Online Church Classes to fill the Sunday's Third Hour

ctr2961

Does anyone knows of any online classes about the church or the gospel?

A general authority made a comment that there were free online classes that was more class structured that focus on the church.  I know BYU and UVU has these classes for attendance, but I live on the East Coast. 

With being single(and no family support), the new family based study program will not help me, so I am looking for a class structure approach instead of sitting at home doing nothing.

10 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

You find the home curriculum here, but the link isn't live yet.

https://www.lds.org/manual/come-follow-me?lang=eng

Behold... the Live version

https://www.lds.org/languages/eng/lib/2019-come-follow-me

34 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

You find the home curriculum here, but the link isn't live yet.

https://www.lds.org/manual/come-follow-me?lang=eng

I know about this, and this it not what I wanted.  I was looking for a more structured class study with discussion from others or a online teacher, than sitting by myself on Sunday reading a self improvement website.  I want the third block to ask questions not sit and pray again.

How about this? https://byuonline.byu.edu/

What is BYU Online?

BYU Online is a semester based program which gives BYU students the opportunity to take certain courses online.

Courses start at the beginning of the semester, have set due dates throughout the semester to help keep you on track, and finish at the end of the semester.

Some courses are completely online, while others have varying degrees of in-person section-content. TA support is available online through email or video calls, and in person.

5 hours ago, ctr2961 said:

Does anyone knows of any online classes about the church or the gospel?

A general authority made a comment that there were free online classes that was more class structured that focus on the church.  I know BYU and UVU has these classes for attendance, but I live on the East Coast. 

With being single(and no family support), the new family based study program will not help me, so I am looking for a class structure approach instead of sitting at home doing nothing.

It was also suggested that some might want to form their own informal study groups.  Do you attend a singles ward?  Seems like the singles wards will probably start creating small home study groups.  

15 hours ago, zil said:

I expect it varies by institute teacher (unless the higher ups have laid down the law universally), but I attended one institute class where many of the students were older than 30 (some much, much older - like grandparents).  You might check out the institute classes in your area.

https://icl.lds.org/

I was told politely by the teacher to leave because it is only for YSA.  The was plenty of room and I was not interfering.  There was 50 desks and only 20 being used.  I was not asking questions and just taking notes.  I understand about teachers not wanting me to attend seminary, but Institute? 

13 hours ago, Searching said:

It was also suggested that some might want to form their own informal study groups.  Do you attend a singles ward?  Seems like the singles wards will probably start creating small home study groups.  

I am on the East Coast in the middle of nowhere.  Closest singles ward is over 2 hours away and it is not a ward but about 3 people who shows up for a singles class(30 mins).

20 minutes ago, ctr2961 said:

I was told politely by the teacher to leave because it is only for YSA.  The was plenty of room and I was not interfering.  There was 50 desks and only 20 being used.  I was not asking questions and just taking notes.  I understand about teachers not wanting me to attend seminary, but Institute? 

And there may not be enough concentration in your area for there to be an exception to the rule in the institute building across town.  I understand.

Also, frankly, I think there are two unwritten rules for institute:

1) It's the Latter-day Saint version of a singles' bar.  (The goal being to find eternal companions rather than one-night stands.  And "grown ups" in their midst might cramp their style.)

2) Grown ups are presumably farther along in their understanding of the gospel and we don't want to shut down the YSA's desire to respond by introducing someone who will always give "amazing" answers / comments.

(And even you sitting quietly in the back is a "threat" to these - which is why I suspect either the law was laid down by those on high, or it's just a very rare exception to have a class where older folk are permitted - in the class I mentioned, someone made waves, but the teacher had enough pull, and  guess there were enough other classes, that he got away with it for a few years.)

You could consider approaching your stake to see if they will implement an adult religion class (they have these in some places in Utah, but I don't see why your stake couldn't implement something like it in your area) to simulate institute, but open to all.

4 minutes ago, zil said:

And there may not be enough concentration in your area for there to be an exception to the rule in the institute building across town.  I understand.

Also, frankly, I think there are two unwritten rules for institute:

1) It's the Latter-day Saint version of a singles' bar.  (The goal being to find eternal companions rather than one-night stands.  And "grown ups" in their midst might cramp their style.)

2) Grown ups are presumably farther along in their understanding of the gospel and we don't want to shut down the YSA's desire to respond by introducing someone who will always give "amazing" answers / comments.

(And even you sitting quietly in the back is a "threat" to these - which is why I suspect either the law was laid down by those on high, or it's just a very rare exception to have a class where older folk are permitted - in the class I mentioned, someone made waves, but the teacher had enough pull, and  guess there were enough other classes, that he got away with it for a few years.)

You could consider approaching your stake to see if they will implement an adult religion class (they have these in some places in Utah, but I don't see why your stake couldn't implement something like it in your area) to simulate institute, but open to all.

1) I never thought of that!  Lol

2)  I never attending seminary or institute so I have a very low level knowledge of the Gospel readings.  The Sunday School is too advance for me. 

About being a "Threat"  I do understand from college classes where a rude "knowitall" student was removed because of a distruption of the classes.  Then shadowing of the classes was banned.

How do you approach the stake?  The only time I have access is when you get a temple recommend.

38 minutes ago, ctr2961 said:

How do you approach the stake?  The only time I have access is when you get a temple recommend. 

Good question.  I'm not sure.  I think I'd start with the stake Sunday School President and see how he reacts.  Depending on your drive and his reaction, I might try the following too:

* The stake RS President (of course, would imply only for the sisters)

* One of the High Council members

* The stake Public Affairs person - with the idea of inviting non-members or something to join in

* The stake Family History folks, but they'd probably only be interested in family history classes

...FWIW.