Where shall we go on on our summer vacation?

Sunday21

Guest MormonGator
Just now, zil said:

Said the guy who just used it! :rolleyes:

Excuse me young lady, but I've heard the words you say from the payroll office. Your bishop will be speaking to you shortly. 

18 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

Ugh! It’s snowing! And I still have outdoor painting to do! Must plan summer vacation to help me through the winter. Where do you think that you would like to go?

Me: Toronto. Royal Ont Museum and dinosaurs! Must see dinosaurs! 

So, instead of planning a vacation that takes you away from the hated winter, you plan a vacation which takes you away from the desirable summer?

Baffling.

PS: The dinosaurs are replicas - the real ones left a long time ago.  (Better to face reality now than be disappointed when you arrive.)

33 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Excuse me young lady, but I've heard the words you say from the payroll office. Your bishop will be speaking to you shortly. 

Swearing is an interesting thing.  Background: In Russian, if you want to say, "Let's go!" you literally say, "We left."  Or, if you want to say, "I'm leaving.", you literally say, "I left."

One of the most vulgar things you can say in Russian (or so I was told while there) uses the same verb and the same tense - past tense used as imperative - thus, literally translated into English: "You1 left..."  Even in Russian, they often leave off the last to words2 - everyone knows from the tone what you mean.

1The familiar, singular "you", not the formal/plural "you".

2I don't think we have a vulgar enough way to say it, even with swear words.  Go figure.

Despite the usage being imperative, this is not the same way as you would command someone to "get out" (at least not that I ever heard, though I suppose it would be grammatically correct if you added the "out of here" to it).

Now back to your regularly scheduled vacation.

Edited by zil

53 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

Ugh! It’s snowing! And I still have outdoor painting to do! Must plan summer vacation to help me through the winter. Where do you think that you would like to go?

Me: Toronto. Royal Ont Museum and dinosaurs! Must see dinosaurs! 

What about you? 

Oh! Toronto.

Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate.
Rough winds do shake the darling buds of may...

Haven’t made plans for summer yet. But, in April my husband and I are taking our 14 year old granddaughter to London so she can visit her best friend. We will actually be in the Ipswich area for about two weeks. I’m really looking forward to this trip.

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

OK.  You're making me want to be your best friend.

1 hour ago, zil said:

Right?

Seriously, you should go too.  It's super cheap.  Especially for you, @Carborendum!  Eva Air flies out of IAH and if you fly out between February and May you could go for a round trip price of only $695.  Package tours for Coron (pictured) or El Nido in Palawan Island go as low as $150 for a 4 day trip, hotel, meals, transportation and tour guides included.

30 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Seriously, you should go too.  It's super cheap.  Especially for you, @Carborendum!  Eva Air flies out of IAH and if you fly out between February and May you could go for a round trip price of only $695.  Package tours for Coron (pictured) or El Nido in Palawan Island go as low as $150 for a 4 day trip, hotel, meals, transportation and tour guides included.

Who needs a tour guide when I've got you?

56 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Who needs a tour guide when I've got you?

I don't do tourist spots.  I go the local route.

I wouldn't mind being your tour guide if you don't mind going local.  Which means you would be sleeping or dining in places that may not be up to American standards - e.g. no A/C, no wifi, no cell signal, bring-your-own-toilet-paper, different idea for what passes for clean...  ;)

29 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

I don't do tourist spots.  I go the local route.

I wouldn't mind being your tour guide if you don't mind going local.  Which means you would be sleeping or dining in places that may not be up to American standards - e.g. no A/C, no wifi, no cell signal, bring-your-own-toilet-paper, different idea for what passes for clean...  ;)

As long as I'm told ahead of time where I need to bring it, I'm fine.  The rest of it isn't a problem.  But I gotta have my toilet paper.  If you're game, I could talk to my wife about arranging something.  Not this year.  We've got plans.  But next year in winter.

Just now, Carborendum said:

As long as I'm told ahead of time where I need to bring it, I'm fine.  The rest of it isn't a problem.  But I gotta have my toilet paper.  If you're game, I could talk to my wife about arranging something.  Not this year.  We've got plans.  But next year in winter.

My entire family is headed there in either June or July and will be there until school starts up in late August.  Slightly expensive airfare... sorry!  We can't go earlier (we usually fly out in mid-May the kids take the last 2 weeks of school off) because my son is graduating and we want to have him experience commencement exercises.  We don't have the final schedule of when the commencement music showcase is going to be but it will be sometime in June.

1 minute ago, anatess2 said:

My entire family is headed there in either June or July and will be there until school starts up in late August.  Slightly expensive airfare... sorry!  We can't go earlier (we usually fly out in mid-May the kids take the last 2 weeks of school off) because my son is graduating and we want to have him experience commencement exercises.  We don't have the final schedule of when the commencement music showcase is going to be but it will be sometime in June.

We've got a family reunion during that time.  So, it's a bust.

19 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

We've got a family reunion during that time.  So, it's a bust.

I was gonna suggest going in March.  I could go then too.  But then I remembered it is election year.  You don't want to go "local" with me during campaign season.  It can get hairy.

Christmas is actually a super duper awesome time to take a Filipino local adventure.  We haven't planned our Christmas yet (expecting my son to start his mission around this time).  I'll let you know if we can do a Philippine Christmas that year.

Edited by anatess2

21 hours ago, mirkwood said:

We're going to end up in the Caribbean this late winter, early spring.  Not sure which island yet.

3 hours ago, mirkwood said:

Uhhh....the Caribbean is full of islands...

The Caribbean is a sea.  An island is not a sea.  So if you're going to end up in the Caribbean, then you'll be all wet.  But then you go on about how you're not sure which island, and now how the sea is full of islands (by which you mean, has several islands in it), as if you won't be in the sea but on an island.  I was just suggesting you decide whether you'll be in the Caribbean or on an island.  See?

Edited by zil

2 hours ago, zil said:

The Caribbean is a sea.  And island is not a sea.  So if you're going to end up in the Caribbean, then you'll be all wet.  But then you go on about how you're not sure which island, and now how the sea is full of islands (by which you mean, has several islands in it), as if you won't be in the sea but on an island.  I was just suggesting you decide whether you'll be in the Caribbean or on an island.  See?

red.jpg