More struggles with Direction from stake President

carlimac

Guest MormonGator
1 hour ago, Sunday21 said:

Dungeons & Dragons was evil? Really?

Oh, @Sunday21

I had 4 teachers at Catholic school tell me that DnD and Magic:The Gathering were "satanic", should not be played by anyone, etc. Growing up in the 90s during the tail end of the "satanic panic" was incredibly irritating. 

After I graduated from high school I had the unfortunate experience to run into one of those whiny teachers at a supermarket. I showed her my Magic card deck (I used to carry a blue/white turbo stasis around with me) and said "You weren't terribly influential in my life." Obnoxious and sophomoric? Yup. Sweet justice after having been lectured for four years about how evil those games were? Yup. 

2 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

I showed her my Magic card deck (I used to carry a blue/white turbo stasis around with me)

Do you still play?  I've been teaching my ten year old son to play and he really likes it.

Side Note:  I unexpectedly got a game for Christmas called Unstable Unicorns that plays in a style similar to MTG (It has the equivalent of instants, sorceries, enchantments/artifacts, and creatures with and without abilities - no manna - no deck building), but the objective is to be the first player with an army of 7 unicorns.  It is super fun and I highly recommend it!

Guest MormonGator
Just now, person0 said:

Do you still play?  I've been teaching my ten year old son to play and he really likes it.

No, I haven't in over a decade. It's a great game and I have wonderful memories playing it though. 

2 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

No, I haven't in over a decade. It's a great game and I have wonderful memories playing it though. 

If you still played I was going to invite you to play me online through Cockatrice.  Well, we now know we have at least one thing in common!  Hey, I might even try and visit next time I'm in Florida!  😀

Guest MormonGator
2 hours ago, person0 said:

Hey, I might even try and visit next time I'm in Florida!  😀

Sure! We'll go to a few bars and have a drinking contest. 

• 1 month later...

I say that the President is correct in his interpretation and that it is your pride that is stopping you in following his council. Spa nights and other things are good. But the purpose of Mutual is to continue their learning about Christ, otherwise they are more likely to become "Sunday mormons".

Have activities where you do what christ asks.

Visit the sick, hungry, afflicted, poor.

Going to an old peoples home and singing them songs is an amazing experience for a youth.

On 2/8/2019 at 1:01 AM, Aaddaamm said:

I say that the President is correct in his interpretation and that it is your pride that is stopping you in following his council. Spa nights and other things are good. But the purpose of Mutual is to continue their learning about Christ, otherwise they are more likely to become "Sunday mormons".

Have activities where you do what christ asks.

Visit the sick, hungry, afflicted, poor.

Going to an old peoples home and singing them songs is an amazing experience for a youth.

Sometimes Mutual night can be built around a fun activity, such as having a game night, playing sports, or doing service projects. And sometimes it can be more serious, with discussions on standards.” (https://www.lds.org/youth/article/what-are-we-doing-at-mutual?lang=eng)

Mutual is not meant to always be a serious lesson or service project on church topics.

A spa night is a great thing to do, as is basketball and a rough match of dodgeball.  But in all things there is balance. Wholesome activity with wholesome people is just as testimony building as a service project competition or visit to an elderly home. My two most memorable mutual activities were 1) playing football with the other youth and leaders and 2) practicing teaching the missionary lessons.

Edited by Fether

On 10/26/2018 at 1:25 PM, Fether said:

@carlimac

Im not one to disobey leadership, but I’m also not one to take the word of a stake president over the word of the entire church.

https://www.lds.org/youth/article/what-are-we-doing-at-mutual?lang=eng

If he wants all activities ended, I would approach him with this and say “I’m just trying to do what the Prophets and Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints want me to do”

...maybe a bit less guilty-tripy... but you get the point

I am all for respect, but don’t bow to direction that isn’t supported higher up.

SIDE NOTE: That is IF all your saying is true. If you just misinterpreted his direction or are embellishing things, then maybe take a different direction. But either way I would approach him and let him know your concerns and share with him that link I posted above.

In my opinion....... .based on my fifty nine years of experience.... you just gave an exceptionally good answer to this type of question.  

Sincere and well meaning people can do a lot of harm.........

Here is an example of how perfectionism...... and exaggeration can creep into any system of belief and tradition.  

Mark 3:4 seems to be referring to a situation faced in two major occasions in Jewish history...... in the time of the Machabees but also during the time when the armies of Israel led by Joshua walked around Jericho again, and again, and again, and again and again and again...... and again X7.

And forthwith they went out towards them, and made war against them on the sabbath day, [33] And they said to them: Do you still resist? come forth, and do according to the edict of king Antiochus, and you shall live. [34] And they said: We will not come forth, neither will we obey the king's edict, to profane the sabbath day. [35] And they made haste to give them battle.

[36] But they answered them not, neither did they cast a stone at them, nor stopped up the secret places, [37] Saying: Let us all die in our innocency: and heaven and earth shall be witnesses for us, that you put us to death wrongfully.[38] So they gave them battle on the sabbath: and they were slain with their wives, and their children, and their cattle, to the number of a thousand persons. [39] And Mathathias and his friends heard of it, and they mourned for them exceedingly. [40] And every man said to his neighbour: If we shall all do as our brethren have done, and not fight against the heathens for our lives, and our justifications: they will now quickly root us out of the earth.

[41] And they determined in that day, saying: Whosoever shall come up against us to fight on the sabbath day, we will fight against him: and we will not all die, as our brethren that were slain in the secret places. [42] Then was assembled to them the congregation of the Assideans, the stoutest of Israel, every one that had a good will for the law. [43] And all they that fled from the evils, joined themselves to them, and were a support to them. [44] And they gathered an army, and slew the sinners in their wrath, and the wicked men in their indignation: and the rest fled to the nations for safety. [45] And Mathathias and his friends went round about, and they threw down the altars:

Was Rabbi and Messiah Yeshua - Jesus asking the Pharisees and Scribes if they would condemn the Machabees.... or the Jews of the time of Joshua...... from fighting back on the Sabbath?????

Mark 3:4

And he saith unto them, Is it lawful to do good on the sabbath days, or to do evil? to save life, or to kill? But they held their peace.

Be not righteous over much; neither make thyself overwise: why shouldest thou destroy thyself?

Perfectionism..... .can become a stumbling block that is cast in front of teenagers.... it is like the proverbial boiling milk that the kids of the goats can be boiled in........

The first of the firstfruits of thy land thou shalt bring into the house of the LORD thy God. Thou shalt not seethe a kid in his mother's milk.

The metaphorical Mother = the church ward......
the milk = exaggerated teachings or sincere exaggerations on traditions or beliefs......
Edited by DennisTate
add clarification comments

Guest MormonGator
Just now, niyr said:

I got sucked back into it last month after being away for 13-14 years. Commander is the new thing for me now.

"Just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in!"-Michael Corleone

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 3:10 PM, MormonGator said:

"Just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in!"-Michael Corleone

I got out of Magic when I realized it was getting more expensive than playing Warhammer.

Not kidding.  I have a couple decks just for playing with the kids or the wife, but when people ask me why I don't get really in to it, I honestly tell them it's because I just can't afford it.

Guest MormonGator
7 minutes ago, unixknight said:

I got out of Magic when I realized it was getting more expensive than playing Warhammer.

Not kidding.  I have a couple decks just for playing with the kids or the wife, but when people ask me why I don't get really in to it, I honestly tell them it's because I just can't afford it.

You can afford a brand new Tesla Model X, or you can play Magic for six months. Your choice. 

• 2 weeks later...

It is important that each of us are careful in getting our own revaluations We should put our trust in Heavenly Father because man will disappoint. I will not start a fight but all men are subject to flaws. Apostles have been excommunicated for arguing contradictory revelations. I have been promoted by the Spirit, during an interview, not to issue a calling after the Stake Council made a decision. The Stake President said this was correct and how Heavenly Father does things. What ever we are doing we have our own revelations.

8 hours ago, john4truth said:

It is important that each of us are careful in getting our own revaluations We should put our trust in Heavenly Father because man will disappoint. I will not start a fight but all men are subject to flaws. Apostles have been excommunicated for arguing contradictory revelations. I have been promoted by the Spirit, during an interview, not to issue a calling after the Stake Council made a decision. The Stake President said this was correct and how Heavenly Father does things. What ever we are doing we have our own revelations.

Hi @john4truth. It's easier to follow your posts if you quote the post you're responding to.  All you have to do is click the "Quote" link at the bottom of the post.

Edited by mordorbund

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2019 at 11:08 PM, john4truth said:

I believe (and you can quote me in my disciplinary council) that there is "unrighteous dominion" amongst church leaders. 

Elder M. Russel Ballard:

"As part of that training, I invited a ward council to participate. I gave to the bishop a theoretical problem about a less-active family and asked him to use the ward council to develop a plan to activate this family. Without exception, the bishop took charge of the situation immediately and said, “Here’s the problem, and here’s what I think we should do to solve it.” Then he made assignments to the various ward council members. This was a good exercise in delegation, I suppose, but it did not even begin to use the experience and wisdom of council members to address the problem.  Eventually I asked the bishop to try again, only this time to solicit ideas and recommendations from his council members before making any assignments. I especially encouraged him to ask the sisters for their ideas. When the bishop opened the meeting to council members and invited them to counsel together, the effect was like opening the floodgates of heaven. A reservoir of insight and inspiration suddenly began to flow between council members as they planned for fellowshipping the less-active family."

A deacon's quorum president has keys to receive revelation for his quorum and should seek for it.  The YW president has the right to inspiration regarding her calling.  The Sunday School teacher has a right to revelation for their class.   I am saddened by so many leaders acting without counselling with others "below" them or sincerely seeking the wisdom that comes from the spirit.  Maybe this Stake President did this but it doesn't sound like it when other active leaders are rebelling.  

Having said this, as I have struggled with situations like this, I tend to follow the council of my leaders even when I don't agree.  I also try not to sit silent when decisions I disagree with are made.  I believe when we are in counsels we should speak our minds in kindness but firmness.  Nevertheless,  when push comes to shove, I will follow that leader knowing that in the eternities, he or she will be held responsible for the pain and suffering they may have caused by acting impulsively rather than spiritually and I will be absolved of any errors I may make when following their guidance with faith.   

Last point, we have the right to receive revelation for ourselves and how we should respond to direction from our leaders.  At times the Spirit may lead you to ways to both conform with the counsel AND conform to the Spirit (the gift of Creativity? )  

On 3/7/2019 at 2:57 PM, unixknight said:

I met a young woman whose source of income was producing buildings in minecraft. She was happy because she had just sold a building for $200. 

• pam unfeatured this topic