Strangite Mormons

Morgaine

3 minutes ago, Morgaine said:

I just recently heard of the Strangite LDS Church, and was told it was a cult. What are all of your thoughts on them? Officially they call themselves The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Strangite). 

There are/were quite a few break off groups. Only the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Aaints, Community of Christ, and FLDS are worth mentioning. 

3 minutes ago, Morgaine said:

No not at all. Just opinions on what they believe, the history, compare/contrast, etc. 

If you're curious the Wikipedia article is pretty thorough: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_Jesus_Christ_of_Latter_Day_Saints_(Strangite)

Stangite's are really rare, so I've never interviewed one personally.  

As to my opinion: they are just another breakaway apostate group.  No particular strong feelings about them.  

7 minutes ago, Morgaine said:

No not at all. Just opinions on what they believe, the history, compare/contrast, etc. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_Jesus_Christ_of_Latter_Day_Saints_(Strangite)

Ah... @Jane_Doe beat me to it.

Edited by The Folk Prophet

5 hours ago, Morgaine said:

Their official website is: https://www.ldsstrangite.com/

Half of it is password protected, but you can learn more about them there.

Edited by NeedleinA

From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_Jesus_Christ_of_Latter_Day_Saints_(Strangite)

Seriously, this is where they are more than STRANGE and to me is enough proof that they are NOT LDS.

Monarchy and priesthood

One distinctive difference between Strangites and other Latter Day Saints concerns the singular subdivisions Strang makes within the Melchizedek priesthood—which his Book of the Law refers to as "The Priesthood of an endless life"—and the Aaronic priesthood, referred to as "the Priesthood of life."[26]

In the Melchizedek priesthood, Strang enumerates two "orders," that of "Apostles," and that of "Priests."[26]

Apostles are subdivided into four "degrees":

• The Prophet/President of the Strangite church is openly referred to throughout the book as a "King," rather than as a "President".[27]
  • The President's Counselors are designated as "Viceroys." Viceroys are referred to as "kings," too, though this does not indicate a share in the unique royal dignity accorded to the President/King.[28]
  • Strang's Twelve Apostles are named as "Princes in his Kingdom forever."[29] The leader of Strang's Apostles is designated as "Prince and Grand Master of the Seventies."[30]
  • A quorum of "Evangelists" (not to be confused with the office of Patriarch) is established, to be Apostles to a single "nation, kindred, tongue or people"—unlike the Twelve, who were sent to all nations. Seven Evangelists form a quorum, and Strang noted that such a body had never been organized "in this dispensation"[31] (and nor did Strang organize one). This is a unique priesthood office in the Latter Day Saint movement.

Priests are subdivided into two "degrees":

• High Priests are to include "all inferiour Kings, Patriarchs, or heads of tribes, and Nobles, or heads of clans." [32] Furthermore, Strang continued, "They who hold it are called Sons of God."[33] From this group, said the Book of the Law, the king is to select "counsellors, judges and rulers."[33] Furthermore, the Book of the Law limits consecration of the Eucharist to High Priests and Apostles,[34] as opposed to other Latter Day Saint sects, who follow the Doctrine and Covenants in permitting Elders and Priests also to do so.
  • The "degree" of Elder includes both the offices of Seventy and Elder as generally constituted in Smith's church.[35]

In the Aaronic priesthood, Strang enumerates three "orders":[36]

• Priests are subdivided into two "courses": Sacrificators and Singers. The course of Singers is opened to women. Each temple is to have a Chief Priest, assisted by a first and second High Priest.[37] Strangite "Sacrificators" are to kill sacrifices in accordance with appropriate provisions of the Book of the Law. Female priests are specifically barred from killing sacrifices.[38] The Doctrine and Covenants functions of preaching and baptizing are retained as well.[38]
  • Teachers are subdivided into five "degrees": Rabboni, Rabbi, Doctor, Ruler, and Teacher.[39] This office, like that of Priest, is open to women. Teachers are not merely to instruct in spiritual matters, but in secular ones as well.[40] They are to staff schools throughout the kingdom.[41]
  • Deacons are subdivided into three "degrees": Marshals, Stewards and Ministers.[39] They are to serve as "Stewards and keepers of the King's prisons, and Stewards of the King's Courts."[42]

In addition, a "King's Council" and a "King's Court" are established, though none function within the Strangite church today.[43] While no direct link is made between the King's Court and the "High Council" established in the Doctrine and Covenants,[44] certain parallels exist, such as requiring all members to hold the High Priesthood, and limiting their number to twelve.[45]

Although Strang briefly retained the services of apostle William Smith as "Chief Patriarch" of his church,[46] he makes no mention of this office anywhere in his book.

No Apostles (of any degree) exist within the Strangite organization today, as all must be appointed by a Strangite prophet, while the prophet himself must be appointed by God through the direct ministry of angels. The "incorporated" group of Strangites has high priests, but the "non-incorporated" group does not, insisting that the first body does not currently possess authority to ordain any.[47] Both factions enjoy the ministry of Elders and Aaronic Priesthood offices.

4 hours ago, zil said:

they'd be...normal. :itwasntme:

Then they would be Normites. Not to be confused with Normans, the nationality of the people from Normandy (also not to be confused with Mormons, a previously accepted nickname of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints).

Seems Strang has a strange stranglehold on strangers which, strangely enough, caused a strangury stage of strangeness.

Bah...that's horrible. There's only two words that start with strang. Strange and strangle. I always go to strangle in my head. Leave it to @zil to go to strange instead!

13 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Speaking of strange names:

Every time I've mentioned Denver Snuffer my wife thinks I forgot to add a "the" before it. Apparently she's under the impression he's a serial killer by virtue of his name.

Maybe you should tell her he works in a candle-testing lab.

8 hours ago, Morgaine said:

I just recently heard of the Strangite LDS Church, and was told it was a cult. What are all of your thoughts on them? Officially they call themselves The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Strangite). 

As you can see from the wikipedia link this church spells their name slightly different:

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

No hyphen and large D.

M.

20 hours ago, Morgaine said:

No, they are not a cult.  There are actually two branches of the Strangite church.  I think @NeedleinA posted a link to one of their websites (not sure, but that may be the one that is maintained by one Elder in their church).  At one time they had almost 10,000 members if I recall (this is all of the top of my head).  Today, many integrated into the Reorganized Church which is now known as the CoC and the other branch is around 300 members or less.

Today, as far as beliefs, they probably are more mainstream in what they talk about than the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Those from the Brighamites, or those that went to Utah).  However, as far as size goes, they are miniscule in comparison.  They have a fascinating history that in some ways parallels what happened earlier with the Saints before the sucession crisis.  In some ways, one could see them as what COULD have happened if Brigham Young had not brought the Saints Westward and instead chose to try to create a community in the East which still followed the idea of Translation, Prophets, and Revelation while remaining somewhat separate from the world.

Any specific thoughts you would like to have me expound on?

This has been bothering me in multiple threads where I keep seeing it repeated:

The name of the church is:

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints 

not:

the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

or:

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

The "The" should be present and capitalized. It's a formal part of the name. 

On 11/27/2018 at 11:29 AM, Morgaine said:

We are advised in scripture not to judge someone until we have heard them speak.  In short we should not formulate opinions about other's beliefs unless we are willing to talk with them face to face.  I have never talked with a Strangite - I have no opinion.

The Traveler

On 11/28/2018 at 6:54 AM, JohnsonJones said:

No, they are not a cult.  There are actually two branches of the Strangite church.  I think @NeedleinA posted a link to one of their websites (not sure, but that may be the one that is maintained by one Elder in their church).  At one time they had almost 10,000 members if I recall (this is all of the top of my head).  Today, many integrated into the Reorganized Church which is now known as the CoC and the other branch is around 300 members or less.

Today, as far as beliefs, they probably are more mainstream in what they talk about than the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Those from the Brighamites, or those that went to Utah).  However, as far as size goes, they are miniscule in comparison.  They have a fascinating history that in some ways parallels what happened earlier with the Saints before the sucession crisis.  In some ways, one could see them as what COULD have happened if Brigham Young had not brought the Saints Westward and instead chose to try to create a community in the East which still followed the idea of Translation, Prophets, and Revelation while remaining somewhat separate from the world.

Any specific thoughts you would like to have me expound on?

Thanks for your explanation. I've heard the history of that group was pretty interesting, and that The Church could've gone that direction if it weren't for Brigham Young. 

Upon reading I noticed that they do have some different doctrinal beliefs than we have, with some being completely different like that Jesus was not the Son of God (a false belief), but I noticed that they go to church on Saturday instead of Sunday to observe the Biblical Sabbath. My question is, how come we don't do this? 

On 11/29/2018 at 7:45 AM, Traveler said:

We are advised in scripture not to judge someone until we have heard them speak.  In short we should not formulate opinions about other's beliefs unless we are willing to talk with them face to face.  I have never talked with a Strangite - I have no opinion.

The Traveler

I can respect this. It's easy for us to judge others based on the little we know, but it's always better to actually talk to someone face to face and get real answers.

On 11/28/2018 at 2:47 PM, Colirio said:

not:

or:

Okay well thank you for your input. I've never had anyone correct me on this since I joined The Church years ago, so I appreciate it 👍

On 11/28/2018 at 2:47 PM, Colirio said:

not:

or:

Are you from The Ohio?

56 minutes ago, Morgaine said:

Okay well thank you for your input. I've never had anyone correct me on this since I joined The Church years ago, so I appreciate it 👍

I don't see anywhere that you used the name incorrectly. 😀

There are others here that seem to do it constantly...