Romaine Lettuce e coli again!

Lindy

Just heard this on news- did a little checking - CDC and FDA have both asked that you do not eat ANY romaine lettuce until they have more info. Already 11 US states and Canada have problems.

https://www.cdc.gov/ecoli/2018/o157h7-11-18/index.html

I don't want to see anyone get sick.... or worse.

3 hours ago, Lindy said:

Just heard this on news- did a little checking - CDC and FDA have both asked that you do not eat ANY romaine lettuce until they have more info. Already 11 US states and Canada have problems.

https://www.cdc.gov/ecoli/2018/o157h7-11-18/index.html

I don't want to see anyone get sick.... or worse.

Just place a heavy dose of vinegar and oil over it.  Both are disinfectants that are effective against e coli.  And they are harmless to humans.

Since bagged salad first was available to restaurants, I have ALWAYS rinsed them with vinegar then, and now with a bottled fruit/vegetable wash that is gmo free AND organic. Why? Because the restaurant where I worked didn't READ the packaging where it stated to "Wash thoroughly before serving". ALL of the lunch and dinner patrons who ate salads got sick. Like in the worst kind of diarrhea. Foaming - explosive kind, that landed most in the ER. I was one of them!

That was back in the 80's. I much prefer the bagged salads - and I always wash [soak in a bowl that is three to four times too big so that all the greens are covered] with the fruit/vegetable cleaner for a minimum of 15 minutes and no longer than 1 hour. Pour into a large colander, then transfer to a salad spinner and spin while running cold water through it. Then I spin it as dry as I can. I then dump onto a 100% cotton woven towel and pat as dry as I can get it before re-bagging into a 1.5 gallon zip bag. The least amount of water left will cause the leaves to wilt and turn into slime.

I do the same with bagged [or in those plastic clam shells] baby spinach. IF the spinach or salad comes in a plastic clam shell - then I wash the inside of the shell with the solution, rinse and wipe dry with paper towels.

I don't normally purchase romaine, as we prefer the other variety of salad greens. I also don't get iceberg. Hate that variety. 

NOW- I think that e-coli is spread not only by poor sanitation but also because human body waste is in the irrigation water, and the plants take it up through the roots and also from surface watering. THAT is my thoughts and beliefs - not from any scientific documents.