Questions About President Nelson

Just now, zil said:

No, that would be turning something into logic (e.g. taking a flawed argument and adjusting it until it's logical), not using logic to figure something out (aka deduction, reasoning).

This is beginning to sound very meta.

43 minutes ago, Fether said:
1 hour ago, NeuroTypical said:

CoJCoLDS

CoJCoLdS*

25 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

My gosh you're right.  And here I've been so righteously correcting people about that lower-case d for decades...

Pride goeth before the fall.

Not really. Two different things at play here. "CoJCoLDS" uses "title case", where principal words, including initial words, get capitalized and prepositions (and conjunctions, and articles) are made lower-case. This is in keeping with "LDS" as the appropriate initialism for "Latter-day Saints". However, when spelled out, "Latter-day" is considered a single hyphenated word for purposes of capitalization. So while "Latter-day Saint" is correct for the name of the Church, I would argue that "LDS" is correct and "LdS" wrong for an initialism referring to the Saints.

tl;dr—"Latter-day Saint" and "LDS" are both correct, while "LdS" (and Latter-Day Saint) are incorrect.

2 minutes ago, Vort said:

This is in keeping with "LDS" as the appropriate initialism for "Latter-day Saints".

It's strange that when the correct word is used so infrequently that it actually sounds awkward.  But of course, that's what it is.

2 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

This is beginning to sound very meta.

Well, think about real verbs that end in "ify": justify, diversify, simplify.  They all mean to make something into what the first part of the word means.

But for many nouns, you just add the verb ending (or change which syllable is stressed) and voila, it's a verb - act > acting, treat > treating, logic > logicking (even if the k makes me gag).

Logify or logicify would be perfectly good verbs to describe the act of making something logical, just not the act of using logic.

Just now, zil said:

Well, think about real verbs that end in "ify": justify, diversify, simplify.  They all mean to make something into what the first part of the word means.

But for many nouns, you just add the verb ending (or change which syllable is stressed) and voila, it's a verb - act > acting, treat > treating, logic > logicking (even if the k makes me gag).

Logify or logicify would be perfectly good verbs to describe the act of making something logical, just not the act of using logic.

My comment about meta was that as you were explaining why my usage was incorrect, I began realizing that you were actually logic-ifying.   Yup, logic-ifying "logic-ify".  Hence ... meta.

Just now, Vort said:

S-O-C-K-S. Look! I speak Spanish!

Hah!!!

Funny story.  Since I was almost completely self-taught in Spanish, I was never taught this mnemonic device.  I heard it years later from a girlfriend of mine who wanted to impress me when she learned I spoke Spanish.

She also taught me "Stand on a chair and see a loose light."

49 minutes ago, Vort said:

Not really. Two different things at play here. "CoJCoLDS" uses "title case", where principal words, including initial words, get capitalized and prepositions (and conjunctions, and articles) are made lower-case. This is in keeping with "LDS" as the appropriate initialism for "Latter-day Saints". However, when spelled out, "Latter-day" is considered a single hyphenated word for purposes of capitalization. So while "Latter-day Saint" is correct for the name of the Church, I would argue that "LDS" is correct and "LdS" wrong for an initialism referring to the Saints.

tl;dr—"Latter-day Saint" and "LDS" are both correct, while "LdS" (and Latter-Day Saint) are incorrect.

Admittedly I didn’t understand much of that, but would CoJCoLS be more accurate?

10 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Ok then.  Well, I thought I was wrong once, but apparently I was mistaken.  

[psssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssttttttt]

[That's the sound of my ego inflating.]

...actually, no. Sorry, NT. The "d" should indeed be lower-case for the phrase "Latter-day Saint" and the name "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints". Only when used as part of the "LDS" initialism is it correctly capitalized.

21 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Ok then.  Well, I thought I was wrong once, but apparently I was mistaken.  

FWIW, I like the lower-case d in the "initialism" - even if it is "wrong".  I mean, everyone over on FPN abbreviates Caran d'Ache as CdA, so why not LdS?

6 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

<Hello, my name is Baymax, your personal healthcare companion.>

19 hours ago, Fether said:

CoJCoLdS*

As per a correction in another thread shouldn't this actually be

TCoJCoLdS (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints...don't forget "The")

However...when looking at it that Latter-day is a Hyphenated word...thus LDS should actually be LS...OR we could even say...

LSD (as in Latter-day Saints Defined...) :P

It would even be

TCoJCoLS

These abbreviation things get complicated...

Edited by JohnsonJones