Need advice on my calling.

Lknight

I need advice. I'm not sure what to do and i hope what i say makes sense.  I'm fairly new to my  YSA ward I just got here in may. I got a calling around that same time as ward missionary co chair. I was to be a partner with this other guy. when I first got the calling I had a lot more free time because I was just working while I waited for school to start. but, school started back in September and sense then I've been constantly on the go and barely have enough free time to do homework and my schedule literally every day is school from 9am to 5 and then straight to work from 6-930. I haven't been able to do my calling like I should or would like to recently and in addition my partner just baled on the calling so i'm all alone until I get another partner. My bishop just recently asked me if I could take Wednesdays off of work every week to do my calling but, the problem I face is I'm paying my way through school and paying for my apartment. Maybe its a lack of faith on my part but, I 1. don't know if my manager is even going to let me do that especially when Christmas runs around ( I work retail and i'm an assistant manager) and 2. I need as much money as I can get for the next round of school.... I have never in my life said no to a calling or even asked to be released but, I'm highly considering this right now. I've talked to heavenly father and I feel like he would be ok with it. but, I'm still wondering if this is the right things to do and I feel terribly guilty about doing that to my bishop....I don't know how to approach him about it. does anyone have any advice? 

Edited by Lknight

@Lknight, ultimately you’re going to have to rely on your own revelation here.  I will make two, potentially contradictory observations:

1) For whatever perspective it’s worth, I am 38.  I have *never* had a bishop ask me to compromise my professional obligations in order to fulfill a calling.  That doesn’t mean bishops can’t or won’t ever do that; but this is a very extraordinary thing that your bishop is asking you to do.

2)  On the other hand—he’s your bishop, and there’s probably a reason for that.  That doesn’t mean you can’t say “no”; but I would suggest you make pretty darned sure that “no” is actually the right response here.  Sacrifice does bring blessings, and all that. ;) 

17 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

I have *never* had a bishop ask me to compromise my professional obligations in order to fulfill a calling.

From Handbook 2, 19..

Although service in Church callings requires sacrifice, it should not compromise a member’s ability to fulfill family and employment responsibilities (see 17.2.1).

and the link:

When extending callings, scheduling leadership meetings, and planning activities, leaders consider the family circumstances of members. Church service and participation always entail a measure of sacrifice. However, strong families are vital to the Church, and members should not be asked to make excessive family sacrifices to serve or to support programs or activities.

One family circumstance to consider is the Church calling(s) held by a member’s husband or wife. Individual families should not be overburdened with Church responsibilities. Another circumstance to consider is the overall time demands that members face in supporting their families and taking care of other personal matters. In some areas of the world, members of necessity work two or three jobs. These are legitimate considerations for leaders to weigh in extending callings, scheduling leadership meetings, and planning activities.

But don't use this as an excuse to get out of a calling.  Consider all the stuff JAG said - ponder, pray, prioritize, etc.

Is your bishop fully aware of your schedule? Sometimes, people think they know something when they don't. Perhaps your bishop thinks your job is not as vital to paying for school and living expenses. Or perhaps he thinks you have more free time than you really do. My advice would be to talk to your bishop and share your concerns. Let him know of your availability as well as your feeling of being overwhelmed. In my experience, bishops will listen and either release you or let you know what you can do to fulfill your calling while still going to school and working. 

On 10/24/2018 at 11:48 PM, Lknight said:

I need advice. I'm not sure what to do and i hope what i say makes sense.  I'm fairly new to my  YSA ward I just got here in may. I got a calling around that same time as ward missionary co chair. I was to be a partner with this other guy. when I first got the calling I had a lot more free time because I was just working while I waited for school to start. but, school started back in September and sense then I've been constantly on the go and barely have enough free time to do homework and my schedule literally every day is school from 9am to 5 and then straight to work from 6-930. I haven't been able to do my calling like I should or would like to recently and in addition my partner just baled on the calling so i'm all alone until I get another partner. My bishop just recently asked me if I could take Wednesdays off of work every week to do my calling but, the problem I face is I'm paying my way through school and paying for my apartment. Maybe its a lack of faith on my part but, I 1. don't know if my manager is even going to let me do that especially when Christmas runs around ( I work retail and i'm an assistant manager) and 2. I need as much money as I can get for the next round of school.... I have never in my life said no to a calling or even asked to be released but, I'm highly considering this right now. I've talked to heavenly father and I feel like he would be ok with it. but, I'm still wondering if this is the right things to do and I feel terribly guilty about doing that to my bishop....I don't know how to approach him about it. does anyone have any advice? 

In 1965, President David O. McKay made the following statement to a group of Church employees: Let me assure you, Brethren, that some day you will have a personal priesthood interview with the Savior himself. If you are interested, I will tell you the order in which he will ask you to account for your earthly responsibilities.

First, he will request an accountability report about your relationship with your wife. Have you actively been engaged in making her happy and ensuring that her needs have been met as an individual?

Second, he will want an accountability report about each of your children individually. He will not attempt to have this for simply a family stewardship but will request information about your relationship to each and every child.

Third, he will want to know what you personally have done with the talents you were given in the preexistence.

Fourth, he will want a summary of your activity in your Church assignments. He will not be necessarily interested in what assignments you have had, for in his eyes the home teacher and a mission president are probably equals, but he will request a summary of how you have been of service to your fellow man in your Church assignments.

Fifth, he will have no interest in how you earned your living but if you were honest in all your dealings.

Sixth, he will ask for an accountability on what you have done to contribute in a positive manner to your community, state, country, and the world.

According to this list of priorities, your job may take precedence considering the following.

1. You don't have a wife or children.  But it may be vital to your survival.

2. Are you using or developing your talents because of this job?  You also mentioned school.  I'm sure that is asking you to develop your talents.

3. Church assignments. (tah-dah).

Then the other stuff after.  But your dilemma is about the three above.  Ponder and pray about priorities.  Make adjustments accordingly.

I, myself, have not shied away from saying no to a calling if it meant that the calling would prevent me from supporting my family.  And my job is such that it has many demands.  You don't have a family.  But if you are to have a family in the future, you will need to survive and develop a career for that future time that you will have a family.

Edited by Guest