Adam’s Garment

mikbone

There is evidence that these garments were the first holy relics on Earth. Adam’s garment may have passed from Adam → Enoch → Methuselah → Noah — stolen → Ham → Cush → Nimrod –spoil of battle → Esau –traded for bowl of porridge → Jacob → Joseph.[1]  Hugh Nibley presents an excellent argument that Joseph’s coat of many colors was Adam’s garment.[2] The garment was redolent of the Garden of Eden, so it reminded Adam and Eve as well as the original patriarchs of the time that man walked with God.[3]  When animals caught scent of the garments they were pacified as well, a quality that Nimrod abused to become a mighty hunter.[4]

[1]Genesis 9:21-25, Genesis 25:30-34, Jasher 7:24-30, Jasher 27:4-12, Collected Works of Hugh Nibley, Vol.5, Part.2, Ch.1, pp. 169-171

[2]Alma 46:23-24, Hugh Nibley, Teachings of the Book of Mormon, vol. 3, 51-52

[3]Genesis 3:8, 5:22, 6:9, 27:27

[4]Genesis 10:9

3 hours ago, mikbone said:

There is evidence that these garments were the first holy relics on Earth. Adam’s garment may have passed from Adam → Enoch → Methuselah → Noah — stolen → Ham → Cush → Nimrod –spoil of battle → Esau –traded for bowl of porridge → Jacob → Joseph.[1]  Hugh Nibley presents an excellent argument that Joseph’s coat of many colors was Adam’s garment.[2] The garment was redolent of the Garden of Eden, so it reminded Adam and Eve as well as the original patriarchs of the time that man walked with God.[3]  When animals caught scent of the garments they were pacified as well, a quality that Nimrod abused to become a mighty hunter.[4]

[1]Genesis 9:21-25, Genesis 25:30-34, Jasher 7:24-30, Jasher 27:4-12, Collected Works of Hugh Nibley, Vol.5, Part.2, Ch.1, pp. 169-171

Interesting thought, but highly doubt they were passed down as such. Garments don't last 2000 years or more, but an intriguing thought.

36 minutes ago, Anddenex said:

Interesting thought, but highly doubt they were passed down as such. Garments don't last 2000 years or more, but an intriguing thought.

They would if they were made of Celestial material! Was it not God that gave it to them???

Edited by Fether

Moses 4:27 does make them exceptional.

And much of Nibley’s conclusions were generated by Jewish tradition.  But some of Jewish tradition says they were made of snake skin as well, which I don’t like.  I have reason to believe that they were made of sheep skin.

And interestingly there is no report of Eve’s garment which must have been special as well. I bet Adam burried Eve in her garments.  Thats what I would have done.

7 hours ago, Fether said:

They would if they were made of Celestial material! Was it not God that gave it to them???

The "Fall", but the garments were "eternal" as they are made of Celestial material??? Where does scripture specify they were made of Celestial material???

Edited by Anddenex

7 hours ago, Fether said:

That would destroy the symbolism of "coats of skins".

Edited by Guest

11 hours ago, mikbone said:

Esau –traded for bowl of porridge → Jacob ... a quality that Nimrod abused to become a mighty hunter.

In the book of Jasher, Esau stole the garment from Nimrod and ran to Jacob for help avoiding capture / detection.  This is how Jacob got the garment and the birthright - saving Esau's life - not for a mess of pottage.  I like this expanded version of events - seems more probable than just that Esau was starving.

1 hour ago, zil said:

In the book of Jasher, Esau stole the garment from Nimrod and ran to Jacob for help avoiding capture / detection.  This is how Jacob got the garment and the birthright - saving Esau's life - not for a mess of pottage.  I like this expanded version of events - seems more probable than just that Esau was starving.

Maybe.  But then we wouldn't have the fantastic analogy of selling our birthright for a mess of pottage.  Also, I'm not seeing how the big burly Esau needed help from the smaller less "manly/hairy" Jacob.

But who knows?

1 hour ago, zil said:

Yes, I actually took the effort to write all the footnotes (including those in the book of Jasher) so that those who make commentary might read the pertinent material.

33 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Maybe.  But then we wouldn't have the fantastic analogy of selling our birthright for a mess of pottage.  Also, I'm not seeing how the big burly Esau needed help from the smaller less "manly/hairy" Jacob.

But who knows?

Read the story - it's fun, if nothing else.  The help is not in fighting against Nimrod, but in hiding Esau, the fact that he stole the garment, and hiding the garment itself.  I think the lesson is added to - don't go around thieving and getting yourself into dangerous situations where you'll sell your soul just to survive.

13 hours ago, mikbone said:

A lot of conjecture here...a lot.

16 hours ago, Rob Osborn said:

A lot of conjecture here...a lot.

I dont know.  If you read all the material listed (although some of which is Apocryphal) it does make a very interesting narrative..  And the fact that God produced the garments himself is spectacular.  They might be somewhat similar to the Stones of the Ten Commandments, or the Urim & Thummin that The Brother of Jared received, or the Liahona.

Can you think of other Relics that the Lord made?

Alma 46: 24  ... he saw that a part of the remnant of the coat of Joseph was preserved and had not decayed.

Edited by mikbone

3 hours ago, Anddenex said:

The "Fall", but the garments were "eternal" as they are made of Celestial material??? Where does scripture specify they were made of Celestial material???

Oh ... it doesn’t, you have to be enlightened to know this

52 minutes ago, mikbone said:

Alma 46: 24  ... he saw that a part of the remnant of the coat of Joseph was preserved and had not decayed.

This is Jacob (Joseph's father) speaking before he died that a part of the coat of many colors had not decayed, and specifies the "garment of my son."

The symbolism of what is being said is important pertaining to Joseph's seed, "And he said—Even as this remnant of garment of my son hath been preserved, so shall a remnant of the seed of my son be preserved by the hand of God, and be taken unto himself, while the remainder of the seed of Joseph shall perish, even as the remnant of his garment."

This is more the "conjecture" I would say @Rob Osborn is speaking about.

4 minutes ago, Fether said:

Oh ... it doesn’t, you have to be enlightened to know this

Ah, so that's why I don't know.  I'm just not enlightened enough.  I'll go work on my radiation therapy.

5 minutes ago, Vort said:

I don't believe in holy relics. I think that's just old plain superstitious magic by another name.

Oh, yeah?!?  Well, what do you call the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch?  Huh?

1 hour ago, Vort said:

I don't believe in holy relics. I think that's just old plain superstitious magic by another name.

You will be regretting your disbelief when I have gathered togethered Adam’s garment of invincibility, Mose’s staff of unlimited power, the Liahona if forsight, Nephi’s boat of instant travel (as it only took them on chapter to go from Saudi Arabia to the Americas), and Paul’s Handkerchief Of immunity.

I will be the most power being on earth.

I agree with @Vort relics are never themselves holy - it is what they can or should represent that is holy.  Thus such things are but substitutions until we connect to, understand and master, "The Real Thing".

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

On 11/9/2018 at 12:48 PM, mikbone said:

Hugh Nibley presents an excellent argument that Joseph’s coat of many colors was Adam’s garment.[2

Genesis 37:3  Now Israel loved Joseph more than all his children, because he was the son of his old age: and he made him a coat of many colours.

So what would be a less offensive term than a holy relic for items that are ‘imbued’ with supernatural properties

D&C 17:1  Behold, I say unto you, that you must rely upon my word, which if you do with full purpose of heart, you shall have a view of the plates, and also of the breastplate, the sword of Laban, the Urim and Thummim, which were given to the brother of Jared upon the mount, when he talked with the Lord face to face, and the miraculous directors which were given to Lehi while in the wilderness, on the borders of the Red Sea.

Ark of the Covenant  Heb 9:4

Brass Plates 1 Ne 5: 18-19

Miraculous Heirlooms?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_many_colors

The above article has some relevent information as to the original Hebrew meaning of the “coat of many colors”

12D7D3D4-3306-486E-8C57-1F7836264FD4.thumb.png.6d600400494b629ec46726d87543469d.png

The above picture is from the Wave bible iphone app.  It is worth the fee.  

Allowing you to compare the KJV to the original Hebrew for the Old Testament and Aramaic for the New Testament

Edited by mikbone