Military Spending

Tyme

For what purpose?

Okay, let's do that same thing with Environmental Protection too.  Let's spend a maximum of double the amount of the next country in line.  How about the State of Illinois can only spend no more than double the amount of the next State in line on their Law Enforcement? 

Do you want that $ per capita or $ per square kilometer?  Will the next country in line have a limitation of spending only a maximum of double the amount of the country 3rd in line and so on and so forth?

Anyway, this is stupid.  If you want to win all wars, you have to be able to have a military so well resourced as to win the war even if ALL OTHER NATIONS fight you all at the same time.

17 minutes ago, Midwest LDS said:

Nay. I'd agree that's a good idea as soon as every other country on Earth disarms before us and we can verify it.

Even that doesn't make it a good idea.  To give up your sovereignty to another is irresponsible at best; it is to willfully enter into slavery, to shed your agency like a snake sheds its skin, but without any benefit to doing so.

9 minutes ago, zil said:

Even that doesn't make it a good idea.  To give up your sovereignty to another is irresponsible at best; it is to willfully enter into slavery, to shed your agency like a snake sheds its skin, but without any benefit to doing so.

Oh I agree. My example was set in a utopian age that I can only imagine happening when Christ comes again. Basically until then I always want to outspend the other two combined.

Edited by Midwest LDS

Just now, Midwest LDS said:

Basically until then I always want to outspend the other two combined.

IMO, it's not about outspending, it's about letting another decide your spending (even indirectly).  If such an agreement were entered into, it would be used to control and leverage the other party - that is a form of giving up one's sovereignty - at that point, one is not, by definition, a sovereign nation, but a colony, a subject state.

NOTE: I'm commenting on the whole thread more than just your post, FYI.  Of course, when Christ comes, there will be no need for such silliness, and until then, it would be foolish to give up our sovereignty.

My limited understanding is that the Pentagon just had its first audit in a very long time (ever?), and didn’t do so well.  Before we put arbitrary defense spending caps in place, I think we need a clear-headed idea of where the money’s actually going.  

Conceptually, I think the two-war doctrine is a good starting point; and I think our defense spending needs to be at least enough to support that doctrine—whatever the final amount may be.  

4 minutes ago, Vort said:

I can't keep up with the hepcat phraseology today's whippersnappers are using. It's all phat, dig?

That's like... not even.

"I've got news for you. I'm down, I've got the 411, and you are not going out and getting jiggy with some boy, I don't care how dope his ride is. Mamma didn't raise no fool."

How about this. If there were no borders, then we would have no need for a military! I’m not arguing for open boarders, but rather expanding our boarders. 

Right now America is this.

F58A2637-3F71-4A68-8A43-5A9A843B7E0E.jpeg

Why can’t it be this?

513923A1-00C8-411C-9881-CF08BA2122F1.jpeg

PROS:

1) No more illegal immigration

2) No more war

3) We will get to use the whole of our $50,000,000,000,000+ worth of military goods all in on decade to fully expand the boarders

4) drastically cut military spending for the future

5) Everyone is a shotgun weilding patriotic American driving a truck

CONS:

1) None

Edited by Fether

6 minutes ago, Fether said:

How about this. If there were no borders, then we would have no need for a military! I’m not arguing for open boarders, but rather expanding our boarders. 

Right now America is this.

F58A2637-3F71-4A68-8A43-5A9A843B7E0E.jpeg

Why can’t it be this?

513923A1-00C8-411C-9881-CF08BA2122F1.jpeg

PROS:

1) No more illegal immigration

2) No more war

3) We will get to use the whole of our $50,000,000,000,000+ worth of military goods all in on decade to fully expand the boarders

4) drastically cut military spending for the future

5) Everyone is a shotgun weilding patriotic American driving a truck

CONS:

1) None

I'm all for a North American Union. Then possibly expand it over time.

I'm going to show my inhumane side a bit here. When the U.S. first created the nuclear bomb why didn't we take over the world? It would be a much better and peaceful world right now.

1 minute ago, Tyme said:

I'm going to show my inhumane side a bit here. When the U.S. first created the nuclear bomb why didn't we take over the world? It would be a much better and peaceful world right now.

Because at the time we had a lily-livered, hippie-dippy, panty-waist Democrat as President; natch.  

Incidentaly, Truman won in ‘48 by telling people that the Republican candidate (Thomas Dewey) was a fascist.

6 minutes ago, Tyme said:

I'm all for a North American Union. Then possibly expand it over time.

You know why Canada and Mexico did not become US States?  For a very simple reason.  They did not want to.  They fought wars with the US to retain sovereignty.

What makes the USA great is their unique culture forged by their history to have utmost respect for LIBERTY.  Unless you forge the same culture to immigrants joining in the American Experiment, the greatness of the USA will, eventually, be LOST.  Therefore, it is to the preservation of US exceptionalism to make the USA a much harder process to become American.  Puerto Rico, for example, should not become a US State.

Edited by anatess2

Just now, anatess2 said:

You know why Canada and Mexico did not become US States?  For a very simple reason.  They did not want to.  They fought wars with the US to retain sovereignty.

What makes the USA great is their unique culture forged by their history to have utmost respect for LIBERTY.  Unless you forge the same culture to immigrants joining in the American Experiment, the greatness of the USA will, eventually, be LOST.

Have you ever been to a citizenship ceremony? They are more patriotic than most Americans I know.

4 minutes ago, Tyme said:

Have you ever been to a citizenship ceremony? They are more patriotic than most Americans I know.

I am Filipino.  I am more American-patriotic than a lot of Americans.  My mother went through the citizenship ceremony.  We had a party.  It took her 5 years to become one plus 3 months studying for the test.  She knows a lot more about American Government than Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez who got elected to Congress.  Alexandria, of course, wants to take in all those people in the caravan waving foreign flags and burning the American one and make them Americans.

Edited by anatess2

8 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Because at the time we had a lily-livered, hippie-dippy, panty-waist Democrat as President; natch.  

Sometimes your legal terminology is unintelligible to the lay person.