Ten to One

seashmore

I'm back being a temple ordinance worker again!  This week, one of our sessions had a ratio that was 10:1 female:male.

Not even exaggerating or rounding: there were ten women (four were already working there) and one man (also a temple worker who had the assignment of patron that session)

At first, it was hard for me to suppress the giggles.  I managed, and the thought came to me that this is why I'm single; I would not be surprised to learn that the number of temple attending women far surpasses the number of temple attending men.

What time of day was it?

I could understand in some areas if this session was in the middle of the day, perhaps more women were free to go to the temple at that time?

On the otherhand, I also have read that in the Utah areas that worthy single women outnumber worthy single men in a ratio of almost 3 women to every 2 men.  In other areas it's getting on the odds of a 2 women for every 1 man who is worthy of going to the temple.

I suppose this could get worse in other areas (though I haven't read articles pertaining to that).  I think this is a concern in regards to families and the church with those who wish to get married in the Temple.

PS - I have heard that as people get older the differences between the number of worthy single men and worthy single women able to go to the temple increases drastically.  I found an article that paints a rather grim picture.

The number ratios of Single Mormons

The numbers appear compelling. In Utah, he claims, there are now 150 Mormon women for every 100 Mormon men, “a 50 percent oversupply of women,” even though overall, there are actually more men than women in the state.

I also understand that this ratio increases as one gets older so that by the time one is over 45 the ratio is far larger between worthy single women and worthy single men (and if I recall, it was greater than a 10:1 margin at that point).

Edited by JohnsonJones

No idea what the statistics are....but looking round my female heavy ward would generally agree.

However 2 weeks ago I had the exact opposite (Friday night after work so maybe that's the difference) and had 3 sisters and nearly 20 men. Last week was stake session and again more men than women.  Will see what the ratio is tonight and see if there is a pattern emerging.

@JohnsonJones Tuesday 7:30 pm at Winter Quarters. About a month ago, we closed male and female initiatories and sent all the workers on a session because there was no one who showed up for our 6:00 session. 

@KScience curious to see if there is a pattern

@Fether I feel like I see more female patrons in initiatories on the weekends than weeknights. Of course, some of those are doing that while their husbands/youth are doing baptisms.

Just now, seashmore said:

@Fether I feel like I see more female patrons in initiatories on the weekends than weeknights. Of course, some of those are doing that while their husbands/youth are doing baptisms

I do initiatories probably once a month and I have never once in my life seen a woman even in the initiatory room

8 minutes ago, seashmore said:

@JohnsonJones Tuesday 7:30 pm at Winter Quarters. About a month ago, we closed male and female initiatories and sent all the workers on a session because there was no one who showed up for our 6:00 session. 

Interesting.  I know for Youth (so that would also include Young Women leaders) that wards normally either have their Youth activities on Tuesday or Wednesday nights around 7PM.

It could also be a sign that the women in the area are far more invested in the Temple and Temple work?

1 minute ago, Fether said:

Haha I thought it was all temples. Every temple I have ever done initiatories in had separate initiatory rooms for men and women

I thought so too, but your statements had me thinking that perhaps this was just the ones that I recall. 

I did think maybe you were making a joke, but then thought I'd assume that you might not be.