Church Announces Changes to Recommendation Process for Young Missionaries

NeuroTypical

Hot off the presses:

I like it, as it allows more to serve.  Some may have a gut reaction of poo-pooing these stories as "not good enough to serve a real mission", but I disagree.  Almost 10 years ago, we moved from the threefold mission of the church, to having a fourth mission - to care for the poor and needy.  And of course teaching them the gospel and baptizing them is a great way to do it - but that's a general truth for all humankind.  The poor and needy have specific and immediate needs that a regular proselytizing missionary is just ill-equipped to handle, except maybe on p-day or service projects.  These service missionaries will be addressing these needs as their primary focus. 

I also like that they are allowing missionaries sent home for medical reasons to continue their missions as service missionaries. While they have nothing to be ashamed of, I know being able to finish their missions will help a lot of them feel better about being home early by allowing them to continue serving the Lord, and they can fill a vital need at the same time.

Edited by Midwest LDS

• 1 month later...
On 11/16/2018 at 1:34 PM, Midwest LDS said:

I also like that they are allowing missionaries sent home for medical reasons to continue their missions as service missionaries. While they have nothing to be ashamed of,

[ThatoneHPineveryward]Yes those heathens do have plenty to be ashamed of!  If they had any real faith at all, God wouldn't let them get sick![/ThatoneHPineveryward]