow the strip get it.

It's a conversation between two characters who just met. They're talking about the red-haired woman, who recently moved to take a semester course (didn't realize that connection to this topic until now). Dave is visiting from her old city.