Wish Me Luck

zil

On 10/8/2018 at 6:48 PM, zil said:

Tonight I started the application process for enrolling at BYU-Provo (continuing education, evening classes).  Now I need to go get interviewed by my bishop and a member of the stake presidency.  My application to Brandon Sanderson's workshop class is ready to go, along with my writing sample (thanks to an excellent reviewer here - you know who you are - thank you).  Submissions (for the class) will be accepted starting later this month.  Assuming BYU lets me in, and I'm selected as one of the 15 lucky souls who get into the class, I will be well on my way to being a professional writer.  (If that doesn't happen, I'll have to hobble on my way without the help.)

Feel free to share your own hopes / good fortune in this thread. :)

You should go to BYU-Idaho, it is a superior school.

10 minutes ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

You should go to BYU-Idaho, it is a superior school.

I was only applying to a single class, and that because of its focus and teacher.  I won't be going to either school (or any other).  I'll just be writing.

21 minutes ago, zil said:

I was only applying to a single class, and that because of its focus and teacher.  I won't be going to either school (or any other).  I'll just be writing.

I wish you could be my daughter's mentor.  She wants to be a writer as well.  And she dreams of being in Sanderson's class.

1 minute ago, Carborendum said:

I wish you could be my daughter's mentor.  She wants to be a writer as well.  And she dreams of being in Sanderson's class.

Well, apparently she needs a different mentor. :unsure:  The best thing is for her to write, and write, and write, and for her parents not to discourage her from doing so.

1 minute ago, zil said:

Well, apparently she needs a different mentor. :unsure:  The best thing is for her to write, and write, and write, and for her parents not to discourage her from doing so.

I've seen your work.  You are a great writer.  It just wasn't what Sanderson was looking for in a student.  That's all.  I would be very pleased if my daughter could write as well as you.

4 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I've seen your work.  You are a great writer.  It just wasn't what Sanderson was looking for in a student.  That's all.  I would be very pleased if my daughter could write as well as you.

Thank you.  That helps. :)  Maybe next year, when I'm settled into a routine, we could discuss.  Not all things have to be done in person.