Coming Out of the Closet

Word Chasing

Father's side....really great grandfather type thing....along with law man William Tilghman.... on my mother's side.... Hung out with the Earp's and Bat Masterson...etc......

Mother's lines....  through my maternal side

Edited by Word Chasing

1 minute ago, Word Chasing said:

Grandfather....along with law man William Tilghman.... on my mother's side.... Hung out with the Earp's and Bat Masterson......

Well, if that's true, that's awesome. But I'd make the same request Donald Trump made to Obama. I'd have to see a birth certificate first though before believing it. Gotta remain skeptic with who you meet on the internet these days. You ever seen that show Catfish?

Not a problem....

I respect your point of view.

It is good to be skeptical; especially, of religious organizations...

Just because I believe in the Book of Mormon, Joseph Smith and the Doctrines and Covenants..... does not make me Mormon....Understand?

Edited by Word Chasing

Just now, Word Chasing said:

Not a problem....

I respect your point of view.

As far as any deeper theology discussions you'd like to have, feel free to post topics on anything you might be wondering about the Mormon religion. I'm Mormon, born and raised, and even I will ask a lot of questions on here about things I don't fully understand.  A lot of good people on this website who are here to help.  

43 minutes ago, dogwater said:

Coworker pieces together that I am LDS.

"But you're so normal!" she says.

Reminds me of people I've met who ask me if I'm Mormon not based on anything out of the ordinary.

I ask someone how's it going, and the response is, "that's nice of you to ask, are you Mormon?"

Or someone you've never met says "you look like a Mormon."  Just a weird thing to say.  Last time I checked I don't part my hair and wear a white dress shirt with a tie everywhere I go.

Not sure if this has happened anywhere else, but I'm convinced 1 out of 100 people suspect everyone in this world is Mormon.  

Edited by clbent04

Welcome @Word Chasing It is refreshing to have a non-LDS but open minded regarding the LDS faith person join our forum. You mention you have read The Book of Mormon and the Doctrine & Covenants, have you also read the Pearl of Great Price? https://www.lds.org/scriptures/pgp?lang=eng

My oldest brother started going to the LDS church to join their scout troop. After my brother started going to scouts at the LDS church, which was held on Wednesday night - - the same night as the girls his age group attended Mutual. Well that got his attention. He wanted to see more of these girls so he started attending on Sunday's. I am 8 years younger than him, and I idolized him and wanted to do everything he did. Like go fishing, playing ball, riding bicycles. My parents felt that going to church with him was a lot safer than trying to keep up with him and his buddies on a bicycle.

It took the LDS Missionaries just under a year teaching him before he got baptized. He was 17.

I was 14 when I got baptized. I have never read the Book of Mormon, cover to cover. Not even when challenged by several Prophets, Young Women leaders, Bishops, Stake Presidents, etc. I try, but just can't seem to stick to it. Doesn't change my testimony of the truthfulness of what is contained in it. I haven't read the entire D&C either. Doesn't change my testimony of the truthfulness contained in it either. Haven't read the Bible cover to cover either, doesn't change my testimony of the truthfulness contained in it either. It wasn't until I was 47 years old that I even knew the Pearl of Great Price even existed. I had gone to the Portland, OR Temple with the Branch members to do baptisms for the dead with the Young Women, and as I was walking out of Deseret Book I was handed the book - free. On the drive home, sitting in the back sear of my best friends car I read the entire book. Cover to cover. Fascinating!

Just now, zil said:

Where he was sorely disappointed because on Sunday, they were even more modestly dressed.  Nonetheless, hope endures, and he continued hanging out with the religious folk...

(Teasing!)

Oh, you are so correct though! He left the church shortly after being refused the Melchizedek Priesthood. You work and earn an income, you pay tithing. He refused to pay tithing. AND he got bored with the very modest young women. They wouldn't even play kissing games [rolling eyes]. Every one of them - in our ward, in our Stake even - had a moral compass that they fervently adhered to.

Don't get me wrong, I love my brother, but even at the young age of 16 I acknowledged that he was shallow, selfish and had a LOT more growing up/maturing to do. He did - but all of us girls in the family (I am one of five) far surpassed him by the time he was 30 and a father for the first time. Us girls are all younger ~ 1 to 14 years younger. Fortunately for his two children, fatherhood brought a change in him. A good change. He put the NEEDS of his family first, over his wants. Let me also add that his wife worked full time. The children were sent to babysitters and day care. They were latch-key children. BUT my brother worked 8-5 and not on week-ends. All of his free time was spent with his children.

Once, long ago, when the mountains were young and the world was new, I was an auto mechanic, working at a Nissan dealership.

One day, I was working on a car and I noticed a copy of the Book of Mormon sitting in the center console.  As it happens, the owner was making his way into the shop to see how the repair was going.  When he came up to me, I answered his questions about the car but then asked him what ward he was in....

Me: So I was wondering what ward you're in. 

Him:  Huh?

Me:  What ward.. you know... I saw the Book of Mormon in your car and was wondering what ward you're in. 

Him: Oh, I'm not a Mormon.

Me: Ok...

Him:  I just have it there because I like to show people the errors.  Why, are you a Mormon?

Me:  Yep.

Him: Well you know, that's a cult.  Here's why....

And off he went, preaching to me about my hellbound ways.  Right there, in a busy auto shop. 

:huh:

On 11/24/2018 at 7:45 AM, Word Chasing said:

Thank you all for the kind welcome!  

I look forward to our future discussions...

Blessings

Hiya!

Not sure if you met our resident Protestant chaplain yet... @prisonchaplain.  We've been trying to get him to convert but he's holding on to his own iron rod, hah hah.

So, my story... I was die-hard Catholic when I married my inactive Mormon husband.  He started being more active in his church after we got married and it started with weekly basketball.  I thought Mormons were weird (my in-laws are very weird) until I went to basketball.  I don't know how they avoided an all out brawl it was eye-popping to see these men fight over any foul call (they didn't have a referee).  There was this one that usually started each argument.  Then this giant of a guy drove into my husband getting him all bloodied, they ended up in a shouting match... anyway, I decided to attend church with my husband that Sunday, saw all the men from basketball including the giant guy who, all of a sudden, transformed into a Teddy Bear kinda guy talking ever so reverently.  And the argumentative guy?  He's in the bishopric and conducted the meeting, he was so sweet and kind and reverent.  My mind was so boggled.

3 hours ago, anatess2 said:

There was this one that usually started each argument.  Then this giant of a guy drove into my husband getting him all bloodied, they ended up in a shouting match... anyway, I decided to attend church with my husband that Sunday, saw all the men from basketball including the giant guy who, all of a sudden, transformed into a Teddy Bear kinda guy talking ever so reverently.  And the argumentative guy?  He's in the bishopric and conducted the meeting, he was so sweet and kind and reverent.  My mind was so boggled.

I play ball at a church nearby and a bishop from another ward is always there. One day, this kid from the bishop’s wars showsbup to play. He wasn’t all that great but we didn’t mind (we are an incredibly tame church ball group in all honesty).

At one point the other team made a fast break to the hoop. It was their two biggest and most talented guys charging at the hoop and the only one there to block it was this kid. Now I don’t think anyone regardless of skill level could have stopped this drive. The two guys scored and the bishop started yelling at the kid for not stopping them. I busted up laughing and we joke about it all the time when the bishop isn’t there xD