The next logical step

Vort

46 minutes ago, estradling75 said:

Indeed the point of having scriptures and prophets is to have a check on our impulses that might be mistaken for spiritual promptings.

The whole point of this life is to test us to see if we will follow God's commands.  It is not much of a test when we agree with it.  The test is when we disagree.  Those that say I believe in prophets, and scriptures, when they tell me what I want to hear, but ignore and discount them when they say things they do not like are failing this test.  They are instead worshiping an idol.  An Idol they have created in their own image.  Sadly if they do not repent they will find that their Idol has no power to save and will perish with them.

To continue an old thread, I believe this is just another example of "Man creating God in his own image."  Instead of starting with the words of God and his living oracles, they start with the assumption that they already know everything and then use that to judge whether the prophet is in tune or not.

The "idol" that you speak of:  I'm afraid too many people (truly, all over the political spectrum) have given themselves to society and their chosen politics first.  Then they let their politics inform how they are to interpret the words of the prophets.  So, the "idol" they worship is societal norms or political agenda.

Others see their own situations and their own desires (because they are the exception) and decide that whatever they decide for themselves should be the rule rather than the exception.  Rather than saying in their hearts, "If only I could, I would.  But I don't, because I can't", yes, instead of that, they say,"Well, obviously this should be the standard.  The prophet just didn't say it right.  But I know what they really meant.  Everyone else is interpreting it wrong."  So, their idol, which they go to for wisdom, is their own excuses.

Some call these people the "Cafeteria" Saints (or Catholics, or Lutherans, or...) they all have them.  These are they who pick and choose what things they're going to obey and which things they're going to deny because, well, that's just ignorant.

Thou Shalt Have No Other Gods Before Me.

Too many think this just means we don't have golden cattle and the like.  It means if you believe ANYTHING before you believe ME, then you're doing it wrong.  Your poltics does not tell me how to bring you up.  My commandments should tell you what your politics should be like.

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

This is EXACTLY the argument between a TERF feminist and a transgender woman... The argument was over transgender women handily beating everybody in sports.  The feminist is arguing that trans women should be excluded from women sports.  The trans women replies... "why do you hate me?".  The conversation evolved to the trans woman saying she should be allowed to live as a woman to which the feminist replied - what does "living like a woman mean?" and the trans woman replied, "to wear women's clothes, to do what women do." and the feminist threw her hands up in frustration, "we've been trying to smash those ridiculous ideas of what women should be or look like in women's fashion and here you are calling us hateful as you dismantle our life's work".

Isn't it great how they just... eat their own?

I'd like to see that interview.

I am having an issue at work as I am expected to teach about transexuals and their rights.  I have stated that I will not teach that tutorial but the college can provide someone to stand in on my behalf if its essential to the tutorial program. Apparently I can't do this.

I am also being challenged as I set an assignment which involved designing a fitness plan for a specific person and pointing out that there are basic physiological differences for males and females (and ages).  Yes I have pointed out I am just stating scientific FACTS.

BONKERS  :banghead:

3 minutes ago, Tyme said:

The reality is that gay saints are being put through hell on earth.

I am not sure why you have detracted again from transgender to gay.

This is your opinion and experience; that's fine. However some of us have different experiences. I know a long term, faithful, temple recommend holding, gay member. He is well respected and a huge contributor to my old ward. He lives the law of chastity, THE SAME as all the long term single members.  I assume he can not be the only one. Could it be that we just don't hear from these members as they don't have a public agenda to push?

1 minute ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Ulp. There’s that word again . . .

Notice how he refuses to engage the points being used?  His only tactic is an attempt at weaponizing compassion.

The simple fact is most of us have/are currently/or will at some point be put through hell on earth.... That is part of the test.

The correct answer is not to embrace sin, but to turn away from sin and embrace the Lord.

An example is Elder Oaks, his wife died(rip) in 1998 and he was remarried in 2000. He could only last two years without a spouse. Imagine having to go your whole life with out an SO.

SO?

Elder Oaks marriage choices are hardly relevant to your argument. Look at the membership and see how many never married (straight) women there are who accept chastity to remain in good standing in the church.

Edited by KScience

13 minutes ago, estradling75 said:

Notice how he refuses to engage the points being used?  His only tactic is an attempt at weaponizing compassion.

The simple fact is most of us have/are currently/or will at some point be put through hell on earth.... That is part of the test.

The correct answer is not to embrace sin, but to turn away from sin and embrace the Lord.

I’ll probably refute those points when I can actually use my computer and not a phone. Be on the lookout it should be today.

13 minutes ago, estradling75 said:

No, he only refuses to engage points that he has no way of countering. The remaining points he only counters with weaponized compassion.  Since he's pretty much ignored 95% of the points, and uses rhetoric for the other 5%, we see that he knows just how weak his position is.

12 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

No, he only refuses to engage points that he has no way of countering. The remaining points he only counters with weaponized compassion.  Since he's pretty much ignored 95% of the points, and uses rhetoric for the other 5%, we see that he knows just how weak his position is.

Weaponized compassion is a tool you use to shut down everything that goes against your belief system. There is nothing wrong with having compassion. It’s actually a big part of charity.

29 minutes ago, Tyme said:

The reality is that gay saints are being put through perdition on earth.

Perdition means "lost". Yes, those who embrace homosexuality, and especially those who deny the truths of the gospel of Jesus Christ in order to embrace homosexuality and the homosexual agenda, are indeed lost. They will remain lost forever, until they give up their sin, put off their filth, humble themselves, and come unto Jesus.

7 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Charity, folks...  Remember the site rules, please. 

I'm all for charity. (Believe it or not. I really am.) But when someone refuses to engage, openly trolls, and calls the Saints to repentance for refusing to embrace the homosexual agenda, charity is not the only factor in play.

Weaponized compassion is a tool you use to shut down everything that goes against your belief system. There is nothing wrong with having compassion. It’s actually a big part of charity.

Weaponized compassion is a WEAPON to brow beat people into submission.  Which is exactly what you are attempting... We have compassion, we have charity that is why when we see our brother or sister in Christ who is struggling with sin we warn them away.  It shows a total lack of compassion and charity to encourage them to engage in sin.

17 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Charity, folks...  Remember the site rules, please. 

So, was he exercising charity when he said everyone on this site is heartless and ignorant because we actually listen to the prophet?

5 hours ago, Tyme said:

The reality is that gay saints are being put through hell on earth.

This probably comes off colder than I mean it but so what? 

How does that have any bearing on the truth of the commandment?

The natural man is an enemy to God. Gay people struggle with a predisposition to a specific sin. It's difficult for them to live a chaste life. Right, guess what man? We *all* have predispositions to different sins. We all struggle to live the commandments. Some of us more than others, some of our sins make our lot in life difficult. Gods covenant path is often described as difficult, straight and narrow, this doesn't change the truth of His commandments. We all go through our own little "hells" on earth, but Iiving the commandments isn't what puts us there, sinning is.

Edited by jerome1232
Typing on a phone is hard

2 minutes ago, Tyme said:

So now I’m a troll and use weaponized impassion to heat somebody into submission? I don’t think like that. If you believe I’m truly doing those things it’s not intentional.

So is that an apology for the following statement?

On 11/14/2018 at 5:31 PM, Tyme said:

I’m just going to say it like it is. You’ll probably think the same about my position. Please don’t take offense.

i think anybody who opposes LGBT folk are heartless, not following the spirit and ignorant.

Because you started attacking faithful followers of God with your second post in this thread... while trying to blame everyone else.  All while trying to claim the high ground of being someone who is tolerant or compassionate or charitable.

2 minutes ago, estradling75 said:

So is that an apology for the following statement?

Because you started attacking faithful followers of God with your second post in this thread... while trying to blame everyone else.  All while trying to claim the high ground of being someone who is tolerant or compassionate or charitable.

That’s why I prefaced it by saying please don’t take offense. I knew it was harsh. It’s just I couldn’t think of any other way to say it. I evidently caused hurt and offense. I’m sorry for that.

Guest MormonGator

@Tyme, I'm pro gay marriage, pro gay adoption, and pro transgender rights. I'd NEVER say that anyone who opposes me is "heartless", "ignorant" or "Not following the spirit". You are way off base.