Sealing kids

Tyme

3 minutes ago, JohnsonJones said:

Tricky question.

About to be off for a while, but before I go...asking for clarification...

Are they your biological children, her biological children, or both?

Mine and my ex-wife’s children.

1 minute ago, Jane_Doe said:

Are they legally adopted by their step-dad?

No. I give them permission to be sealed though.

When I resigned it absolved our sealing. They have a good family. That’s why I’m giving permission if needed.

Edited by Tyme

36 minutes ago, Tyme said:

Can the kids be sealed to the ex-wife and her husband then at a later date be sealed to me and my future wife?

I suggest you ask your bishop. Are "ex" and "future" the same woman? Are the ex's "husband" and "you" the same person? Were the children born in the covenant? Are the divorce proceedings finalized? Is the new couple to be sealed in the temple?

*looking on tech.lds.org*

Children can be sealed to natural parent (their mom) + stepparent (stepdad), assuming that the other natural parent (you) has given signed permission.  No adoption required, since they are being sealed to at least one natural parent.  

The specifics of this are found in Handbook 1, which her bishop can help with.  

Edited by Jane_Doe

43 minutes ago, Tyme said:

Can the kids be sealed to the ex-wife and her husband then at a later date be sealed to me and my future wife?

From what I understand the children will only be sealed once—to your ex-wife and their stepfather, (and yes, children can be sealed to a stepparent, as long as bio parent gives permission.) The important thing to remember is that even if they are sealed to the stepparent, that will never take away your importance of being their bio parent. You will always be their “dad.”

I commend you for seeing the bigger picture of the importance of your children being sealed. They need this blessing. I believe in the eternities to come your children will be grateful to you and call you “blessed” for allowing them this important blessing. In the long run, it’s the blessing of being sealed that counts, not so much as to whom they are sealed.

Children who are born in the covenant or sealed to parents remain so even if the sealing of the parents is later cancelled. A child cannot be sealed to only 1 parent. Children can be sealed to adopted parents. Also, a child may be sealed only to two parents, a husband and wife.

So, to answer your question fully, no. If they are sealed to the both of you then that sealing will remain for each of you unless you or your wife gave up their right to the initial sealing, and allowed their step-parent to be sealed to the child. This would have to be written permission that you would take to the temple, and it would then be verified...it is never done arbitrarily. The only exception to that is if the child is over 21 and endowed - then they have the choice who to be sealed to if their biological parents are no longer sealed.

(that being said, I would definitely counsel with a member of the Stake and/or Temple presidency before making such a decision)

Edited by scottyg

33 minutes ago, scottyg said:

Children who are born in the covenant or sealed to parents remain so even if the sealing of the parents is later cancelled. A child cannot be sealed to only 1 parent. Children can be sealed to adopted parents. Also, a child may be sealed only to two parents, a husband and wife.

So, to answer your question fully, no. If they are sealed to the both of you then that sealing will remain for each of you unless you or your wife gave up their right to the initial sealing, and allowed their step-parent to be sealed to the child. This would have to be written permission that you would take to the temple, and it would then be verified...it is never done arbitrarily. The only exception to that is if the child is over 21 and endowed - then they have the choice who to be sealed to if their biological parents are no longer sealed.

(that being said, I would definitely counsel with a member of the Stake and/or Temple presidency before making such a decision)

I thought that since I resigned the sealing was absolved. To be honest, I don’t want to spend eternity with my ex-wife.

1 hour ago, Tyme said:

I thought that since I resigned the sealing was absolved. To be honest, I don’t want to spend eternity with my ex-wife.

Your sealing with your ex-wife may be cancelled, but the sealing of children to their parents remains unaffected, even if one leaves the church.

Edited by scottyg
addition

4 minutes ago, scottyg said:

Your sealing with your ex-wife may be cancelled, but the sealing of children to their parents remains unaffected, even if one leaves the church.

Then no I’m not letting them be sealed to their step-dad. My ex-wife is probably going to throw a fit and threaten that I won’t be allowed to see them. I’m not looking forward to telling her. She’s already less than thrilled that I want back in the church. I think I’m going to let her know when i go to my daughters baptism next Saturday. Hopefully the spirit is there in abundance and will calm her and her family down.

4 hours ago, Tyme said:

Then no I’m not letting them be sealed to their step-dad. My ex-wife is probably going to throw a fit and threaten that I won’t be allowed to see them. I’m not looking forward to telling her. She’s already less than thrilled that I want back in the church. I think I’m going to let her know when i go to my daughters baptism next Saturday. Hopefully the spirit is there in abundance and will calm her and her family down.

Call and ask a member of a temple presidency first to make sure but please don't spoil the day with news you know will be unwelcome. I understand your reasoning but it's not worth the long-term consequences. 

2 minutes ago, Manners Matter said:

Call and ask a member of a temple presidency first to make sure but please don't spoil the day with news you know will be unwelcome. I understand your reasoning but it's not worth the long-term consequences. 

Yeah I was concerned about that. I think you’re right.

5 hours ago, Tyme said:

So if I understand correctly, at this moment your children are sealed to you and your ex-wife. And based on what @scottyg stated, your children are still sealed to you both in spite of your resignation. So since your children are already sealed to their parents and cannot be sealed to anyone else, your ex-wife cannot hold that against you since that is just part of your church's policy.

M.

On 11/15/2018 at 3:35 PM, Tyme said:

What @scottyg specified is my understanding of this question.

1) If you and your ex-wife were already sealed children are not sealed again.

2) If a spouse removes all legal rights, and removes their membership, I believe there is lee-way then for the children to be sealed to the family unit where the step-parent adopts the child, and has full custody. I could be wrong, as others have shared speak with those who have keys in this area.