If you had your pick of the bunch, what calling would you want and why?

Manners Matter

My favorite: primary pianist. It's an opportunity to be involved in music, but low stress (unlike say choir pianist) because the primary kids are not too worried about you making mistakes. And, it is usually a lot of fun to be in primary, when you aren't the one in charge of entertaining the little tykes.

2 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

I would like to work in the Family History Center especially with those who have little experience with computers and databases. I had promised myself that I would retire and do this semi full-time. I do not think that I will retire at 60 or even 70 so this dream is fading.

FHC is my favorite too.  Though Activity Days is also a blast (I'm sure it'll be different with the new program though).

I always enjoyed being in presidencies or other leadership positions. EQP, Sunday school President, Bishop, etc.

My VERY close second is quorum instructor or gospel doctrine teacher. I absolutely love teaching!!

14 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

I would like to work in the Family History Center especially with those who have little experience with computers and databases. I had promised myself that I would retire and do this semi full-time. I do not think that I will retire at 60 or even 70 so this dream is fading.

Why wait to be called? Volunteer your talents there and in your ward.

2 hours ago, MormonGator said:

Ward Missionary leader. I like spending time with the missionaries. Always have. 

Does your Ward do *Splits* [or whatever it is now called] with the missionaries. Our Branch does with the Sister Missionaries. Great way for the sisters to get to know the less active &&&& the Sister Missionaries.

1 hour ago, LadyGunnar said:

I don't  know. I liked cub scouts many years ago.  It's changed so much since then. I am in nursery right now. I feel stuck. I am with my kids all the time and would have loved a small break.

Have you told your Primary President &/or Bishop how you feel? Chances are fairly good you could be changed to a calling away from your kiddo's. Let them know.

35 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Greeter.

Would be good to make me obligated to not be late for Sacrament Meeting.  And wearing a smile always looks great with my Sunday dress.

Does your Ward now have a called greeter? If not, why don't you volunteer and show up without a calling? Our Branch has a called greeter, but we also have 4 members who show up and help him. Most times there just isn't enough room there in our tiny little hallway in front of the chapel doors. But it is great for visitors to be greeted by 5 smiling faces!

My favorite calling was Librarian, until the presidencies [all of them] didn't back me up aka sustain aka support me. Pretty hard to do your calling when the clerk/branch presidency is giving the key to the library to anyone who asks even though I am right there next to them or somewhere in our small building !!!

Next one is Resident Branch Cranky Old White Haired Sister. THAT calling I am perfect for. 😲

Edited by Iggy

I already have two of my three dream callings.  Ward Clerk and Institute Teacher.  In four years, I going to give up the Clerk thing and volunteer to be the Seminary Teacher (my other dream calling) for eight years.  

At that point, I'll be ready to be turned out to pasture (yup, I'll be 50).

8 minutes ago, Iggy said:

My favorite calling was Librarian, until the presidencies [all of them] didn't back me up aka sustain aka support me. Pretty hard to do your calling when the clerk/branch presidency is giving the key to the library to anyone who asks even though I am right there next to them or somewhere in our small building !!!

Next one is Resident Branch Cranky Old White Haired Sister. THAT calling I am perfect for. 😲

I gave all of the presidents (just the presidents) a key to the library so that they could get access to the copier during mid-week activities.  Sorry.

8 minutes ago, Iggy said:

Have you told your Primary President &/or Bishop how you feel? Chances are fairly good you could be changed to a calling away from your kiddo's. Let them know.

They know. I was called because I was in there a lot with my son. I was trying to get him used to being in there alone. 

They have a hard time getting anyone to help in there. I have 2 little ones and it was impossible to be in class and the older one refused to go to nursery alone. I think they figured I was in there already, so why not call me to it.  I do feel like I will never get him to be okay with being alone there and he is supposed to going to sunbeams in Jan. I don't see that happening.

It's hard. We have been in this ward 18 months and I know no adults at all.

I

Guest MormonGator
9 minutes ago, LadyGunnar said:

😟

I'm sorry that's happening to you. I wish all wards did more to make people feel at home. 

Guest MormonGator
31 minutes ago, Iggy said:

Does your Ward do *Splits* [or whatever it is now called] with the missionaries. Our Branch does with the Sister Missionaries. Great way for the sisters to get to know the less active &&&& the Sister Missionaries.

I'm not sure. That's a very good question I'll look into it! 

18 minutes ago, LadyGunnar said:

They know. I was called because I was in there a lot with my son. I was trying to get him used to being in there alone. 

They have a hard time getting anyone to help in there. I have 2 little ones and it was impossible to be in class and the older one refused to go to nursery alone. I think they figured I was in there already, so why not call me to it.  I do feel like I will never get him to be okay with being alone there and he is supposed to going to sunbeams in Jan. I don't see that happening.

I

You are a great prospect for ministering - Let you RS know how you feel.  It is best to get to know members outside of church anyway.  You can both minister and be ministered to.   I remember when the wife and I were young we organized a group and would take turns watching kids (for free) while others went to the temple and other social things.  We became life long friends that have lasted long past ward divisions and moving.  Even our kids were friends because they were together for our adult stuff.  I had a son fly from SLC to Seattle to take a girl to her Jr Prom because she was not asked.  Also we had families plain their yearly vacations to come spend time with us after we moved - They joined us white water rafting and camping.  Best friends ever.

The Traveler