Why Do We Celebrate Having Less Church?

Less than a year into this thing, and no president of the Church has enjoyed more “jazz hands” moments in General Conference than Russell M. Nelson. The “no more home teaching”  announcement was met with such loud acclaim that most of us missed the actual message, which was:  “More home teaching, but called something else.” A temple in Russia?  The gasp in the Conference Center was enough to move my hair on my couch 1200 miles away, even though the important elements of “where” and “when” were admittedly absent. Two hour church?  So help me, I’m pretty sure that I saw a beach ball start bouncing around the congregation.  Whoever brought that thing wasn’t about to get caught empty-handed two conferences in a row. For next April, I’m adding to my Conference bingo card spaces for “colored shirts are okay,” “girls pass the sacrament,” and “blood sacrifice.”  The turtledoves better start watching their backs. A more serious question arises with respect to a couple of these changes, which is, “Why do we get...

View the full article