What book would you force people to read?

Guest MormonGator

Guest MormonGator
31 minutes ago, let’s roll said:

Or at least listen to it while they pick up trash along the freeway.  That would redefine cruel and unusual punishment.

In fairness, the author of those books (whose name escapes me and I don't really care enough to Google it) did something many of us would sell our souls for. She got millions of people to pay attention to her art, and more importantly, pay money to read it. No matter how terrible her books are, that's still extremely impressive.  

Edited by MormonGator

Guest LiterateParakeet
On 10/22/2018 at 9:34 AM, anatess2 said:

As I've experienced with my then 13-year-old, being forced to read How To Kill A Mockingbird totally ruined the book for him.  It wasn't until lately that he picked up the book on his own and appreciated it.

I know what you mean.  The Good Earth is among my favorite books, a powerful story about the pride cycle, and yet everyone I know what was forced to read it in high school hates it.  It's no wonder teenagers don't have the life experience needed to really appreciate that book, in my opinion.  It's a wonderful book; I highly recommend it.

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 1:14 AM, MormonGator said:

...if it was up to you, what book would you force people to read?

Depends what people:

• BMW drivers: "The New Expanded French-English Dictionary" (in 20 volumes, including the 50-page introduction by Professor Slytherin Dullman).
  • People who throw empty beer cans and chip packets on the sidewalk 20 feet from a litter bin: "Economic History of Belarus 1841-1901" by Martin Drudge and Elliot Rubblethorn.
  • Dog-lovers who not only hate cats, but give cat-lovers a hard time: "Mr. Tiddles Likes His Supper" by Dame Harriet Kitticute.
  • Dr. Richard "Atheism Plus" Carrier Ph.D.: "Professor Bumble-Brain's Big Bumper Book of the Bible".
Edited by Jamie123

On 10/21/2018 at 7:14 PM, MormonGator said:

Putting scripture aside, if it was up to you, what book would you force people to read?

For me, it would be "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie. I meet so many people in life who treat people like garbage than wonder why they are lonely and miserable. More than that, I meet so many shy people who just can't connect with others-and are lonely and miserable. That book was life changing for me-it seriously changed how I view social interactions. 

Any other ideas? 

Apart from the standard disclaimer that we can't and shouldn't force anyone to do anything (other than leave us alone), I've got a list.

1. A Message to Garcia - Essay by Elbert Hubbard.

2. If - Poem by Rudyard Kipling.

3. Total Money Makeover - Dave Ramsey

4. Little Britches - Ralph Moody (and the sequel Man of the Family).

5. How to Win Friends and Influence People -  by Dale Carnegie

6. Think and Grow Rich - Napoleon Hill

7. Greatest Salesman in the World - Og Mandino

8. Mere Christianity - C.S. Lewis

9. Declaration of Independence

10. U.S. Constitution, Federalist Papers, & Anti-Federalist Papers.

Edited by Guest

Guest MormonGator
26 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Apart from the standard disclaimer that we can't and shouldn't force anyone to do anything (other than leave us alone)

Yes yes, I get that. I'm not talking about putting a gun to someones head here. It's just a hypothetical question only. No, I don't like force either but again, who cares? It's a question on an online forum, not a prophetic decree.

Great choices, by the way. 

Edited by MormonGator

what book would you force people to read?

I would force anyone to read a book. 😉

Anyway, if I could convince anyone to read a book that wasn't a scripture itself, it might be Don't Know Much About the Bible or Don't Know Much About History.   I think the books explain a lot of things well in an easy to understand form.  

Or if you wanted to stir the pot, read and discuss the Journal of Discourses.  

"It's Just My Nature" by Carol Tuttle needed a better editor but should be read by everyone 10 and up and in every home, college dorm, missionary apartment, class room, office, etc.

"The 5000 Year Leap" by Skousen should be required reading for everyone before they vote.

Edited by Manners Matter

On 10/26/2018 at 5:18 PM, Vort said:

I was thinking more of this:

d04a161620106df33ed023cae9e752c6.jpg

Interesting to see what's in the background: "My Brain", "Large Cabbage" and what looks like the formula for standard deviation.

It would also be interesting to know what the "50 Weirdest Bible Stories" are... (I can think of some pretty weird ones without even trying!)

2 minutes ago, Jamie123 said:

It would also be interesting to know what the "50 Weirdest Bible Stories" are... (I can think of some pretty weird ones without even trying!)

I know a donkey who says he agrees with you.

On 10/26/2018 at 2:15 PM, MormonGator said:

Yes yes, I get that. I'm not talking about putting a gun to someones head here. It's just a hypothetical question only. No, I don't like force either but again, who cares? It's a question on an online forum, not a prophetic decree.

Great choices, by the way. 

Thank you.  FYI.  The disclaimer was not necessarily for you, but for lurkers.

8 minutes ago, Carborendum said:
48 minutes ago, Vort said:

I know a donkey who says he agrees with you.

If great minds think alike, the corallary would be..

• Mediocre minds think differently?
  • I don't know a donkey who doesn't say he agrees with you?
  • I know a donkey who says he doesn't agree with me?
  • You know a donkey who says he agrees with me?

Regis, I'd like to take my lifeline.