Heading to Utah

Grunt

7 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

Still one would have to be licensed, pass safety tests and I am quite sure that a woman who did so would be unusual enough to come to the attention of the rcmp.

FYI, here in the wild, wild west of Colorado, I got licensed, got training, passed a safety test too.  And I assume I came to the attention of the Sheriffs office, as they were the ones who did the fingerprinting and background check. 

Actually, I'm sure I came to their attention, because I got a signed letter of appreciation from the Sheriff, complimenting me on getting my concealed handgun permit.  Last I heard, somewhere around 10% of the citizens of Colorado have permits.

The Colorado Springs chief of police has 25+ years of experience - he tells me he has never once in all his years seen a single homicide involving a permit holder.  

My bishop tells me he knows of half a dozen ward members who occasionally carry to church.  He's not worried at all.

10 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

FYI, here in the wild, wild west of Colorado, I got licensed, got training, passed a safety test too.  And I assume I came to the attention of the Sheriffs office, as they were the ones who did the fingerprinting and background check. 

Actually, I'm sure I came to their attention, because I got a signed letter of appreciation from the Sheriff, complimenting me on getting my concealed handgun permit.  Last I heard, somewhere around 10% of the citizens of Colorado have permits.

The Colorado Springs chief of police has 25+ years of experience - he tells me he has never once in all his years seen a single homicide involving a permit holder.  

My bishop tells me he knows of half a dozen ward members who occasionally carry to church.  He's not worried at all.

If I got training and passed the safety, I would not:

be able to carry a gun, other than to the shooting range

get any thanks from anyone, in fact, quite likely the cops would park on my street to keep an eye on me, upsetting my lovely neighbors

no one would be happy. I would be regarded as undermining public safety

and if I DID use the gun to defend myself, there would be quite a lot of difficulty in explaining how I knew in advance that I might need one. Everyone, including my own family, would have the gravest suspicions as to my extracurricular activities. I would spend quite a lot of time and money explaining myself.

If I lived in the wilderness, I am sure that a rifle would be an easier matter. 

Edited by Sunday21

14 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

Maybe they could come up with a retractable lid? Like a stadium? 

Anyway, in OZ...Everything can kill you! I notice that the vacation ads feature a huge beach and then say: ‘No Sharks!’

Yeah but that spider on your beach towel will kill you! 

The good news is that, as noted in a previous post, you'll be safe here from rubella and cervical cancer. The bad news is that we're training all our spiders and snakes to focus on Canadians and other foreigners in the hope that they'll leave us locals alone. 

18 minutes ago, askandanswer said:

The good news is that, as noted in a previous post, you'll be safe here from rubella and cervical cancer. The bad news is that we're training all our spiders and snakes to focus on Canadians and other foreigners in the hope that they'll leave us locals alone. 

Fine then! We will be visiting NZ instead! Can’t drink the wine anyway! 

1 hour ago, Sunday21 said:

Fine then! We will be visiting NZ instead! Can’t drink the wine anyway! 

I'll send a warning to my mates in kiwi country.

It's good to know that the training program has produced at least one good result. 

Edited by askandanswer

10 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

In Utah, background checks are regularly run on permit holders.  I have no idea whether any have been involved in homicides.

Back in the good old days, when the father of the then-family-owned business where I work was still here, he did an informal survey and determined that at any given point in time, upwards of 1/4 of the staff were armed.  No one thought a thing of it.

10 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

likely the cops would park on my street to keep an eye on me, upsetting my lovely neighbors

Why would this be upsetting?  Are your neighbors criminals?  Are your police dishonest?  Seems like it would be a good thing - your own private security, keeping the criminals away from you.

PS: I, at least, am not suggesting you get a gun, join a shooting range, or regularly partake in shooting sports.  I am suggesting you get enough education and experience to not feel fear at the mere thought of law enforcement, the military, or a law-abiding citizen possessing a firearm.  That's an irrational fear, and irrational fears are bad for you.  If you want to fear something, at least fear something that's rational.

Guest MormonGator
52 minutes ago, zil said:

This is one of the few places in the world where I have not been, but would like to go.

Any requests for vacation must be filed at least two months in advance. And your last trip to Iceland cost the compound a bundle (Seriously, she demands first class airfare, the finest hotels...ug!) so complete the paperwork soon please. 

3 hours ago, zil said:

This is one of the few places in the world where I have not been, but would like to go.

My wife and I did a long weekend trip there in September last year. We went to Wellington, the national capital and visited a former mission friend. It was a great trip but way too short. We'll probably go there again once the renovation of the Hamilton New Zealand temple is complete, which I think will take three years, or maybe two, I can't remember.  

3 hours ago, zil said:

It is beautiful, when you can see it at least.   What the tourist brochures and ads don't tell you is that they took those pictures on the one day a year that the sky was blue, at least on the West Coast.  Milford Sound, perhaps New Zealand's most famous landmark receives about ten times the amount of rainfall that Seattle does.  

When the sun is out though, it's great.  Here is a photo taken many years ago when our son was a baby:

Camping at Mt. Cook national...

On 11/4/2018 at 8:25 PM, Sunday21 said:

Seriously No.

We do have a rifle range in town but...I shudder to think of the people hanging around such a place. I once had to drop off a parcel to an lds person at the bowling alley at which they worked. Shudder. 😫😢

Also my bishop would hear about such activity in about 3 minutes. He would faint.

Further,  I guarantee that membership in a rifle range in Canada would bring my name to the attention of the RCMP. I would spend the rest of my days being closely followed by men with broad shoulders and strong chins. Why do they always hire the same physical type? Undercover work must be impossible.

All stories of people who wish to dispose of spouses in Canada begin the same way. A woman walked into a bar. She bought a few fellows some drinks and asked if they knew some useful people. The next time, she came in, she was introduced to a ‘useful fellow’ with a strong chin and broad shoulders (undercover RCMP) and ...

We are just too law abiding up here! Not many outlaws for each police officer! 

Ha!   You'd have a heart attack if you ever came to my house.

On 11/4/2018 at 11:56 PM, Sunday21 said:

Maybe they could come up with a retractable lid? Like a stadium? 

Anyway, in OZ...Everything can kill you! I notice that the vacation ads feature a huge beach and then say: ‘No Sharks!’

Yeah but that spider on your beach towel will kill you! 

Man dies after shark attack near Cid Harbour in North Queensland

THE man who was fatally mauled by a shark in the Whitsundays has been identified as a Melbourne doctor

https://www.news.com.au/national/queensland/shark-attack-near-cid-harbour-in-north-queensland/news-story/fb13ae93a7adb83b592da70fdec37562

Feel free to visit North QUeensland, I hear its very nice at this time of year

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/4/2018 at 6:25 PM, Sunday21 said:

...We do have a rifle range in town but...I shudder to think of the people hanging around such a place. I once had to drop off a parcel to an lds person at the bowling alley at which they worked. Shudder....

Hey @Sunday21, this is a very late response but, is your shudder due to the parcel your delivering or to the bowling alley? If the bowling alley, is it a 5 pin or 10 pin? And, is it because it serves alcohol?

M.

Edited by Maureen

14 hours ago, Grunt said:

So, tomorrow is the big day.  If anyone wants to meet me in Temple Square sometime in the next few days let me know.

My husband and I will meet you.  Let me know when. I’ll message you my phone number.

Edited by classylady

On 11/23/2018 at 6:15 PM, Maureen said:

Hey @Sunday21, this is a very late response but, is your shudder due to the parcel your delivering or to the bowling alley? If the bowling alley, is it a 5 pin or 10 pin? And, is it because it serves alcohol?

M.

I was out of the bowling alley so fast, I did not look around! Have you ever been somewhere that just felt evil? We have Legion Halls here that are just ‘shudder’.

7 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

I was out of the bowling alley so fast, I did not look around! Have you ever been somewhere that just felt evil? We have Legion Halls here that are just ‘shudder’.

I'm guessing you've never been in a bowling league. Here in Alberta families bowl with children. You can have a child's birthday party at a bowling alley. It's good clean fun. Are bowling alleys that different in Ontario?

My parents were members of the Legion. I haven't been inside a Legion in years, it's seems to me a past generation environment. But they are also places for social interaction with shuffle board and darts. Nothing evil about that here in Alberta.

M.

32 minutes ago, Maureen said:

I'm guessing you've never been in a bowling league. Here in Alberta families bowl with children. You can have a child's birthday party at a bowling alley. It's good clean fun. Are bowling alleys that different in Ontario?

My parents were members of the Legion. I haven't been inside a Legion in years, it's seems to me a past generation environment. But they are also places for social interaction with shuffle board and darts. Nothing evil about that here in Alberta.

M.

Probably the Rust Belt town difference. 

20 hours ago, Grunt said:

Thanks for taking the time to walk around Temple Square with me.  I don't think I even did anything to threaten our membership.  

It was a real pleasure meeting you.

It had been awhile since I had gone through the Church History Museum. President Eyring’s art exhibit was wonderful. It had also been several years since I had toured the Conference Center. Looks like you made it to the Church Office Bldg., theJoseph Smith Memorial Bldg., Beehive House, and This is the Place Monument. You were busy!

Edited by classylady