Utah Medical Marijuana passes

Guest MormonGator

16 minutes ago, Tyme said:

You won’t find it on the internet. It will be in an encyclopedia at the library. They teach it to economics students in grad school.

Then by all means, enlighten me.  I think you just made up the word or a recent professor just decided to make up the word in order to explain another pet theory by another SJW professor with no basis in facts.

But I'm all ears.  Teach me great economist, sir.

EDIT: Ok, I just read your response to Zil.  Like I said.

What I thought you meant was "Transmutation in Economics" which completely didn't fit in the context.  So, I was hoping you would correct yourself.  But no.  You don't really know much about economics and aren't willing to admit it. OK.

Edited by Guest

6 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Then by all means, enlighten me.  I think you just made up the word or a recent professor just decided to make up the word in order to explain another pet theory by another SJW professor with no basis in facts.

But I'm all ears.  Teach me great economist, sir.

EDIT: Ok, I just read your response to Zil.  Like I said.

What I thought you meant was "Transmutation in Economics" which completely didn't fit in the context.  So, I was hoping you would correct yourself.  But no.  You don't really know much about economics and aren't willing to admit it. OK.

That’s a clown question, bro! - Bryce Harper

Edited by Tyme

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, Tyme said:

I think you’re right. I’d like him to go to the Tigers. That’s not going to happen.

You might be better off in the long run. The team that signs him will sell a lot of tickets at first, but they'll be saddled with paying one player huge amounts of money. So they won't  be able to get other players to help him. It's actually pretty complicated. 

• 8 months later...
On 11/8/2018 at 6:51 PM, Just_A_Guy said:

I can do both!  The ”fix bill” involves state-run dispensaries. ;) 

(I wonder whether that exposes the state to a federal racketeering/RICO charge, but that isn’t really my problem.  :banana:)

I’m not always right . . . 

. . . but when I am, it’s pretty awesome.  :cool:

Heh.  Colorado had a mandatory audit of the "seed to sale inventory process" of MJ in the state.  I think I was the only person who read it.  Fun things like "unable to verify 20 lbs of seized product were destroyed per process".  Translation - some government worker stole it as it went from the evidence locker to the burn facility, and it ended up on the streets.

On 11/7/2018 at 7:49 AM, MormonGator said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tomangell/2018/11/07/utah-voters-approve-medical-marijuana/#162390f24140

Putting my personal feelings on this issue aside, I think this shows that the political influence of the church might be declining.

um, yeah. The saddest part is how so many members in Utah are just ignoring the counsel of the Prophets. As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord by listening to them.

3 minutes ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

um, yeah. The saddest part is how so many members in Utah are just ignoring the counsel of the Prophets. As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord by listening to them.

No different from the free-thinking Latter-day Saints who rolled their sophisticated eyes at President Grant's pleas and showed the world just how open-minded they really were by repealing Prohibition. It's a shameful thing, and I count some of my own ancestors among that throng.

Guest MormonGator
4 minutes ago, Vort said:

No different from the free-thinking Latter-day Saints who rolled their sophisticated eyes at President Grant's pleas and showed the world just how open-minded they really were by repealing Prohibition. It's a shameful thing, and I count some of my own ancestors among that throng.

You don't feel guilty about things your ancestors did, do you? Not an insult, genuine question. 

Guest MormonGator
12 minutes ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

Good, you should. Remember that all I said was that it shows the political influence of the church is in decline. I didn't say it was a good thing. 

4 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

You don't feel guilty about things your ancestors did, do you? Not an insult, genuine question. 

Not at all, nor am I ashamed of them. But I reserve the right to recognize and acknowledge wrong actions. In the long view, Utah's deciding lot in repealing Prohibition will forever stand as a shameful black mark on the state's history. I'm not saying that there existed no good arguments for repeal, but when someone you claim to sustain as a Prophet of God says "Please do not do this thing," and you do it anyway—well, that looks like blatant hypocrisy. At the very least, it's treating the counsels of God and his prophets very lightly indeed, and smacks of seeking after the praise of the world.

I-Disapprove_o_103424.jpg

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, Vort said:

Not at all, nor am I ashamed of them. But I reserve the right to recognize and acknowledge wrong actions. In the long view, Utah's deciding lot in repealing Prohibition will forever stand as a shameful black mark on the state's history. I'm not saying that there existed no good arguments for repeal, but when someone you claim to sustain as a Prophet of God says "Please do not do this thing," and you do it anyway—well, that looks like blatant hypocrisy. At the very least, it's treating the counsels of God and his prophets very lightly indeed, and smacks of seeking after the praise of the world.

I understand, I was just curious. 

1 hour ago, MormonGator said:

Good, you should. Remember that all I said was that it shows the political influence of the church is in decline. I didn't say it was a good thing. 

I completely agree with your point. I didn't think you were saying it was good. Sadly, some would see it that way though. I have a daughter that is on the other side of the issue from me and it breaks my heart.

Guest MormonGator
1 hour ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

I completely agree with your point. I didn't think you were saying it was good. Sadly, some would see it that way though. I have a daughter that is on the other side of the issue from me and it breaks my heart.

I'm on the other side of this specific issue, I think medical marijuana should be legalized. If I'm suffering from a terminal disease, than I should be allowed to smoke it. That said, I'm deeply troubled that Utah is getting more secular and that the church is losing political power. It's like what happened in Ireland earlier this year with the abortion vote. 

Just now, MormonGator said:

I'm on the other side of this specific issue, I think medical marijuana should be legalized. If I'm suffering from a terminal disease, than I should be allowed to smoke it. That said, I'm deeply troubled that Utah is getting more secular and that the church is losing political power. It's like what happened in Ireland earlier this year with the abortion vote. 

I daresay that many if not most Church authorities agree about medical marijuana, to some degree at least. The Church's opposition appeared to be to the specific plan, not to the general idea. The Church's opposition to the Equal Rights Amendment is a prime example of opposing bad legislation even when it purports to be trying to do something good.

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, Vort said:

I daresay that many if not most Church authorities agree about medical marijuana, to some degree at least. The Church's opposition appeared to be to the specific plan, not to the general idea. The Church's opposition to the Equal Rights Amendment is a prime example of opposing bad legislation even when it purports to be trying to do something good.

Yup, I agree. I think most people are in favor of the general idea of letting terminally ill people alleviate the pain any way they can, including via marijuana. 

Their opposition to the ERA was 100% correct and I agree with the them completely. 

Even though gay marriage is legal, I'd love to see it on a ballot in Utah. That would indicate how much political power the church really has left.

13 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Even though gay marriage is legal, I'd love to see it on a ballot in Utah. That would indicate how much political power the church really has left.

Not sure what the purpose would be. Given the Supreme Court's unabashedly activist stance in declaring homosexual "marriage" the law of the land, Utah can no more outlaw it than it can outlaw free speech or possession of weapons. I would argue that it would be easier to outlaw those latter two in today's environment than to outlaw a fundamentally meaningless idea like "homosexual marriage".

Guest MormonGator
22 minutes ago, Vort said:

Not sure what the purpose would be. 

Right. Like I said, it's legal so it wouldn't do anything legally. But it would show the political power of the church. Let me say it this way-I'd like to see a telephone poll taken. Just "Do you approve of gay marriage?". There.

Guest Mores
10 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Right. Like I said, it's legal so it wouldn't do anything legally. But it would show the political power of the church. Let me say it this way-I'd like to see a telephone poll taken. Just "Do you approve of gay marriage?". There.

Ta-dah

https://utahpolicy.com/index.php/features/today-at-utah-policy/3258-poll-shows-same-sex-marriage-is-a-difficult-issue-in-utah

https://archive.sltrib.com/article.php?id=57391605&itype=CMSID

All somewhat outdated.  But I'm not sure anything big has happened to change the numbers.