Adam’s Garment

mikbone

1 hour ago, mikbone said:

So what would be a less offensive term than a holy relic for items that are ‘imbued’ with supernatural properties

D&C 17:1  Behold, I say unto you, that you must rely upon my word, which if you do with full purpose of heart, you shall have a view of the plates, and also of the breastplate, the sword of Laban, the Urim and Thummim, which were given to the brother of Jared upon the mount, when he talked with the Lord face to face, and the miraculous directors which were given to Lehi while in the wilderness, on the borders of the Red Sea.

Ark of the Covenant  Heb 9:4

Brass Plates 1 Ne 5: 18-19

Miraculous Heirlooms?

Nibley defined a magical item as something that contained the supernatural power within itself. Almost all divine instruments, such as the Liahona and seerstones, work by faith. They are not gadgets so much as faith instruments. Without faith, they don't work. (The Brother of Jared's shining pebbles might be an exception.)

As a rule, I reject "magical" items and ideas. Music is magical. Beyond that, magic means prestidigitation. I don't believe in I Dream of Jeannie.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2018 at 1:28 PM, Fether said:

You will be regretting your disbelief when I have gathered togethered Adam’s garment of invincibility, Mose’s staff of unlimited power, the Liahona if forsight, Nephi’s boat of instant travel (as it only took them on chapter to go from Saudi Arabia to the Americas), and Paul’s Handkerchief Of immunity.

I will be the most power being on earth.

Oh yes, I am familiar with these. The Celestial Hallows!