Marvel Comics does not understand exponential growth

Vort

2 hours ago, Vort said:

I watched the first several episodes, and I was impressed by the creativity and grittiness. But the constant harsh language was a major turnoff. A more subtle but ultimately bigger problem was the "nuance". The Karate Kid was beloved because it was so black and white. Cobra Kai goes out of its way to blur that line, which I admit is probably more true to life. But there has to be a point to the story, beyond a soap opera to draw people in, which is morally bankrupt consumerism. Johnny doesn't have any heart of gold, but he may be redeemable. But Daniel is portrayed to look like an empty suit, with his daughter borderline out of control and his wife openly enabling her behavior. Honestly, when Johnny is the most sympathetic character, I'm not likely to enjoy the series.

Actually it really does a good job, in my opinion, of developing character for both of them and for their protégés. It's not perfect. Totally agree on the language, which actually gets worse in later episodes. 

• pam featured this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm guessing that the folks on this board aren't all that up to speed on the comic storyline.  While the Russo brothers did what they could to make the movie storyline a surprise/refreshing for the fans, there were some things that would so alter the characters and story that it would be unacceptable to the comic fan audience.

1. Stopping Thanos entirely from the "snap" would be completely unacceptable to comics fans.  So, they had to do some other things to make the snap more "acceptable".  One major thing is that the entity "Death" was not present in the cinematic universe.  So, Thanos had to have some other motivation.  A motive for a Shakespearean villain.  I think they came up with something that was reasonable to believe that a villain would do.  It has been done in the past and was a reference to eugenicists and others who opt for population controls.

2. The comic storyline has Nebula take the gauntlet from Thanos.  The fact that she was one who survived leaves this as an option.  While she does restore all life as it was before, she is driven mad partially from the emotional and physical abuse she has suffered at the hands of Thanos her whole life, but also mad with power.  She then rules the universe in a manner that the Avengers believe is even worse than what Thanos did.

3. At the end of Guardians 2, the "gold people" introduce "Adam".  Based on the shape and design of that coffin looking thing, it is obviously "Adam Warlock" who is an insanely powerful being.  He is instrumental (with Thanos' help) in retrieving the gauntlet from Nebula.  Then there is a trial involving the Living Tribunal.  Since these cosmic level beings (Living Tribunal, Death, Infinity, Eternity, etc.) are not in the cinematic universe, this storyline cannot unfold.

CHANGE THE RESOURCES OF THE UNIVERSE.

From Thanos' perspective, what's the difference?  He doesn't care about "life".  He cares about "quality of life" according to his definition.  50/50 choice.  One isn't any better than the other.

Would it take much thought to double the resources in the universe? Yes and no.  It would take a bit of thought to simply double the resources in the universe.  But it is not that onerous if those additional resources are found on other (new) planets.  We need only keep the cosmological constant the same, while doubling the mass of the universe.  Then there is the matter of getting those resources to the beings on all the inhabited planets.  That is the logistical issue that would take more energy, time, thought, etc.  A supply chain to double the resources would be virtually impossible.

And perhaps doubling universal mass was not possible.  Perhaps the infinity stones cannot create or destroy matter  --  only alter it from one form to another.

What exactly is death in the MCU?  Hasn't been defined yet.  All these "dusted folks" are actually dead.  But that may only mean that they have been altered into some other form (like dust).  All they have to do is change their form again.

8 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

What exactly is death in the MCU?  Hasn't been defined yet.  All these "dusted folks" are actually dead.  But that may only mean that they have been altered into some other form (like dust).  All they have to do is change their form again.

Sounds like the intro to a Philosophy 1010 class.

• pam unfeatured this topic