What book would you force people to read?

Guest MormonGator

Guest MormonGator

Putting scripture aside, if it was up to you, what book would you force people to read?

For me, it would be "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie. I meet so many people in life who treat people like garbage than wonder why they are lonely and miserable. More than that, I meet so many shy people who just can't connect with others-and are lonely and miserable. That book was life changing for me-it seriously changed how I view social interactions. 

Any other ideas? 

21 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Putting scripture aside, if it was up to you, what book would you force people to read?

For me, it would be "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie. I meet so many people in life who treat people like garbage than wonder why they are lonely and miserable. More than that, I meet so many shy people who just can't connect with others-and are lonely and miserable. That book was life changing for me-it seriously changed how I view social interactions. 

Any other ideas? 

Lord of the Rings 1-3

I feel if people were just exposed to a brilliantly devised fantasy world, more athletes would be less inclined to make fun of “geeks”. I have a good friend who was on the starting line up for the UCLA football team. After every match he would go home and play Skyrim, world of Warcraft or read brandon Sanderson books. Stuff “geeky” thing that kids are made fun of for loving. Nicest guy I have ever met, one of the most athletic (Could bench twice his body weight (and he was BIG)) and also one of the only guys I know that is proud of his D&D playing.

“The power of habit” by Charles Duhigg

”Rich Dad Poor Dad” (though I wonder if the lessons in this book would be as applicable if everyone was applying it and not just the “1%”)

Edited by Fether

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, Fether said:

I feel if people were just exposed to a brilliantly devised fantasy world, more athletes would be less inclined to make fun of “geeks”.

I'd love for that to happen, but I think people are going to make fun of others no matter what. It's happened since the dawn of time, it happens now. It's not changing, sadly. 

5 minutes ago, dahlia said:

Carnegie's book would be good.

Thanks @dahlia. Sadly, I think it's one of those books where those who really need to read it never will. 

1 minute ago, MormonGator said:

I'd love for that to happen, but I think people are going to make fun of others no matter what. It's happened since the dawn of time, it happens now. It's not changing, sadly. 

Reading LOTR will bring universal peace and bring about the millenium

Im sure of it 

Guest MormonGator
Just now, Fether said:

Reading LOTR will bring universal peace and bring about the millenium

Im sure of it 

:: snickers :: I've always thought the book and the movies were a little overrated. Sorry bud. 

Well, partially because i would want to give someone options to choose from if i were forcing them to do something, and mostly because i can't give just one and citing the former gives me an excuse....

1.  Anna Karenina.  i love just about all things Tolstoy.  But the way this one is narrated - it provides such an honest look into the complex and mixed nature of all of us. 

2.  Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo.  It's such a brutally honest look at the horrific senselessness experienced by so many in extreme poverty.

3.  Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson.  It changed how i view our system of justice, and those who find themselves within it.

If they refused to select one from those three, have them read Endurance - Shackleton's Incredible Voyage.  And if they didn't like that, we'd need to consider evaluation by a competent psychiatrist.  :) 

Ugh - i've left so many good ones out.  

I couldn't just choose one book, so I will provide multiple I would "force" (I have the power!) people to read for intellectual growth:

1) Crucial Conversations - by Kerry Patterson and Joseph Grenny

2) As a Man Thinketh - by James Allen

3) To Be Human - by J. Krishnamurti

4) Good to Great - by Jim Collins

5) Man Search for Meaning - by Viktor Frankl

I couldn't just choose one book, so I will provide multiple I would "force" (I have the power!) people to read for entertainment:

1) White Fang by Jack London

2) The Chronicle of Prydain - by Lloyd Alexander

3) The Giver - by Lois Lowry

4) Lord of the Rings

5) Chronicles of Narnia

6) A Tale of Two Cities

7) The Count of Monte Cristo

Guest MormonGator
25 minutes ago, lostinwater said:

i love just about all things Tolstoy. 

I think everyone who likes reading does. AK is perhaps the greatest novel ever written. 

11 minutes ago, Anddenex said:

I couldn't just choose one book,

I'm a little surprised you read books. I thought coloring in them was more your style. 

(just kidding @Anddenex

The Alexiad by Anna Komnene. A first rate history of the Emperor Alexios and Byzantine (or Eastern Roman as I like to remind everyone because I'm pedantic like that😁) views of the First Crusade(Anna was Alexios's daughter). Also, Moscow 1812 by Adam Zamoyski. An excellent history of Napoleon's march on Moscow, that also includes first hand accounts from the common troops. 

Edited by Midwest LDS

1 hour ago, Anddenex said:

I couldn't just choose one book, so I will provide multiple I would "force" (I have the power!) people to read for intellectual growth:

1) Crucial Conversations - by Kerry Patterson and Joseph Grenny

Such a good choice. I might prefer Crucial Accountability to Crucial Conversations because I find it more accessible for some reason. I felt like Crucial Conversations was great, but left me confused in places and needing to backtrack, but Crucial Accountability made more sense all the way through. I'd also strongly encourage Change Anything and Influencer in the same line of great books. All worth the read.

I wouldn't force anybody to read anything because I don't agree with the method and think people forced to read it would be less likely to reap the benefits than those reading by choice. However, I do wish that more people would expose themselves to good information on taking charge of their own health and not just counting on the medical system to bail them out, which it can't anyway. It saddens me that so many people are still unaware that heart disease and diabetes can be reversed with proper lifestyle management. 

43 minutes ago, SpiritDragon said:

I wouldn't force anybody to read anything because I don't agree with the method and think people forced to read it would be less likely to reap the benefits than those reading by choice.

Oh come on SpiritDragon, this is the time to truly play devil's advocate with all power! :evilbanana:

I would force everyone in the world to read the collected works of Akkadian literature, starting with the myths and Hammurabi's Code.

In the original cuneiform.

This would provide no immediate benefit to anyone. But it would make everyone learn cuneiform, which would be kind of cool, and it would force people to get a basic understanding of an ancient Near Eastern culture that underlies a lot of our thinking today. And people would have to learn the difference between the Babylonian Empire and the Assyrian Empire, which always trips me up.

Not that those are the reasons I would do it. It's more like, if I get to make everyone read something, I'm sure as heck not going to settle for some book written in Europe or the Americas in the last few centuries. Nosiree Bob. If I have the Ultimate Power to make every person in the whole world read something, we're going to read something off the beaten path. Ancient Akkadian literature FTW!

Everyone interested in interfaith dialogue must read: 

How Wide the Divide? A Mormon & an Evangelical in Conversation
by Craig Blomberg and Stephen E. Robinson

These professors are respectful and yet direct. The book is over 20 years old, but does a great job of engaging core doctrinal issues. Of course, neither author is an official spokesperson, yet both held substantial academic positions in the faith community they represent. A great example of convicted conversation!

The Book of Matthew...

Or, the New Testament if that's acceptable.

<_<

Book of Mormon?

:sunny:

You mean something NOT religious?

Is "Goodnight Moon" acceptable?

At least it's a quick read and the pain is over quick.  Plus, your grandkids might appreciate it every so often.

:digowngrave:

Edited by JohnsonJones

15 hours ago, MormonGator said:

Any other ideas? 

There are at least two books not necessarily in this order:

The Law by Frederic Bastiat -- I would require this book especially in the USA so all citizens would understand the basis of our Constitution and what constitutes the "Rule of Law".   Though the book was written almost 200 years ago I believe it clearly points out how politics has devolved constitutional law into the hate based politics to divide otherwise free peoples from liberty.

The Richest Man in Babylon by George Samuel Clason - I would require this book so individuals could understand that failure to be economically solvent is not just foolish and stupid but criminal and evil - aimed mostly at one's self.  I believe the principles are explained better than "Rich Man Poor Man".   For example, I find the comparison of certain bad spending habits akin to cannibalizing and eating your own children interesting and on point. 

The Traveler

Well, 'force' is a bit strong for me.  But I'm on record several places saying something like "When they make me Emperor of the restored church, everyone will have to read these before they can get baptized". 

Valley of Sorrow: A Layman's Guide to Understanding Mental Illness by Alexander B. Morrison of the Seventy

“Judge Not” and Judging by Elder Dallin H. Oaks, August 1999 Ensign

I figure if everyone just read those two things, the church would be at least 20% cooler. 

Edited by NeuroTypical

None.

As I've experienced with my then 13-year-old, being forced to read How To Kill A Mockingbird totally ruined the book for him.  It wasn't until lately that he picked up the book on his own and appreciated it.

Well, actually... I'm gonna force everybody to read Divergent and Twilight so they will hate it as much as I do.

Edited by anatess2