Stop Harassing Websites That Haven’t Dropped the Word “Mormon” Yet

The internet is full of well-meaning members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints that have turned their passion for the gospel into websites, Facebook pages, Instagram accounts, YouTube channels, etc. A large portion of them contain the now four-letter terms, "Mormon" and "LDS," in their names. Since President Russell M. Nelson's admonition to emphasize the correct name of the Church, these entities have fallen under attack by two groups of people. Some comments from the second group of people, described below. The first group is composed of the Church's critics. This backlash was (and is) fully expected. There will always be those who jump on any opportunity to point the finger of scorn. But the second group was more surprising. It's composed of Latter-day Saints, assuredly trying their best to be faithful. Unfortunately, in their attempts to sincerely follow the prophet, they seem to feel called to traverse the internet, handing out condemnation cards to any entity that has yet to make corrections to their names. And in...

View the full article

Very reasonable article (and by Snell -- bonus). While we have been asked to avoid using "LDS" and "Mormon" when referring to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as well as its members , the injunction to avoid the term "Latter-day Saints" alone applies only to references to the Church, not to its members. The people, members of the Church of Jesus Christ, are indeed called "Latter-day Saints", and using "LDS" (as a common abbreviation for "Latter-day Saint") to refer to them seems appropriate. Thus, I would think that LDSSingles is perfectly okay, at least as far as its name goes. (Whether using a reference to the Church or gospel is appropriate in a business context is another matter.)

Edited by Vort
I've edited this somewhat a week later for clarity. Hope it's more clear, not less. No promises.

Glad to get some clarification! I have recently been interviewed by a number of doctors and I have had to explain the non drinking thing. I just gave the name of the church because I was not sure about the noun that described me.

I was being interviewed by a doctor recently who kept asking me about my level of alcohol consumption and refused to believe that I did not consume alcohol. I explained that this was a religious tenet. THIS she refused to believe and she then wanted to know what religion. Very odd woman. I told her that I was Christian and she protested that Catholics drank. I gave her the name of the church but she found it very difficult to believe that a Christian did not drink.

If I were to guess her religion, I might have guessed Muslim. Perhaps some Muslim women have a low opinion of Christian behaviour? This is the second female doctor, one definitely muslium and the second possible, who has had a hard time believing the religious non drinking role. I wonder what they are taught about Christianity? 

Edited by Sunday21

21 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

...I explained that this was a religious tenet. THIS she refused to believe and she then wanted to know what religion. Very odd woman. I told her that I was Christian and she protested that Catholics drank. I gave her the name of the church but she found it very difficult to believe that a Christian did not drink.

If I were to guess her religion, I might have guessed Muslim. Perhaps some Muslim women have a low opinion of Christian behaviour? This is the second female doctor, one definitely muslium and the second possible, who has had a hard time believing the religious non drinking role. I wonder what they are taught about Christianity? 

Alcohol is not allowed for a Muslim, so if she was questioning that your religion did not allow alcohol consumption then chances are she was not a Muslim.

M.

9 hours ago, Maureen said:

Alcohol is not allowed for a Muslim, so if she was questioning that your religion did not allow alcohol consumption then chances are she was not a Muslim.

M.

Or, it could be that she's so used to Muslims being the only ones who don't drink for religious purposes, and Christians having no religious reason not to drink, that she's honestly having a hard time believing that a Christian (whom she may lump in with all the rest of them) believes drinking is wrong for religious reasons.

9 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

I was being interviewed by a doctor recently who kept asking me about my level of alcohol consumption and refused to believe that I did not consume alcohol. I explained that this was a religious tenet. THIS she refused to believe and she then wanted to know what religion. Very odd woman. I told her that I was Christian and she protested that Catholics drank. I gave her the name of the church but she found it very difficult to believe that a Christian did not drink.

As part of getting my security clearance, I had to go get interviewed by a psychiatrist.  He had all the stuff I'd already filled out, so he knew I was a Latter-day Saint.  Both of my brothers had served missions and he wanted to know if I saw this job (working at the embassy in Russia) as my mission.  I told him it doesn't work that way, that when you're a missionary, that's all you do, you don't have another job.  He then asked me some unrelated questions and then came back to this, asking how the missionary pays his way if he can't work.  I explained that the missionary saves up money beforehand, and if needed, his family contributes, and friends can, and if all that isn't not enough, donations from Church members are used.  He was baffled by this.  Came back to it several times, repeatedly asking, "they pay their own way for 2 years and do nothing else?"  I found it mildly amusing that he couldn't get over the way our missionary program works. :)

Edited by zil

16 minutes ago, zil said:

Or, it could be that she's so used to Muslims being the only ones who don't drink for religious purposes, and Christians having no religious reason not to drink, that she's honestly having a hard time believing that a Christian (whom she may lump in with all the rest of them) believes drinking is wrong for religious reasons.

Yes! I think that she had a low opinion of Christian women! Drunken heretics!

Funny security clearance story! Similar level of curious questioning! We are a peculiar people.  

Just now, Sunday21 said:

Yes! I think that she had a low opinion of Christian women! Drunken heretics!

Funny security clearance story! Similar level of curious questioning! We are a peculiar people.  

It could also be reflective of people in your area.

In the US and some parts of the world there are many who choose not to drink.  Southern Baptist can be far more strict on dietary and other restrictions than those in our church (for example, they have some beliefs of no rock and roll, no dancing, and other various prohibitions).  Some choose not to drink after being alcoholics and attending AA.

31 minutes ago, JohnsonJones said:

It could also be reflective of people in your area.

In the US and some parts of the world there are many who choose not to drink.  Southern Baptist can be far more strict on dietary and other restrictions than those in our church (for example, they have some beliefs of no rock and roll, no dancing, and other various prohibitions).  Some choose not to drink after being alcoholics and attending AA.

.  Some choose not to drink after being alcoholics and attending AA.

Yes. I am very suspicious of the finding that those who do not drink have a shorter lifespan. I am convinced that in the non drinking group, not removed from the analysis, are people with illnesses and former alcoholics.