To the LDS late comers

anatess2

1 hour ago, askandanswer said:

Is that just in Florida? I recall that a regular feature of the Saturday night session of conference is a reminder about the commencement (end?) of day light savings the next day

No it's everywhere in the US except Arizona and maybe Florida (I believe they have a bill moving through the state legislature that would get rid of it there).

1 hour ago, askandanswer said:

Is that just in Florida? I recall that a regular feature of the Saturday night session of conference is a reminder about the commencement (end?) of day light savings the next day

They changed when daylight savings ends a few years back if I remember correctly.

4 hours ago, askandanswer said:

3 hours ago, SilentOne said:

They changed when daylight savings ends a few years back if I remember correctly.

Yes, DST used to begin and end in April and October (on conference weekend).  But it now begins and ends in March and November (away from conference weekend).

Many in Texas are really trying to get rid of it.  And no one really likes it.  But for some reason, we just can't seem to get it passed in the State Legislature.  It really makes no sense.  When you poll the state representatives and senators, NONE of them say they actually like it.  But we can't even get it in for a vote on the floor, much less a majority to pass it.

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

But for some reason, we just can't seem to get it passed in the State Legislature.  It really makes no sense.

Apparently, retail stores benefit from it - people are more likely to go to a store if it's still light out / the later it stays light out.  Thus, the folks making the money are lobbying to keep the stupidity.  I expect either people would get over it in a year or two and buy as much as they ever did regardless of how much light existed outside the store, or online shopping will just toast physical stores to the point where their influence is irrelevant anyway.  That or we'll get lucky and the world will end.

PS: It's Daylight Shifty Time, not "Saving" - nothing is saved, but stuff is definitely shifted.

One thing I have never understood is that after the Fall change, why are people still late for Church?  

Yes, DST used to begin and end in April and October (on conference weekend).  But it now begins and ends in March and November (away from conference weekend).

Yes.  It was the Bush (Jr.) Administration who changed it for the purpose of energy conservation (rather than the traditional use as being for agriculture).   The bill was passed in 2005 and took effect in 2007.

Arizona chooses not to use daylight saving time also in the name of energy conservation because air conditioners use more power than electric lights.  

4 hours ago, KScience said:

Snigger..... 

Am I the only one who struggles with clocks that change themselves?  I find it hard to trust that its been done .... and then I still have the odd clock that does not change. I am so easily confused.

Not to worry! You just need a minor catastrophe to destroy your current clocks. You can then go to Walmart and buy cheap clocks that reset themselves! 

Just read your message above! I love resetting clocks! 🕰 

Where is your phone? Do you not carry it everywhere like Linus’s blanket? 

Edited by Sunday21

5 hours ago, Scott said:

One thing I have never understood is that after the Fall change, why are people still late for Church?  

Yes.  It was the Bush (Jr.) Administration who changed it for the purpose of energy conservation (rather than the traditional use as being for agriculture).   The bill was passed in 2005 and took effect in 2007.

Arizona chooses not to use daylight saving time also in the name of energy conservation because air conditioners use more power than electric lights.  

I just don't buy the agriculture thing.  Farmers don't get up with a clock.  They get up with the sun.

Just as with the energy thing, Arizona is correct.  Lights simply don't make that much of a difference for one hour.  And even with that hour, it hurts just as much in the morning as at night.  So, what's the difference?

If we want any perceived advantages, then shift once into Savings Time, then leave it there.  Why do we bother shifting back?  I don't see the point of that.

If we want any perceived advantages, then shift once into Savings Time, then leave it there. 

I agree.

Why do we bother shifting back?    I don't see the point of that.

Good question and I also don't see the point of switching back in the fall.   Being a an engineer who worked on roads and highways, I also know that pedestrian fatalities go way up after the switch because people aren't use to the rapid change in sunset times.

Anyway, Daylight Saving time is like cutting 6" off one end of your blanket and sewing it to the other end in order to somehow have a longer blanket.    

Edited by Scott

Germany was the first country to enact daylight saving time. It took World War I for Willett's dream to come true, but on April 30, 1916, Germany embraced daylight saving time to conserve electricity. (He may have been horrified to learn that Britain's wartime enemy followed his recommendations before his homeland.)

In the US: The Federal law was amended in 1986 to begin Daylight Saving Time on the first Sunday in April. Under legislation enacted in 1986, Daylight Saving Time in the U.S. began at 2:00 a.m. on the first Sunday of April and ended at 2:00 a.m. on the last Sunday of October.   This I googled.

I agree with @Carborendum it makes NO sense at all. The rotation of the earth around the sun is not dependent on our clocks. DST should be discontinued world wide. There isn't a store in a 100 mile radius of me that stays open till the sun sets ever! They also don't open at daybreak either. The growers and ranchers get up before daybreak to eat, then they go out to tend to their animals and land. If they are wise they go to bed at sunset so they get enough sleep to enable them to work diligently the next day.

7 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

Not to worry! You just need a minor catastrophe to destroy your current clocks. You can then go to Walmart and buy cheap clocks that reset themselves! 

Just read your message above! I love resetting clocks! 🕰 

Where is your phone? Do you not carry it everywhere like Linus’s blanket? 

NOOO I would have to find more clocks that dont change without me doing it :)

I am old school and wear a watch with hands!!!