I thought everyone was on MST...but no

dahlia

So, we're supposed to have stake conference. I thought it was last night and today. I didn't go last night, but got up headed out for conference this morning. When I got to church, there wasn't a line of cars trying to get in the lot, no unattended children running between cars like maniacs, nobody & nothing. I thought it was just another manifestation of MST, but when I got into the building I realized right away something was wrong.

#*$($#  Stake conference is NEXT weekend. I went home until time for church.

This wasn't the first time I've arrived on time for an event and no one else was there. It used to make me doubt my sanity until someone told me about MST.  I only have to get myself out of the house; I guess others find it more difficult to get out because people are always late.

I don't have the luxury of forgetting EST because of my job but man... if you count all the ESTs (and EDSTs for that matter) over the years since I've been LDS, I am absolutely certain I did not make it to Sunday Services more often than I did.  That idiot time change really messes with my psyche.

On 10/21/2018 at 5:58 PM, dahlia said:

...This wasn't the first time I've arrived on time for an event and no one else was there. It used to make me doubt my sanity until someone told me about MST.  I only have to get myself out of the house; I guess others find it more difficult to get out because people are always late.

MST, as in "Mormon" Standard Time?

M.

I'm in charge of setting up the AV systems for broadcasts at our building.  I get there 90 minutes early and blast my music through the empty building and run back and forth adjusting volume controls.  About 45 minutes before the broadcast starts, I have to switch from my personal music to more reverent fare from the church audio channel.  One or two people will come early and sit in the empty chapel wanting to feel the spirit.  It's basically the 3 or 4 of us until like 8 minutes before start.  Then I blink, and suddenly the room is full of people.  They do keep arriving until around 20 minutes after things start.

This is an international trend. I know I am an oddity and like to arrive in time to sit and have some quiet time before sacrament.

A couple of weeks ago I was sat as usual and the only other people present were the Bishop and his family and the RS president with her family. We were joking that church had been cancelled and no one had thought to tell us ;). A few minutes before the scheduled start people began to arrive. Not usually that bad but a closed motorway disrupted people more than usual.

First off - I am a proponent of world time.  Lets do away with time zones and the international date line!!!

But I do have a question - What does the forum think - is it the brethren or the sisters most responsible for families being late for scheduled events?

The Traveler

36 minutes ago, Traveler said:

First off - I am a proponent of world time.  Lets do away with time zones and the international date line!!!

Meaning we strictly use local solar time? In our modern internet world with crystal-based clocks, I think this is doable, though it will make long-distance meeting scheduling a bit more complicated. I guess I'd be okay with that. Better than Daylight Saving Time.

As for the International Date Line, it would still be there, because the Japanese would not suddenly decide to be the last, not the first, to experience the day. And to track the day between nations for commercial and other reasons, we would still effectively use a date line. Here is where the time issue gets tricky; not using local solar time vs. time zones, but choosing a calendar. If everyone worldwide then just broke off into using their own, non-Gregorian calendar systems, then computer age or not, I'd be in favor of keeping our present system rather than have everyone name the day based on local custom.

2 hours ago, Traveler said:

So it's 5:00 everywhere? That part seems sensible to me, but having the date suddenly change in the middle of the morning or afternoon would take some getting used to for people in those parts of the world.