Hiring Young Women to Decorate my Home

ctr2961

I had an Brother from the Elders Quorum come over last week.  Aside from the Missionaries, I had never had a member from the church come into my home-5 years.  He complained my home is so plain with blank white walls with no decorations.

He made a joke about hiring the Young Women's group(with the parents and leaders being there of course) to come in and decorate my home. (picking out colors for the rooms , curtains, and decorations).

I have no idea what Young Women do, but I noticed that their room is always warm and friendly when I go in to get scout supplies from their closet.  When the dinners are planned the young women is always involved.

Do you feel that this is a joke or can this be a realistic idea?   I would do a big donation to the Young Women's budget.

Edited by ctr2961
closet

I would bet that if you asked the missionaries to "mention" that you need help decorating to the bishop, they might make it a service project.  But they'd have to really play it up and explain that you have NOTHING on your walls.  They will begin to understand the need.  And you'd have warm colors on your walls.

Budgets don't really work that way, but:

1) You should pay for everything since it would be your house.

2) No doubt treats as a reward would be appreciated.

3) Be careful what you ask for - YW dinners and rooms are generally decorated (or designed) by an adult, not the young women.  Left to their own devices you might end up with some pretty weird things from the YW.

Meanwhile, there is exactly one framed print hanging on one of my walls, and a whiteboard on a bedroom wall.  The end.  I fail to see the problem.  Humans who need decorated walls don't have good enough imaginations - it's like a fancy image for your computer desktop - if you need that, you're not using your computer right.  (Yes, in my next incarnation, I plan to come back as something which lives under a rock.)

11 minutes ago, zil said:

Budgets don't really work that way, but:

1) You should pay for everything since it would be your house.

2) No doubt treats as a reward would be appreciated.

3) Be careful what you ask for - YW dinners and rooms are generally decorated (or designed) by an adult, not the young women.  Left to their own devices you might end up with some pretty weird things from the YW.

Meanwhile, there is exactly one framed print hanging on one of my walls, and a whiteboard on a bedroom wall.  The end.  I fail to see the problem.  Humans who need decorated walls don't have good enough imaginations - it's like a fancy image for your computer desktop - if you need that, you're not using your computer right.  (Yes, in my next incarnation, I plan to come back as something which lives under a rock.)

Not so, meine Frau.

https://www.fastcompany.com/3044601/why-you-should-never-paint-office-walls-white

Years ago, I had read a study that showed that people who spend a majority of their time surrounded by blank white or nearly white walls all day tend to have something go wrong in their brains.  As I recall, it wasn't that it made people violent.  But they would start having thought processes that just didn't make sense.  One was that if they drank herbal tea, they should be able to fly.  (like I said, they just didn't make any sense).  In third world countries, it caused children to simply have no thoughts.  As in, they could move around and eat, drink, poop, and sleep.  But they simply had no motivation to do anything.  Even some self-preservation instincts were suppressed.

People need visual stimuli of some sort.  If you have white walls -  with a pattern (like brick) that is sufficient stimulus to prevent this from happening.  If you simply put pictures up here or there, that's fine.  But what @ctr2961 is describing (assuming he's not exaggerating) is exactly what that study talked about.  And that might explain why he's feeling so out of sorts due to these recent announcements.

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, Carborendum said:

Not so, meine Frau.

https://www.fastcompany.com/3044601/why-you-should-never-paint-office-walls-white

Years ago, I had read a study that showed that people who spend a majority of their time surrounded by blank white or nearly white walls all day tend to have something go wrong in their brains.  As I recall, it wasn't that it made people violent.  But they would start having thought processes that just didn't make sense.  One was that if they drank herbal tea, they should be able to fly.  (like I said, they just didn't make any sense). 

People need visual stimuli of some sort.  If you have white walls -  with a pattern (like brick) that is sufficient stimulus to prevent this from happening.  If you simply put pictures up here or there, that's fine.  But what @ctr2961 is describing (assuming he's not exaggerating) is exactly what that study talked about.  And that might explain why he's feeling so out of sorts due to these recent announcements.

Well, the walls in this house have been blank and white for all their lives, and I've lived in it all that time - 19 years (possibly to the day, I forget, but it was the end of October).  Now I'm going to view this as a challenge and see how much longer it takes before I believe that hot chocolate will make me invincible.

1 minute ago, zil said:

Well, the walls in this house have been blank and white for all their lives, and I've lived in it all that time - 19 years (possibly to the day, I forget, but it was the end of October).  Now I'm going to view this as a challenge and see how much longer it takes before I believe that hot chocolate will make me invincible.

I have a hunch you spend most of your time stimulating yourself with many bright colors on the computer screen (among others).

Just now, Carborendum said:

I have a hunch you spend most of your time stimulating yourself with many bright colors on the computer screen (among others).

Hmm. Books have white paper with black text.  This website is mostly pale background with black text.  Ditto, FPN.  Ditto word processor.  My inks are many colors though, and it takes almost no effort at all to simply shift my consciousness into a place which exists only in my mind - those places always have lots of color.

So I need to move everything to the basement so I can get a better view of the walls.  Got it.  I'll just put the Lazy-Boy in the center of the room all by itself.

PS: I don't like aqua.  Some other color will be needed - but not until after I've gone nuts.  Hmm, they have suggestions:

"Red For The Detail-Oriented."  Most people would say I'm ridiculously detail-oriented already, and no red walls in sight - commies!

"Blue For Creative Types. Blue is calming. It promotes communication, trust, and efficiency. It also helps people with creativity by opening the mind to new ideas."  I'm hyper-efficient already.  Communication with myself might be just as crazy as whatever white walls does to you.  Do you suppose blue-black is close enough?  I really like blue-blacks.  Meanwhile, this descriptor just skyrocketed this color to the top of my list.

"The color of optimism, yellow is stimulating. Too much of it, however, can cause anxiety, and studies show that people are more likely to lose their temper in yellow rooms..."  I don't like yellow.

"Green For Inspiring Innovation. Similar to blue, green is a calming color that promotes harmony and balance. It also can enhance creative performance, according to a study published in the Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin."  Do you suppose murky green is OK?  I prefer Montblanc Jonathan Swift Seaweed Green.  OK, so a blue wall and a green wall, maybe with a thin red stripe at the top or bottom, and a hidden dot of yellow - so I can be happy that I don't have to look at it - maybe under a light switch cover or something.

What about the ceiling?  I'll ponder that while staring at the white walls.  I'm sure something will come to me.

Just now, mordorbund said:

I have a hunch she's already lost it. I mean, she's created this whole forum in her head....

I do have entire universes in my head, complete with lots of people, all doing their own things.  Pretty sure I didn't create you lot, though. ;)

2 hours ago, zil said:

Real life image of Zil in her home right now

31A66DC8-7E11-4CD3-9C19-769298B5BB3E.jpeg

16 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Not so, meine Frau.

Years ago, I had read a study that showed that people who spend a majority of their time surrounded by blank white or nearly white walls all day tend to have something go wrong in their brains.  As I recall, it wasn't that it made people violent.  But they would start having thought processes that just didn't make sense.  One was that if they drank herbal tea, they should be able to fly.  (like I said, they just didn't make any sense).  In third world countries, it caused children to simply have no thoughts.  As in, they could move around and eat, drink, poop, and sleep.  But they simply had no motivation to do anything.  Even some self-preservation instincts were suppressed.

Explains why when I am home I feel so drained and tired.  No color or no pattern.  No motivation.  Maybe the first decoration should be a picture of the presidency.   I am considering of getting a piano to practice hymns at home.