Slaying Laban to get the plates

18 hours ago, Vort said:

Hey there, Jim. Any plans to answer the many questions we have put to you?

Of course not.  He hasn't been here in nearly a month.  And his last post consisted of

1. A dodge.
2. A misdirect.
3. A snuck premise.
4. A false statement.

All in one or two sentences as I recall.  I guess he didn't like it when I used the same tactics on him.  Poor guy.  He could dish it out but couldn't take it.

On 12/3/2018 at 5:22 PM, Carborendum said:

What he doesn't understand is that this wasn't a murder.  It was an execution.  God is the King of Kings.  He is the ultimate governing authority.  He  has the right to decide who lives and who dies because He is the only one who can have perfect knowledge and perfect judgment in the matter.

CREDIT: The following was something @Vort said a while back.  But I've pondered this for a while and have decided that I agree with it.

• When Laman first went to visit Laban to ask for the plates, Laban said 1) You're a thief and 2) I'm going to kill you for being a thief.
  • When they visited Laban the second time to try to BUY the plates with all their wealth, Laban became a thief, and still tried to kill them all to hide the fact.
  • The third time, the Lord pronounced sentence.  Laban was a thief and pronounced judgment upon him by his own standards.

"Judge not lest ye be judged.  For with that same judgment with which ye judge, ye shall also be judged."

I'll rephrase the question then. Was Nephi the only person ever commanded by the Holy Ghost to execute a
defenseless man?

Thank you,

Gale

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:
On 11/11/2018 at 11:36 AM, Fether said:

Laban, who was related to them,

Where is that written in the scriptures? I think you may be incorrect.

I can’t remember where, but Hugh Nibley suggests that they are distant relatives of some sort and explains his reasoning behind the belief 

Edited by Fether

8 minutes ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

So it is just a theory of Hugh Nibley then? He could be right, but it is possible that Lehi was the rightful heir to the plates and Laban had kept them against the will of God.

Sure, I’m not so sold on the idea that I’m ganna argue about it, and my original statement holds without this tidbit.