Feeling Ridiculously Upset

KScience

Sorry Chaps it's silly o'clock in the morning here in the UK and I need a bit of hand holding; so venting here.

I made the mistake of checking my work emails and found 19 phone messages (we have an online phone service and messages are saved as emails).  Assuming it was a student who was desperately trying to get hold of me I started listening to the first one sent late Friday evening. It was someone who used my name and claimed to have my number from a magazine and started to ask for very graphic sexual services. I hung up as soon as I realised what it was, but got some very explicit language which has left me rather shocked.

The fact that it is 19 messages over the course of 2 days with the last one left less than an hour ago has left me feeling very rattled and upset. In fact I am surprised how much this has upset me and spooked me.

I will obviously contact work on Monday morning and expect this will be dealt with by HR.  

Please feel free to tell me not to be so silly.

What is being done to your is severe sexual harassment -- you SHOULD be upset.  Block the number, and email HR now.  Since this is through work, you have the HR people to help you deal with this horrible behavior.  There are established protocols to deal with this type of behavior, establish consequences, and keep it from happening again (to you or other people).  

Guest MormonGator

Gross. Sorry it happened to you my friend. I'd be irritated as well. Don't let it get you down, let HR take control of it. 

Edited by MormonGator

Thank Chaps,

@Jane_Doe I cant block the number as it has been withheld. But will just not log into emails until Monday and then forward to my line manager and HR.

Wondering where they got my number from. The website for work only gives the number for main reception. I would hate to think that a student would put my number somewhere unsavoury.

Just now, KScience said:

Thank Chaps,

@Jane_Doe I cant block the number as it has been withheld. But will just not log into emails until Monday and then forward to my line manager and HR.

Wondering where they got my number from. The website for work only gives the number for main reception. I would hate to think that a student would put my number somewhere unsavoury.

That's a mystery for HR to deal with-- you don't have to.  Just hand the whole mess over to them: this type of stuff is literally part of their job and they are much better equipped to deal with it than you.  

@KScience. You are not being silly. This is a big deal. Document everything. Times and dates. Call HR first thing Monday morning. Send an email subsequent to the phone call. CC your superior.

Document everything. Follow up midweek. HR should know that you take this matter very seriously. Cc your superior on everything. Keep on top of this. 

Fascinating this is an HR issue for all of you.  Unless the messages are obviously from an employee, this would be an IT issue where I work - contact IT, tell them what happened, and IT would block the number from all our numbers - they may, depending on details, do more than that.

As for how someone outside got your number - robocalling, possibly deducing all the numbers that use the same exchange.  This is neither difficult nor surprising.  If I know that 801-123-4567 is a valid number, then it's not far-fetched to think that all 801-123-4###s are also valid and potentially at the same company.

You are not silly.

@zil is right that these usually gets filtered out by IT before it hits your mailbox.  But sometimes they do miss some and will have to rely on employees reporting the missed messages to adjust the filters.  I suggest to send the whole kit and kaboodle to HR and IT just like zil said.

Thanks everyone for your support.

Attitude at work very different and line manager IT & HR don't understand why I am so upset. My number has been frozen so all calls now have to go through main reception and I have to inform police (tried this morning but cut off after 45 mins on hold).

2 hours ago, KScience said:

Thanks everyone for your support.

Attitude at work very different and line manager IT & HR don't understand why I am so upset. My number has been frozen so all calls now have to go through main reception and I have to inform police (tried this morning but cut off after 45 mins on hold).

They want you to be ok with sexual harassment on work premises (your phone is an extension of work)??????

It is ok to be shocked into an upset tizzy by such things.  

Many in the world disagree, including the folks you're talking to at work apparently.  They are the poorer for whatever they have lost from their souls, to react so blandly. 

But we know better.

Edited by NeuroTypical