My lovely commute this morning

Guest Scott

This is still early in the season, what happens when the depths of winter hit?

Spring is the snowy time here.  Here is the nearest weather station to here:

https://wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?co0185

allens.thumb.PNG.6bd0c6b814658ca8278bdbd81bf18425.PNG

May gets as much snow as December and April gets about twice that of any winter month.    

I'm just working here temporarily; less than a year.   Compared to home, it gets more snow here, but doesn't get cold.   It might drop into the -20's occasionally, but that's not cold compared to where I live.

I live near Maybell, where it can drop to -60 on occasion (or get over 100 in the summer):

may.PNG.c9f3d3046147f4b18e320022d085bb6f.PNG

Edited by Scott

OHHH... I LOVE ESTES PARK!  I was there last year for Christmas and New Year.  Went through that "The Shining" hotel, can't remember the name of it now.  Believe it or not, that was the first time my kids, who are now teen-agers, have seen snow falling out of the sky.

2 hours ago, anatess2 said:

OHHH... I LOVE ESTES PARK!  I was there last year for Christmas and New Year.  Went through that "The Shining" hotel, can't remember the name of it now.  Believe it or not, that was the first time my kids, who are now teen-agers, have seen snow falling out of the sky.

Does that mean your family's anti-snow powers are gone?

M.

Whoa. Way too early for me to see the white stuff. 

Meanwhile - we had a tornado warning yesterday afternoon, right when I got off from work. Do you know what they do on campus when there's a tornado warning (of the 'take shelter' variety)?  The ##($$  campus bus drivers pull over and find shelter. That means that the HUNDREDS of people waiting for a campus bus to get home or to their cars in far away commuter lots, are just standing there. Watching the storm clouds. I was out there for thirty minutes and there were already people piled up at the bus stop when I got there, so some folks must have been waiting almost an hour.

Because I'm at the curmudgeon stage of life, the first thing I did this morning was to send the bus system a 'note' with my feelings about being left waiting. I was told it's their policy to make the buses stop. We're on our own - tho we might want to find shelter, too.  Gee, really?  Not so easy at some stops...  Oh - and do you know what happens when people have been waiting an hour for a bus? The bus gets crowded as heck. Some people can't get on and have to wait even longer as you guys get your act together. 

Yes, we all got an alert telling us to take shelter, but nobody does - especially when the tornado was nowhere near campus. Talk to me when Dorothy is flying over the main library. 

And if my husband and I didn't decide on raising our children in the US, we'd be working here instead.

miniloc-island.jpg

There are sooooo many awesome spots on the planet.  Even in places where people have to face unspeakable evil.  There's no place in the world where the beauty of God's creation is not made manifest.  I try to spend each day pausing to admire it.

7 minutes ago, lostinwater said:

Gotta represent Seattle here.  @Vort makes it sound like such a terrible place... :) 

On the contrary, even after living here five years in my youth and over 22 years as an adult, I still walk outside and say to myself (or others, if they're around), "We live in what might be the most beautiful place in the world." I actually just said that to new ward friends last week during a Scout outing. My objection is the überleftist politics, and specifically the increasing intolerance for any free thought or deviation from the Big Brother norm, that is becoming so prevalent in the Seattle area. The place itself, for physical beauty, is unmatched by anyplace else I know of.

Just now, Vort said:

On the contrary, even after living here five years in my youth and over 22 years as an adult, I still walk outside and say to myself (or others, if they're around), "We live in what might be the most beautiful place in the world." I actually just said that to new ward friends last week during a Scout outing. My objection is the überleftist politics, and specifically the increasing intolerance for any free thought or deviation from the Big Brother norm, that is becoming so prevalent in the Seattle area. The place itself, for physical beauty, is unmatched by anyplace else I know of.

:) Just teasing.

Yes, agree!  And believe me, i will happily (sadly?) commiserate with anyone about just about every city council within 60 miles of Seattle.  Heaven help us.  

1 hour ago, anatess2 said:

There's no place in the world where the beauty of God's creation is not made manifest.  I try to spend each day pausing to admire it.

Victor Frankl made a startling observation when he was living in one of the Nazi concentration camps during WWII that still makes me reflect.  There he was, imprisoned and weak and starving to death and surrounded by death, and still when he looked up at the incredible vista of the Alps, it's beauty made him breathless and grateful.  There were things that could be taken away from you in those situations, and things that couldn't.  Apparently, the ability to appreciate beauty doesn't go away just because you are starving and near death.

Edited by NeuroTypical

8 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Oh sure... just brag about your Colorado lives.

I don't have a commute - the joys of stay home mothers who have driving-age children - but I can always drive here anytime I desire at any time of the day.

t-f3_family_vacations_in_florida_me_5799

Looks like the grass is getting a bit long Tess, you'd better bring your lawn mower next time you go. :)