Heading to Utah

Grunt

4 hours ago, askandanswer said:

Isn't it a little dangerous to leave holes this big uncovered?

Maybe they could come up with a retractable lid? Like a stadium? 

Anyway, in OZ...Everything can kill you! I notice that the vacation ads feature a huge beach and then say: ‘No Sharks!’

Yeah but that spider on your beach towel will kill you! 

Edited by Sunday21

23 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

@zil What! Are you kidding me! Why on earth 🌍 are the flight crew armed?!!!!

a) We're Americans.

b) It was made after 9/11

c) Air Marshals and FBI are required to carry when flying (well, FBI are required all the time, last I knew; Air Marshals carry on duty, I assume they carry regardless, but I could be wrong)

d) A gun in the hands of a responsible party is not as dangerous as the movies make it seem

e) It was funny!  "...a hole as big as the Grand Canyon, which you can see on the right..." :crackup:

(of course, the idea of a .22 handgun round piercing body armor is also laughable - at least, I've never heard of one that powerful, but reality wasn't the point)

@zil Thank you very much for explaining!

My temple is in the US and we are getting more and more nervous about crossing the border. The other day there was a 20 year old with an enormous machine gun stationed on the US side of the road leading to Canada. We are all very freaked out! 

Where is Jesus? Surely, it is time? 

1 minute ago, Sunday21 said:

The other day there was a 20 year old with an enormous machine gun stationed on the US side of the road leading to Canada. We are all very freaked out! 

I submit that your freaked-outness has more to do with the inside of your own heads than with any objective measure of the threat presented by said 20-year-old or whatever theoretical threat he's there to stop.  Seriously, get yourself to a shooting range and take a class, learn to strip the weapon, load it, and shoot it.  You don't have to ever do it again or even like it, but the knowledge and understanding should eliminate the freaked-outness.

Every person I have ever met who was afraid of guns had never touched one.  People fear what they don't understand.  So get some understanding and let the fear go.

44 minutes ago, zil said:

I submit that your freaked-outness has more to do with the inside of your own heads than with any objective measure of the threat presented by said 20-year-old or whatever theoretical threat he's there to stop.  Seriously, get yourself to a shooting range and take a class, learn to strip the weapon, load it, and shoot it.  You don't have to ever do it again or even like it, but the knowledge and understanding should eliminate the freaked-outness.

Every person I have ever met who was afraid of guns had never touched one.  People fear what they don't understand.  So get some understanding and let the fear go.

Seriously No.

We do have a rifle range in town but...I shudder to think of the people hanging around such a place. I once had to drop off a parcel to an lds person at the bowling alley at which they worked. Shudder. 😫😢

Also my bishop would hear about such activity in about 3 minutes. He would faint.

Further,  I guarantee that membership in a rifle range in Canada would bring my name to the attention of the RCMP. I would spend the rest of my days being closely followed by men with broad shoulders and strong chins. Why do they always hire the same physical type? Undercover work must be impossible.

All stories of people who wish to dispose of spouses in Canada begin the same way. A woman walked into a bar. She bought a few fellows some drinks and asked if they knew some useful people. The next time, she came in, she was introduced to a ‘useful fellow’ with a strong chin and broad shoulders (undercover RCMP) and ...

We are just too law abiding up here! Not many outlaws for each police officer! 

1 minute ago, Sunday21 said:

Seriously No.

We do have a rifle range in town but...I shudder to think of the people hanging around such a place. I once had to drop off a parcel to an lds person at the bowling alley at which they worked. Shudder. 😫😢

Also my bishop would hear about such activity in about 3 minutes. He would faint.

Further,  I guarantee that membership in a rifle range in Canada would bring my name to the attention of the RCMP. I would spend the rest of my days being closely followed by men with broad shoulders and strong chins. Why do they always hire the same physical type? Undercover work must be impossible.

All stories of people who wish to dispose of spouses in Canada begin the same way. A woman walked into a bar. She bought a few fellows some drinks and asked if they knew some useful people. The next time, she came in, she was introduced to a ‘useful fellow’ with a strong chin and broad shoulders (undercover RCMP) and ...

Good grief, Sunday.  Come to Utah.  If money is tight, I'll set up a bed in the spare bedroom for you - you can have it and the guest bathroom all to yourself.  I'll take you to the bowling alley down the road from where I work - you'll see that bowling alleys can be clean, well-lit, and family friendly.  (I have both my own ball and shoes, but don't go often enough to be any good - it's just fun.)  Then we'll drive up the road to a shooting range and you can shoot my pistols and stop being so terrified of inanimate objects.  We'll take a photo of you and the target you shot up, and send it to your bishop.

I'll send you home with a fountain pen and some ink - not enough to worry the airplane people. :)

Then when you get home, you can carry copies of the Book of Mormon around with you, to give to those men with broad shoulders and strong chins.  Once one of them decides to join the Church, you can date him, and then get sealed in the temple.  (It would be a shame to let those broad shoulders and that strong chin go to waste!)

24 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

Seriously No.

Saw this somewhere and I can’t remember where so I’m gonna have to just paraphrase it...

”Not carrying a firearm because you rely on police officers to defend your life is the higbhest degree of eliticism.  It’s a lot higher than leaving the cleaning of your toilet to the maid service.”

Anyway, my boys have more rifles and handguns than I can remember somewhere in this house.  My 15-year-old competes with his 0.22 pistol.  And yea, those bullets are so tiny you’re gonna be in more trouble shooting that thing at a big guy when he brushes the hole off, grabs your pistol, and smacks you on the head with it.

Edited by anatess2

19 minutes ago, zil said:

Good grief, Sunday.  Come to Utah.  If money is tight, I'll set up a bed in the spare bedroom for you - you can have it and the guest bathroom all to yourself.  I'll take you to the bowling alley down the road from where I work - you'll see that bowling alleys can be clean, well-lit, and family friendly.  (I have both my own ball and shoes, but don't go often enough to be any good - it's just fun.)  Then we'll drive up the road to a shooting range and you can shoot my pistols and stop being so terrified of inanimate objects.  We'll take a photo of you and the target you shot up, and send it to your bishop.

I'll send you home with a fountain pen and some ink - not enough to worry the airplane people. :)

Then when you get home, you can carry copies of the Book of Mormon around with you, to give to those men with broad shoulders and strong chins.  Once one of them decides to join the Church, you can date him, and then get sealed in the temple.  (It would be a shame to let those broad shoulders and that strong chin go to waste!)

So kind! I was trying to think about the expression on my bishop’s face if I went to a rifle range. Even an lds man would not do such a thing here! It would probably be more acceptable to go and hang around a bar! The sisters that I minister to would be rather upset! 

Still I have been having a really hard time placing my Books of Mormon! Maybe we folks in my town need to branch out more? 

Just now, NeuroTypical said:

I wish I could unlearn 10 years of learning things, and go back to fainting at the thought of the existence of guns.  It was more fun dancing in sunny meadows back then too.

Stay innocent, Canada.  We like you guys.

My bishop is from Liberia and has seen a lot of sorrow in his life. I think that he would cry if he saw one of his sisters with a gun. He is a gentle man who carries the wounds of many sad stories. It would break my heart to add to his troubles. 

2 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

Even an lds man would not do such a thing here!

:rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

It would probably be more acceptable to go and hang around a bar!

Well, I suppose we can do that if we must, but only after the shooting - don't drink and shoot!

3 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

The sisters that I minister to would be rather upset! 

It would be good for them!  Give them a chance to be humble and not judge people just because they have a different way to put holes in paper.

4 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

Still I have been having a really hard time placing my Books of Mormon! Maybe we folks in my town need to branch out more?

See there?  I'll bet we could get you a custom bowling ball in Book of Mormon blue and have it etched in gold with the title of the Book of Mormon - think of all the questions you'll get at the alley.  You can whip out a copy of the BofM and say, "It was modeled after this, here, keep a copy." ;)

Guest MormonGator
9 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

My bishop is from Liberia and has seen a lot of sorrow in his life. I think that he would cry if he saw one of his sisters with a gun. He is a gentle man who carries the wounds of many sad stories. It would break my heart to add to his troubles. 

When I see a sister carry a gun I see a woman celebrating her right to protect herself and not rely on a man to do it for her. 

And besides, he might be the most gentle man alive. The dude mugging him doesn't care how gentle he is. 

4 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

When I see a sister carry a gun I see a woman celebrating her right to protect herself and not rely on a man to do it for her. 

And besides, he might be the most gentle man alive. The dude mugging him doesn't care how gentle he is. 

@Sunday21 is trying to tell us that nobody mugs anybody in Canada.  I don’t believe it, but hey @NeuroTypical is right... they can live their lives twirling on flowery meadows or something... 

1 minute ago, zil said:

No, no.  It only happens near rifle ranges and bowling alleys. ;)  On the up side, apparently a membership at a rifle club will get you a personal protection detail from the RCMP:

5e9720d8bb7013ad45a37ce7a683190b--thank-

If that guy gets to stalk @Sunday21 if she shoots a firearm we need to get her one pronto!  She’ll be married in a week.

8 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

nobody mugs anybody in Canada.

There was a rather sad story in my city this year. A man was reported carrying knives down the Main Street. The police descended. What was he carrying? A butcher’s block with kitchen knives that he had picked up from someone’s garbage, He was quite inoffensively carrying his booty home!

Guest MormonGator

Canadians actually own many, many more guns than we think they do. 

Anyone who thinks Canada is a progressive and peaceful bastion should read this article. Written by an honest Canadian. https://listverse.com/2014/12/20/10-political-misconceptions-about-canada/

(oh yeah, pay attention to number 2, which talks about the massive crime problem Canada is experiencing) 

Edited by MormonGator

6 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Canadians actually own many, many more guns than we think they do. 

Anyone who thinks Canada is a progressive and peaceful bastion should read this article. Written by an honest Canadian. https://listverse.com/2014/12/20/10-political-misconceptions-about-canada/

We do have a lot of rifles but not in my area. Canada is mostly wilderness in terms of area. Rifles are common in remote areas and we have a lot of remoteness. If I were to enter a rifle range I would upset everyone I know and one of my goals in life is not to upset others. A different approach to life but one which is common where I live. 

Guest MormonGator
7 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

. If I were to enter a rifle range I would upset everyone I know 

I know how you feel. My dad was/is shocked that his two offspring both own several guns. He doesn't really get it. I was scared to enter my first shooting range, but i got over it. 

21 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

I know how you feel. My dad was/is shocked that his two offspring both own several guns. He doesn't really get it. I was scared to enter my first shooting range, but i got over it. 

The article is correct in that there is no right to own a gun here. There is, in particular, no right to own a handgun. For most of my life only the police have had handguns. There may now be a small loop hole in that you might possibly be allowed to keep a hand gun in your own home under some conditions. Perhaps you might be able to store the handgun to take it to a rifle range. Still one would have to be licensed, pass safety tests and I am quite sure that a woman who did so would be unusual enough to come to the attention of the rcmp. Also, there is no way, whatsoever, that I could tote that gun around with me. And if I did shoot someone with that handgun, I would quite likely be serving time. There is no ‘stand your ground’ law.

i teach Constitutional Law and the attitude towards Constitutional Rights is quite different here. For example, the Constitition can be easily disregarded by the Provincial Legislature. There are two ‘wild cards’. One is the ‘Not Withstanding’ Clause. Under this clause, the provincial government can choose to disregard the constitition for any reason. Quebec has done so, so many times I cannot tell you! Quebec disregards the constitution to keep English off signs in order to preserve the French language.

The other reason to disregard the constitution is that sometimes to follow the constitution would not be in keeping with the values of a just society.  So Saskatchewan was told that it would unconstitutional to allow school children to attend some sort of separate school system but disregarded the constitition to allow the children to remain in the school system. Temporarily, I think.

This country has a different way of looking at right and wrong. 

(Yes. This WILL be on the final!)

Edited by Sunday21