Coming Out of the Closet

Word Chasing

Hey All!

Guess What! I came out of the closet as a Book of Mormon/Joseph Smith supporter.... I think it would have been better of I had come at as lesbian or something... People are afraid of you all for some stupid reason... I don't quite get it... They don't even want to look at what the Book of Mormon teaches... it's the other gospel they cry.... Hogwash!

It highlights prophesy in the Bible...

I'm not Mormon, but you all have something the rest of us really need to pay attention to...  We seriously need to get over ourselves and talk to you all....  I am a protestant chaplain, retired from work but not from ministry or salvation.  Nice to meet you all.

Hi Word Chasing - welcome!

I totally agree with you.  One of my favorite stories:

Wife had a friend.  One day she found out we were Mormon, and she actually ducked her head and took some steps backwards as if she expected us to attack her or something.  My wife didn't know what to make of it.  Anyway, friend also did petsitting and was taking care of our dogs.  When we got back, friend was very nervous - apparently one of our dogs had gotten out and run around the neighborhood for a few hours, before finally getting caught.  Friend was worried we'd be mad.  My wife got a very serious look on her face, and said "Well, I'm glad you caught her, because it's against our religion for you to lose our dog."  The friend looked sad and anxious for a full three seconds - then it finally dawned on her and she finally laughed and relaxed. 

8 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Hi Word Chasing - welcome!

I totally agree with you.  One of my favorite stories:

That's funny.  Just the other day I was with a group in which someone asked for testimonies to share with a searching friend.  I mentioned that my testimony confirmed to me the unquestioning willingness for Heavenly Father to put people in your path when you need them.  One guy asked me to share it, so I agreed.  I started with "Well when I was investigating the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints...."  He interrupted and says "I don't mean to be insulting, but is that the Mormon Church?"  I confirmed it was and he decided he didn't want to hear it anymore.  Nope.  Not insulting at all.  It made me chuckle, though.

1 hour ago, Word Chasing said:

Hey All!

Guess What! I came out of the closet as a Book of Mormon/Joseph Smith supporter.... I think it would have been better of I had come at as lesbian or something... People are afraid of you all for some stupid reason... I don't quite get it... They don't even want to look at what the Book of Mormon teaches... it's the other gospel they cry.... Hogwash!

It highlights prophesy in the Bible...

I'm not Mormon, but you all have something the rest of us really need to pay attention to...  We seriously need to get over ourselves and talk to you all....  I am a protestant chaplain, retired from work but not from ministry or salvation.  Nice to meet you all.

Welcome @Word Chasing Good of you to have an open mind and consider what so many find special about the LDS church.  I'm sure as a protestant chaplain you have a lot of valuable insight and your perspective would be appreciated here as you share and learn about Mormonism.

Welcome, @Word Chasing!

As long as we're sharing funny stories about interactions between Latter-day Saints and others, I'll repeat this one (my funniest)...

When my two brothers and I were teenagers, none of us wanted to get out of bed first to shower and get ready for school.  There was sufficient complaining that Dad created a schedule for us, and jokingly titled it "The Law of Moses Shower Schedule".  He hung it on the bulletin board in the kitchen.

Some time after this, we took a family trip and an unmarried (member) friend of my parents stayed at our house to watch the dog.  During her stay, she had a date with a non-member, who came to the house for dinner.  While she was fixing dinner, he glanced around the kitchen and came to the bulletin board.  When he saw "The Law of Moses Shower Schedule", he asked her, with a slightly disturbed look on is face, just what it was these Mormons did in the shower. :lol:

8 minutes ago, zil said:

Makes it easier to be "long-suffering".  Of course, go too far, and the horns come out.  (Didn't know they were retractable, did you!?)

Discovered that with Salt Lake City.....  We've had agreements and disagreements..... Hanging up the phone works well.... mid sentence of course..... keeps people happy....  

I like to ask hard theological questions... sometimes people are prepared to answer them and sometimes they are not prepared.  It depends on the person. When you point out inconsistencies between a person's theology and what the books actually say, well, it makes for an uncomfortable conversation, but it's all done in love. 

Edited by Word Chasing
Clear up confusion

Lehi stays on the path and has a snack off of the Tree of Life...... Jesus Christ said, I am The Way, The Truth and The Life, no one comes to The Father except through me.... (John 14:6). Narrow Path....Narrow Gate....etc..... The rod represents the law of The Father..... 

The key to Lehi;s vision is simple faith, and staying on the narrow path.... simple....right? Not really.....

Edited by Word Chasing

29 minutes ago, Word Chasing said:

I like to ask hard theological questions... sometimes people are prepared to answer them and sometimes they are not prepared.  It depends on the person. When you point out inconsistencies between a person's theology and what the books actually say, well, it makes for an uncomfortable conversation, but it's all done in love. 

Are you saying you think Mormon theology has inconsistencies?  If so, you're free to ask any questions you might have. A lot of good resources and discussions are on this website. 

6 minutes ago, Word Chasing said:

Let me give you an example....

1 Nephi 8 (Lehi's Vision).... What don't you see Lehi do, but it is a major theology for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints?

Not sure what the question is here.

Just now, clbent04 said:

Are you saying you think Mormon theology has inconsistencies?  If so, you're free to ask any questions you might have. A lot of good resources and discussions are on this website. 

Not sure what the question is here.

What didn't Lehi do?  

1 minute ago, Word Chasing said:

In effect.... Who says hold onto the iron rod in the Book of Mormon, Doctrines and Covenants or the Bible? I don't see it there.... 

Understand?

Oh okay. That makes more sense. God tells us to do that.  Maybe I can look up the passage one sec

4 minutes ago, Word Chasing said:

In effect.... Who says hold onto the iron rod in the Book of Mormon, Doctrines and Covenants or the Bible? I don't see it there.... 

Understand?

Lehi was given a vision from the Lord about the iron rod. Do you believe God can send us messages in our dreams? I haven't had any, but I know others who have