Self-defense poll for US Saints

NeuroTypical

Self defense poll for US Saints only  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Do you, or someone close to you, have a current conceal-carry permit?

• Yes
    • No
    • I live outside the US, but I must say you people scare me.
  2. 2. For those of you who carry, how often do you carry?

• Rarely or never
    • Occasionally
    • Regularly/often
    • I'm not in the US, but no really, you people are scaring me. Why is this poll even here?
  3. 3. Have you ever carried in church?

• Yes
    • No
    • (Person from outside the US unable to answer, having passed out from fear of their crazy US brethren)

Guest MormonGator

1) I had a CC permit up north, I've forgotten/been to lazy to get one down here. 

2) I almost never carried unless I was hiking in back country. 

3) Yes, but only once. 

I'll go- 

My wife and I helped put a felon behind bars for 5-life.  He knew us, he knew where we lived, and we were worried about the possibility he'd want payback when he got out.   So we took classes and got permitted, and got his-n-hers matching Glocks.  

Our general family attitude regarding danger and bad guys is "We should know 80 ways to not be there in the first place, 15 ways to run the heck the other way, 3 ways to hide, and 2 ways to fight back."  In that order.  Should we ever need to actually use our firearm to defend ourselves, it is because there is no other choice.  We can't hide, we can't run away, we weren't able to see the problem coming and not be there.  Our efforts to practice situational awareness and avoid or deter or evade didn't work.

Guest MormonGator
Just now, NeuroTypical said:

Oh, I dunno.  I'd say every mature/law-abiding/responsible gun owner hopes that.  Bad guys own guns too, and not all bad guys already have felonies that mean they can't legally own guns.

Agree, I meant the law abiding ones.  

I have no problem with anyone that is willing to permit and carry. I have carried and I have served in the military with opportunity for combat (but was never in actual combat).  At this point of my life - I would rather be shot dead by a bad guy than to shoot dead a bad guy - but that does not mean that I will not shoot a bad guy.  Even Jesus (the Son of G-d) found himself doing things he did not actually want to do but realized that there were somethings he had to do.

The Traveler

My dh carries most of the time. My father, brothers and bils all do as well. I am small and know that it makes me more of a target. I was trapped in my car by a guy wanting money for drugs. I har my infant son with me. It scared me and made me apply for my concealed carry permit.  I won't go to that area anymore. Druggies have taken the area over. It's sad.

Our house have firearms as part of our provident living food supply, castle defense, and for competitive sports.

My husband conceal carries as part of his Boy Scout Oath to Be Prepared.  He's also trained in hand-to-hand combat.  I'll re-post this here from another thread:

”Not having a firearm because you rely on police officers to defend your life is the highest degree of eliticism.  It’s a lot higher than leaving the cleaning of your toilet to the maid service.”

Anyway, he grew up trained by his father who is a Naval officer.

1 hour ago, NeuroTypical said:

Also, if you carry, why do you carry?

Basically, I think no one should have to die because they weren't allowed to defend themselves.  If they choose not to or if they are unsuccessful, fine, but to die because you were denied the right to defend yourself is more wrong than I have words to describe.  So I suppose I got my gun and permit as much for the political statement as for self-defense.  I've never been in a place where I felt like I needed to defend myself.  I hope never to be.  And I would take more risk in defense of others (known to be innocent) than in my own defense, but I still hope none of us ever need it:

59 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Our general family attitude regarding danger and bad guys is "We should know 80 ways to not be there in the first place, 15 ways to run the heck the other way, 3 ways to hide, and 2 ways to fight back."  In that order.  Should we ever need to actually use our firearm to defend ourselves, it is because there is no other choice.  We can't hide, we can't run away, we weren't able to see the problem coming and not be there.  Our efforts to practice situational awareness and avoid or deter or evade didn't work.

This.

4 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Answer the poll, and add clarification in the comments.  Also, if you carry, why do you carry?

I'm waiting for @Sunday21 to take the poll so we can populate that bottom line of the poll questions. :P

Yep I went ahead and got my permit a little while ago. In my state once you get it, it's good for life so I figured it was a good investment. I purchased an M and P Shield 9mm and I carry it when I am traveling (by car), and occasionally when I am somewhere I feel unsafe at. God knows I don't ever want to have to use it, I agree with @NeuroTypical's response about avoiding danger, but if it came to the life of my wife and daughter or some criminal, I'm going to choose my wife and daughter and deal with the emotional consequences later.

Edited by Midwest LDS

34 minutes ago, let’s roll said:

My viewpoint is best illustrated by the experience of President Oaks when he and his wife were carjacked/mugged at gunpoint (related in his profile in the latest Ensign).  I can’t imagine ever owning, carrying or using a gun and I’ve lived in East LA and NY.

You're ok in my book, let's roll.  From what they tell me, the gospel's pavilion is big enough to hold both of us.  Thanks for taking the poll.  Honestly, I did not expect to be in the majority here.  But the poll is still young.

I am surprised by results of question #3.  Unless you are in law enforcement and carrying at church is required, carrying to church is against Church policy. I didn't write the Church rules so don't (figuratively) shoot the messenger. 

See "Firearms" under the Church Handbook of Instructions:

https://www.lds.org/handbook/handbook-2-administering-the-church/selected-church-policies/21.2?lang=eng&_r=1#212

Firearms

Churches are dedicated for the worship of God and as havens from the cares and concerns of the world. The carrying of lethal weapons, concealed or otherwise, within their walls is inappropriate except as required by officers of the law.

6 minutes ago, Scott said:

I am surprised by results of question #3.  Unless you are in law enforcement and carrying at church is required, carrying to church is against Church policy. I didn't write the Church rules so don't (figuratively) shoot the messenger. 

See "Firearms" under the Church Handbook of Instructions:

https://www.lds.org/handbook/handbook-2-administering-the-church/selected-church-policies/21.2?lang=eng&_r=1#212

Firearms

Churches are dedicated for the worship of God and as havens from the cares and concerns of the world. The carrying of lethal weapons, concealed or otherwise, within their walls is inappropriate except as required by officers of the law.

Here we go again.  I'm guessing you didn't read the conversation I had with my bishop about this?  Or you thought it of no worth?

23 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Here we go again.  I'm guessing you didn't read the conversation I had with my bishop about this?  Or you thought it of no worth?

No, I did not see it.

6 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

@Scott, do you think a mass shooter cares what the bishop says about firearms? 

I was pointing out what the Church Handbook of Instructions says, rather than what a bishop said.  

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, Scott said:

I was pointing out what the Church Handbook of Instructions says, rather than what a bishop said.  

I understand. 

It's tough to understand and accept, but people who are mass shooters don't generally care about gun laws. Or what well meaning church handbooks or bishops say. 

Guest MormonGator

Believe me, I wish we lived in a world where saying "You leave us alone or I'm telling" worked-but criminals often need a bit more "persuasion" to act in a polite manner. 

Edited by MormonGator

1 hour ago, Scott said:

Unless you are in law enforcement and carrying at church is required, carrying to church is against Church policy.

It hasn't always been that way, or at least they haven't always informed the membership of this policy.  I remember when it became an issue, and it was after I got my permit, which means it was after 1995ish.  I think it was after I moved into this house, so after / at the end of 1999.

Further, if it's a weekday, and you're on your way to or from elsewhere, most of us probably aren't going to go home, secure the weapon, go to church, go back home, get the weapon, etc.  We're just gonna go in packing.

• pam featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured this topic