Mission Advice

sportsfan101

Okay, so I'm preparing to serve a mission. I'm a 20 year old female. I'm reading and praying and fasting more that I ever have in my life, but I still have some questions. They aren't really questions that can be answered by a book either... It's mostly LDS "common knowledge" but because no one is endowed in my family and obviously no one has served a mission I have a few questions.

1. How soon before you are 19/21 can you put your papers in?

2. How soon after you put in your papers can you expect your call?

3. How long is it between your call and when you leave?

4. How soon can you recieve your endowments? Before your papers/call?

5. If you could go back and prepare to serve again, what would you do differently?

6. If you could go back and serve again, what would you do differently?

7. What would you take with you that you didn't?

8. What would you have left home that you took with you?

Okay, so I'm preparing to serve a mission. I'm a 20 year old female. I'm reading and praying and fasting more that I ever have in my life, but I still have some questions. They aren't really questions that can be answered by a book either... It's mostly LDS "common knowledge" but because no one is endowed in my family and obviously no one has served a mission I have a few questions.

5. If you could go back and prepare to serve again, what would you do differently?

Since Pushka pushed:

1. You can put them in anytime. I put mine in a good 5 months before I was available. One sister serving in our branch right now put hers in about 2 months before she reported.

2. Again, that varies. See above. My call came about 3 months after I submitted, but I had said I wasn't available until at least 4.5 months later because I was in school.

3. Some take a couple of weeks, some a couple of months.

4. Once you receive your call, you can receive your endowments. It is highly recommended that you wait on taking out your endowments until you are in your mid-20s if you don't have marriage/mission plans.

5. Study more of the scriptures, gain a greater/stronger testimony, and be more humble.

6. Work even harder. It is only 2 years, and it affects the rest of your life. I still see myself as 19-21 and see/feel/sense things that happened on my mission like it was yesterday. I don't dwell on it, but it truly affects your life (and let's just leave it at my mission was over a long LONG time ago).

7. More church books to read. I love to read, and let's face it, as much as I love the scriptures, I can't read them hours on end.

8. Didn't take much I couldn't use, so nothing.

go talk with your Bishop and let him answer these questions for you......he will enjoy chatting with you about these things....

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Username-Removed

Ok, its been over 20 years since I served my mission so let me take a stab at a few of these ....

... 5. If you could go back and prepare to serve again, what would you do differently?

Well I went to seminary, and I was pretty spiritual for my age. What would I do differently? I dont have any regrets at all. But, at the same time, for me, I was too much the missionary. I mean I got up at 5am, studied my brains out, and didnt get back from tracting until 10pm at night - yep, No lunch break! I learned to loosen up at the end of my mission a bit. So, my advice, follow the guidelines for your work and study schedule as directed by your mission. Use that as your gauge. Other advice, well .... I'm a convert, and had a dad, who really wasnt that great, and was not a member. So, I naturally had a distrust for any father figure, even a mission president. It wasnt until the end of my mission that I learned that I could trust authority in the church. I had an incredible mission president that was a retired 4 star general in the air force. I had the honor and privelege of serving him in the office. I think the best advice is be ready to learn whatever you need to learn. Heavanly father knows you better than you .... take the hard moments and learn from them. Once you understand that, you'll understand the purpose of your mission, and your life. Its not always about being totally ready, although you should be as ready as you can. Sometimes its how you deal with not being ready for something. In other words, learning to trust the Lord, the Spirit, and leaders of the church.

<div class='quotemain'>

Ok, its been over 20 years since I served my mission so let me take a stab at a few of these ....

... 5. If you could go back and prepare to serve again, what would you do differently?

Well I went to seminary, and I was pretty spiritual for my age. What would I do differently? I dont have any regrets at all. But, at the same time, for me, I was too much the missionary. I mean I got up at 5am, studied my brains out, and didnt get back from tracting until 10pm at night - yep, No lunch break! I learned to loosen up at the end of my mission a bit. So, my advice, follow the guidelines for your work and study schedule as directed by your mission. Use that as your gauge. Other advice, well .... I'm a convert, and had a dad, who really wasnt that great, and was not a member. So, I naturally had a distrust for any father figure, even a mission president. It wasnt until the end of my mission that I learned that I could trust authority in the church. I had an incredible mission president that was a retired 4 star general in the air force. I had the honor and privelege of serving him in the office. I think the best advice is be ready to learn whatever you need to learn. Heavanly father knows you better than you .... take the hard moments and learn from them. Once you understand that, you'll understand the purpose of your mission, and your life. Its not always about being totally ready, although you should be as ready as you can. Sometimes its how you deal with not being ready for something. In other words, learning to trust the Lord, the Spirit, and leaders of the church.

WORDFLOOD!!!!!! So awesome to see you back posting here again. I've missed you!!!!!

Guest Username-Removed

Lets see if I can tackle a few more ....

Im glad I took a decent camera. A good set of durable scriptures is good. You might get a copy of the discussions and learn at least the concepts behind each one before you go. Dont bring anything too expensive - like watches or things like that. You'll just lose them or someone will steal them and it will just ruin your day! Learning the culture of where you are going is important. Really, there isnt a lot that you need besides clothes, suitcases, scriptures and other missionary material. I like photography, and on P day I used that love to photograph the mission and the people where I was serving. I think it helped me bond with my mission better. I think developing a very close spiritual relationship with Heavanly Father is important. If you dont have it now, learn how to gain it by studying, fasting and praying. Once you are in tune, that communications will become an important tool and asset when talking with and teaching others. Like I said earlier, It took me a while, but I eventually learned that I could have some fun and be an great missionary. The last full day of my mission we had 4 of us getting ready to go home the next day. President let us use the office car - gave me the keys, and said, "you have unlimited mileage, take the other elders anywhere you like today".... that was awesome! Gosh I miss President. If he's still alive he would be like 80 years old or something.

Have you had an interview with your Bishop yet? All things flow from there.

The application process is on-line now and is quite long, with the medical reports and all. Your Bishop will help you get your application process started. You can get an idea of what it will involve at:

https://apps.lds.org/recentry/start.lds

And by the way, congratulations and I know that you will do well. I have met newly called missionaries receiving their endowments in the Houston Temple who were going on the the Missionary Training Center the next day, so from that I assume the endowment is done shortly before going to the MTC. Your situation may be different.