Heading to Utah

Grunt

What part of Utah?  What do you like?  Moab and all its National Parks and whatnot is nice.  There are approximately umpteen billion temples to see.  On the east side of the Salt Lake Valley, there are mountains.  On the west side, there are other mountains.  There's a big gaping hole in the mountains on the west side, that's actually kind of interesting to look down into (you can drive up to the top, look down into the big gaping hole with its Tonka trucks (from that height), and then drive back down part way and head over into Tooele - nice drive).  On the east side, you can drive up and down canyons.

There might be a Church history site or two, if you're into that kind of thing.  You could drive around suburbs and see a Church building every other block - that might be kind of novel for someone from low-density Zion.  Of course, you can see the same thing via google maps...

It depends on what you want to do.

If you want to see Church history sites, go to Temple Square (there are actually many Church history sites in the Salt Lake Valley, but Temple Square is the most popular).  If you want to see wildlife, go to Antelope Island.  If you want to see the mountains, go up Little Cottonwood Canyon (my favorite, but there are others) or the Alpine Loop (it usually closes November 1).  

Temple Square is a given - plan a day to wander around there.  If interested, you could go to the family history library, and you could go to the SL temple and see a live session (I can't remember whether you received your endowment yet, but if so, you should probably plan this - actors rather than a movie - if they're still doing that).  The Joseph Smith Memorial Building might still be showing Church history movies.  Anywho, plenty to do around Temple Square.

You can get to Moab in 8 hours, tops.  Drive through Arches and maybe a few other spots.  Then drive back starting at sunset and be at your hotel by midnight, or stay a day and drive back the next night. :)

In the SL valley, going up the east canyons is nice.  The copper mine actually is kind of interesting to look at.  The drive up Butterfield canyon to see it, and then down into Tooele is interesting.

Antelope Island is OK.  Better (I assume) if there are actually buffalo on it - no, I'm not sure why it's called Antelope, but houses buffalo (really bison).  If you like birds, there's an aviary that's nice, and some sort of bird refuge further north on the lake, but I'm not sure how good it is - never been.

Edited by zil

@Grunt, when will you be in Utah? If you want someone to show you around my husband and I would be happy to do so.  You can message me. My husband will be happy to talk to another Ham Radio Operator. He just passed his General last month. Now he’s studying for his Extra Class. He was so close to passing the Extra Class. He took it after his General test without studying for it and missed it by only a few questions.

28 minutes ago, classylady said:

@Grunt, when will you be in Utah? If you want someone to show you around my husband and I would be happy to do so.  You can message me. My husband will be happy to talk to another Ham Radio Operator. He just passed his General last month. Now he’s studying for his Extra Class. He was so close to passing the Extra Class. He took it after his General test without studying for it and missed it by only a few questions.

I'll message you the details.   Thanks!

Grunt, IIRC Fort Douglas up on the U of U campus has a small military museum you may find interesting; and Hill AFB used to have an aviation museum as well.  

At Temple Square, don’t forget the Church History Museum (cross the street west of temple square)—that could easily eat up two or three hours for a first visit. The Church History library (across the street north of temple square) also usually rotates through a couple of goodies from Church archives on display in the reading room.  A few blocks away, the Catholic Cathederal of the Madeleine is also lovely. This Is The Place Monument also has a functioning pioneer village.  If you’re interested in the Donner Party at all, you can go up Emigration Canyon just a mile or two and see the remains of Donner Hill, a near-vertical rise that the pioneers hauled their wagons up with chains because they were too exhausted to keep chopping their way through the thick underbrush at the bottom of the canyon.  

Another oddity is the remnants of the town of Thistle up Spanish Fork Canyon, which was evacuated in 1983 after a landslide created a natural dam that turned the Spanish Fork River into a reservoir that flooded the town.  It was never rebuilt after engineers drained the lake, and you can still see the ruins of some of the buildings.

Also, if you go west of Lehi about 20 miles you’ll come to the town of Fairview, which is the site of Camp Floyd (where Johnson’s Army established itself).  There’s a military cemetery there where a few dozen camp members were buried over the years, and Fairview has a little museum that’s open a couple of days a week.  

Logan Canyon is also, IMHO, one of the prettiest drives in Utah; but probably somewhat off of your path.  

Edited by Just_A_Guy

As someone who grew up outside of Utah and lived there for only a few years, the "must see" list is really church focused, mountain focused, and then etc. in that order. 

Church - Temple Square is truly THE prime place you need to visit. Lots buildings and things to look at and learn. Be sure to go over and check out the conference center while there. 

Mountains - The mountains are all around you obviously. If you have done the "must see" church options I listed, then drive up a mountain and pull over so you can look out over the valley. Doing this during the day is almost a different experience than nighttime. 

Once those things have been accomplished, THEN feel free to check out some of the other suggested options. But these comprise the "must see" Utah experience in Salt Lake for me. 

You'll be in the Motherland. You have to go to Temple Square. I believe on Thursday evenings, the Tabernacle Choir practices (their practice sounds near perfect....I watched one practice that the choir director stopped them because the 5th altos were a little flat :whoa: I can't even imagine being able to hear that). 

Also, just go into the mountains somewhere. Anywhere. If you have time, go south and visit a national park--Canyonland, Zion, Bryce, Capital Reef, etc. 

And I think you should visit BYU, at least drive by it and see the wonderfulness of the greatest university. 

Enjoy! And I'm so glad you get to meet another nut from this group and that you'll have a personal guide! I love the people from this site!

11 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

@Grunt Have a great time! I hear that the used bookstores have some great lds books or you could just look at abebooks.com when you get home. Ridges is a great author for scriptures. Orson Scott Card for fiction. 😊 

Thanks!  My "waiting to be read" book pile is getting huge.  I'm always looking to add to it.  Thanks!

Others have covered some of the spots so let's talk food. You gotta eat or at least take something home to the fam so - 

~ The rolls at Lion House are famous!

~ Parsons Bakery in Bountiful/Woods Cross - the brownies are the best!

~ Rainbow Gardens at the mouth of Ogden Canyon - the Mormon Muffins w/ honey butter!

These aren't the healthiest options obviously but you only live once...enjoy your trip!

Oh - and get a box of See's Candies!!

1 minute ago, JohnsonJones said:

In regards to the National Parks of Utah...I personally found Arches and Canyonlands more impressive than Zion's. 

Angel's landing has a great lookout at Zions, but you have several just as breathtaking at Canyonlands.  Arches should speak for itself. 

Canyonlands is probably the best kept secret of Utah.

Wait wait wait... WHAT???  I've never heard of Canyonlands!  YouTube has failed me.

My daughter’s in-laws flew in from Korea last week. They all did a whirlwind tour of Utah’s five National Parks this past week. Mrs. In-law’s favorite was Bryce. She also liked the State Park Dead Horse Point. Mr. In-law’s favorite was Arches and Canyonlands. They were at our house for dinner last night on their way back to my daughter’s and son-in-law’s home. They told us Utah is  “the treasure of the United States”. They loved the beautiful scenery and spectacular sunsets.

I have lived in Utah since I was eleven years old. I visited Zion Nat’l Park almost on a yearly basis. Bryce, I’ve been to many times, but not as often as Zion. Capital Reef only a couple of times. Same with Arches. I had never been to Canyonlands until two years ago. It’s spectacular. I wish I had pushed to see it sooner. I will return, and this time either during the spring or autumn. We were there in August. I almost passed out due to the heat.

I would go up to Park City.  The Olympic park and training center is at the turn off from the freeway, and has a lot to see.  A small museum, and you can see the bobsled run, and the jumps.  And then you continue to drive up to the city itself.  Small mountain town ruined by a Hollywood film festival, but still a lot of historic mining things to see.  And they have various activities, but a bit early for skiing.  Still a fun place to check out.

You can also visit Snowbird which is up a different canyon, and they have a tram and various activities as well.

You just missed the leaves changing in the canyons, but the city should be turned nicely now.   I was there a week ago, and it was hit or miss, some trees green, others vibrant red and orange.  Of course, it's nothing compared to New England, so you probably won't be impressed.

I would also consider a tour of the State Capitol.   Pretty cool building.

Drive around the University of Utah campus, and the surrounding neighborhoods (The Avenues)

Most people go to the top of the Joseph Smith building for a view, but do the Church office building.  That's absolutely spectacular.  Tours are free of course.

You can also do a Beehive house tour.  They shortened it, sadly, and it's done by foreign sister missionaries, so not particularly historic and a bit preachy.  But what can you do.  The Lion house next door has a decent cafeteria. 

You might want to consider hiking up Ensign Peak.  It was the place where Brigham Young and others laid out the plans for the valley, and they had some fairly substantial spiritual experiences, including visions of the future of the Salt Lake valley.  Covenants were also made there, so it is holy ground.

"This Is the Place" monument is a good stop for the tourist and history buff.

Not sure if this link will work, but here's a map I  made of the various activities we did a few years back.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?hl=en&mid=1f1jT2vT94DH_nBUvAi9d1dw4fuQ&ll=40.83127478813276%2C-112.52109990000002&z=8