Coming Back to the Church

Hi all,

So, after considering it after sometime I'd love to come back to the church. However, I believe my name was removed about 8 or so years ago after I was baptized 3 years before that. Would it be alright for me to walk back into the nearest ward to where I live now in Los Angeles (since I moved to Cali from Florida where I was baptized)? I'm not sure of the process especially now since I was inactive for so many years dealing with a bad break up which partly led to me leaving the church but also moving across the country and building my career. I'd love some genuine input. 

I still keep in touch with some of the families and friends from my old ward in Florida but feel awkward reaching out to them about it. My heart just feels its right for me and have been really considering returning. 

Thank you guys for any and all your help! 

If you were not excommunicated (which you would almost certainly have been told about) and if you didn't request your name to be removed from the rolls of the Church, then you are still a member. Just go to your nearest ward and talk to the bishop. He'll check up, figure out your status, and let you know where things stand.

All the best to you. Welcome home.

Yes, it is more than alright for you to walk into the nearest building.  If you want to start the return process, you should use the meeting-house-locator tool to find where and when your current ward (based on your address) meet.  That way, you can work with your bishop (when you're ready) to start the process of coming back.  And yes, you can be rebaptized.  If that's what you decide to do, your bishop and ward will help you to prepare for that.  I'm confident they'll be glad to see you. :)

People you meet might ask if you're a member, so you might want to think ahead about how much you'll tell them and how - you certainly don't have to tell them anything you don't want to / aren't ready to.

16 hours ago, zil said:

Yes, it is more than alright for you to walk into the nearest building.  If you want to start the return process, you should use the meeting-house-locator tool to find where and when your current ward (based on your address) meet.  That way, you can work with your bishop (when you're ready) to start the process of coming back.  And yes, you can be rebaptized.  If that's what you decide to do, your bishop and ward will help you to prepare for that.  I'm confident they'll be glad to see you. :)

People you meet might ask if you're a member, so you might want to think ahead about how much you'll tell them and how - you certainly don't have to tell them anything you don't want to / aren't ready to.

IF as @Vort stated he has NOT been excommunicated or requested that his name be removed, then NO he does not get to be re-baptized.  Members will ask if he is a member, and he should just say Yes, I have been inactive but want to come into full activity. If these members are on top of their stuff, they will introduce him to the Ward Membership Clerk. So, @BlondeMormonBoyAdam you will need to know what Ward or Branch, Stake, State you were baptized at. What MM/DD/YY would be helpful, but not necessary if you know the place.

Then if the membership clerk is on top of his stuff, he will then introduce you to the Bishop. With him you really should be very honest. Tell him why you left the church. then let the Holy Ghost lead/guide you from there.

Just now, Iggy said:

IF as @Vort stated he has NOT been excommunicated or requested that his name be removed, then NO he does not get to be re-baptized. 

Adam said in a previous thread that he asked to have his name removed.  Now maybe no one followed through on that, or maybe they did.  Either way, his bishop will know, and if needed, he can get baptized again.

2 minutes ago, Iggy said:

So, @BlondeMormonBoyAdam you will need to know what Ward or Branch, Stake, State you were baptized at.

No, his date of birth and full name are enough (unless there are two members with the exact same name and DOB, then they'll ask more info).  If he can remember that stuff, it may help, but it's not necessary.

I did exactly what you are proposing!

Walked into the building and greeted with enthusiasm and love by my new ward. Records transferred quickly and now feel like part of the furniture and as if I was never away.

Best foot forward

Edited by KScience
Poor grammar and incorrect spelling