A movie we all love

Fether

After reading through the thread on over rated movies and participating in debates on how good certain movies are, I began to wonder. Are there any movies out there that we can all agree were/are fantastic?

Movies that may fit this are:

Lion King

Lord of the Rings Return of the King

Oceans 11

Monsters Inc.

Itallion Job

Thor Ragnarok

What is you think? Are there other movies you can think of that may be universally loved or at least not hated by anyone?

8 hours ago, Fether said:

After reading through the thread on over rated movies and participating in debates on how good certain movies are, I began to wonder. Are there any movies out there that we can all agree were/are fantastic?

Movies that may fit this are:

What is you think? Are there other movies you can think of that may be universally loved or at least not hated by anyone?

Lion King (maybe)

Lord of the Rings Return of the King (No)

Oceans 11 (No)  (Do you mean the original or the remake though?...either way...still No.  The old one is probably forgotten by the youth of today).

Monsters Inc. (??)

Itallion Job (do you mean The Italian Job?  if so...No)

Thor Ragnarok  (No).

8 hours ago, person0 said:

Aladdin

Maybe

Edited by JohnsonJones

Casablanca

Gone With The Wind

A New Hope

Empire Strikes Back

E. T.

Superman The Movie

Top Gun

The Matrix

Titanic

Predator

Terminator 1 and 2

Aliens (2nd movie)

The Notebook

Ever After

Oh Brother Where Art Thou

How To Train Your Dragon

Hundred Foot Journey

Hitch

X-Men

Thor Ragnarok

20 minutes ago, Midwest LDS said:

Universally loved? I have my favorites (some are on your list, mine are the Lord of the Rings and Star Wars trilogies) but I don't think there is any movie where you won't find at least a few people who don't like it. 

Universally does not equal All.  Rather, universally is a "statistical everybody" (you don't count the outliers).

By the way,@Carborendum, my husband and I doesn't have a theme song but... we have a theme movie.  And just to make sure that I'm not just projecting that we have a theme movie, I asked my husband just now what our theme movie is and he said The Matrix.  Made my heart melt.  It's a very rare thing that he does romantic stuff and him validating our theme movie is super romantic!  I'm gonna be walking on cloud 9 for the rest of the day.

2 hours ago, Midwest LDS said:

Universally loved? I have my favorites (some are on your list, mine are the Lord of the Rings and Star Wars trilogies) but I don't think there is any movie where you won't find at least a few people who don't like it. 

I think this is probably accurate.   Many of the movies one may say were universally loved by my generation, no one who is under the age of 40 even knows about, and a majority of the movies that come out that the younger generation loves today my generation probably don't have as high a view of.

Finding that cross section where everyone loves or at least doesn't have a complaint about probably is pretty hard to find.

I love Westerns but I think most people today are not interested in them.  On the otherhand a lot of people today seem to love Science Fiction and Fantasy (this includes the super hero movies that are so popular today as well) instead.

3 minutes ago, JohnsonJones said:

I think this is probably accurate.   Many of the movies one may say were universally loved by my generation, no one who is under the age of 40 even knows about, and a majority of the movies that come out that the younger generation loves today my generation probably don't have as high a view of.

Finding that cross section where everyone loves or at least doesn't have a complaint about probably is pretty hard to find.

I love Westerns but I think most people today are not interested in them.  On the otherhand a lot of people today seem to love Science Fiction and Fantasy (this includes the super hero movies that are so popular today as well) instead.

Agreed on the generational thing. I usually am not a fan of older movies, although I have a soft spot for old war flicks like The Longest Day and Midway. Those were pretty popular in their day, but I don't know how many people my age or younger would put them on a universally loved film list.

24 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

Band Of Brothers

Blackhawk Down

American Sniper

13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers Of Benghazi

12 Strong

Seriously, dude?  You holding back or something?  I thought your list would be like... Psycho, Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, Texas Chainsaw Massacre...

You haven't seen The Lion King, until you've seen my daughter's class play of the Lion King, where adult Simba is played by the biggest girl in the class, because she's the only one that can lift another student.  Not that the kissing scene between Simba and Nala was awkward or nothin'.  Artists sacrifice more than we'll ever know.