Centered on Christ

zil

My bishop asked the ward council to read a talk before our next meeting: We Talk of Christ, We Rejoice in Christ.

It's an excellent talk.  Some of the concepts therein remind me of the principles that were at least in my mind, if not in my writing, when I posted about goals on Monday - particularly the idea of doing things consciously, deliberately.

One of the impressions I had, and it seemed so obvious as I read, was that we need to do a better job of centering all our lessons on Christ.  It doesn't matter what the specific topic or talk is, there's a way to link it back to Christ - whether it testifies of him, or whether he's the perfect example of living the principle, or whatever, the connection can be made (and if it can't, it's probably not the right topic).  I will be recommending this approach to our RS teachers - not because we don't already focus a lot on Christ, but because I want to be sure we're making a deliberate, intentional, conscious effort to do so.

Also, when I read this bit:

More recently, Elder Robert D. Hales made a statement that has caused me much reflection. He said, “We watch, hear, read, study, and share the words of prophets to be forewarned and protected. For example, ‘The Family: A Proclamation to the World’ was given long before we experienced the challenges now facing the family.” And then he added this thought, “‘The Living Christ: The Testimony of the Apostles’ was prepared in advance of when we will need it most.”17

...I decided to look up some numbers.  "The Family: A Proclamation to the World" was released in 1995.  It's hard to say exactly when things got really bad for the family, but if we pretend like it was 2015, that's 20 years (Elder Hales' talk was in 2013, so we could go with 18 years).  "The Living Christ: The Testimony of the Apostles" was released in 2000.  So, 2018?  2020?  Somewhere in there.  Throw that in with the changes President Nelson has announced, and it's enough to make you wonder.

There were other things that impressed me in the talk, and I'd be happy to discuss further, if anyone wants to, but at the very least, I recommend the talk as worth your time.  There's a video, for those who prefer that to reading - just over 21 minutes long.

Thanks for the invitation.  Very thought provoking.  After reading and reflecting my thought is that just as support for traditional families has comes under increasing scrutiny, with many now believing that such support is not just wrong but also hostile and bigoted, a belief in, and desire to follow Christ will also be subject to increased ridicule and scorn.

There are many who already believe that it will never be enough to love the sinner but reject the sin, because to truly love someone means to embrace everything about them and that those who follow divine teachings are using those teachings to justify their bigotry.

The importance of the witnesses given by apostles almost 20 years and their invitation to us to come to know the Savior will become increasingly evident as we see many professed Christians, including some within the Church, set aside their efforts to come to Christ, either because they become convinced that His teachings are outdated or because they fear the scorn of the world.

That scorn will increase to the level that it will make discipleship untenable for anyone without a genuine love of the Savior and the companionship of the Holy Ghost.  Thus the recent emphasis on the need to be led by the Spirit.

My two cents.  Thanks again for the invitation.

Sometimes I think this is a chicken or egg kind of thing.  I remember some years ago when serving in a calling with the young men we were advised to have a priesthood purpose for each activity.  It did not change the activities we planned that much – what it changed was the creativity employed to come up with a priesthood purpose for the activities we planned.

Another observation – a while back I was called to be our ward nursery leader.  My ward is kind of a newlywed and nearly dead ward.   I have never been that involved with young children.  My dear wife kept our home and I did a lot a traveling with work.  She thought ward nursery leader was the perfect calling for me.   I approached it like any other calling – I read all the information and intended to install all the recommended procedures and structures.  Nothing worked and nursery workers were quitting – it seemed weekly.  So I prayed a lot – visited other nurseries and talked to anyone that thought they were an expert.  Things still did not work out very well.  Especially lesson time was a disaster.   Then I had a thought – the thought was to make nursery fun.  Not just fun for the kids but fun for the adults serving as well.

There was a dramatic change within just a few weeks.  Sometimes lesson time was me holding up a picture of Jesus and saying to the children – “This is Jesus Christ.  He loves you and wants you to have fun and love coming to church.”  But getting through the second hour was a challenge.  Until I had an idea.  We had this large knitted bag of balls of various sizes.  About half way through the second hour I took the bag and all the balls with the kids into the cultural hall for about 15 minutes.  I gave each kid a ball and told them to kick it and run after the balls.  The balls in the cultural hall was a unprecedented success.  The little darlings got out of the confined nursery and they got to run with the herd.  Lots of good and fun things started happening in the nursery – but the best thing seemed to me that the kids bonded with each other and the leaders.  But then, one day there was someone that complained about the little children running wild in the cultural hall.  I honestly do not know who it was but they complained to the bishop that this particular activity must stop.  I think it may have been a former stake president – but that is beside the point.  We were told that the children were not wild animals – or something like that. 

I came up with another idea that worked almost as well but the point I want to make here is that being Christ centered is not always having a lesson or something where we talk about Jesus.  As adults we are encouraged to read scriptures daily – This is not because reading scriptures in the goal of life or eternity.  That is not what we are trying to do – especially in this life.  Some days the real goal is to just get through the day.  I understand that for many – having a Christ centered life would be a drastic change for them.  But I believe for most of the Latter-day Saints; having a Christ centered life really does not change anything we will do – but thinking about being Christ centered will remind us and help us remember why we are here on earth – trying to get through the day.  And my advice?  Every day has 24 hours in it regardless of what you do, say or think – so while getting through the next 24 hours it will be a lot more enjoyable if you have fun or think you are having fun and remember Jesus wants you to enjoy every second of your life – not just while being a mortal but for every second of the rest of eternity as well.

The Traveler

Guest LiterateParakeet

Zil, what a beautiful and inspiring talk!  Thanks so much.  I remember Spencer W. Kimball said of Christ, "No matter how much we speak of Him it is never enough."  

I have been a proponent of making all talks, testimonies, lessons Christ centered for awhile, not only for the reasons stated so well in this article, but for personal reasons as well.  When I went through seven years of hell and healing, I often went to church seeking the Balm of Gilead.  Something to help me cope....I didn't find that talks about missionary work, tithing etc helped at all....but here's the thing. I think they could have been helpful if they had been centered in Christ, if for no other reason than the increased Spirit they would have brought.  I was so hungry for messages about Christ, that I started listening to podcasts from other religions.  I found one I particularly loved.  EVERY thing he taught was Christ-centered!  His sermons were the Balm of Gilead that I needed.  We could do the same in our church too, if we make an effort.   

Remember how Elder Eyring tells the story about being told by a mentor, "Imagine that half the people you meet are going through a very difficult trial"  (something to that effect) and he found out that was mostly true.  We NEED more Christ-centered talks, lessons and testimonies for all who are hurting and seeking the comfort that only comes through Christ.  

The talk you shared Zil gave me some new ideas on how I can improve my devotionals with my children, and my Sunday School lessons.  I liked this talk so much I listened to it twice.  Thanks so much for sharing it.  I shared it on my ward facebook page and encouraged them to all read it too!   

On 11/9/2018 at 7:12 PM, zil said:

It's hard to say exactly when things got really bad for the family

I would believe that one reason why it's hard to say is that we can't really define when "things got really bad".  It's been bad since the 80s in my opinion.