1919 LDS Hymnbook

NeuroTypical

Wow, thank you @NeuroTypicalsomewhere in my bookcases or boxed somewhere I have a NOT so old as yours, but older than the hymn books we now are using. I was the Librarian when we got all new, updated editions and were told to remove the old ones. All but 6 copies were taken by the membership. I took one and sent the rest to DI.

26 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Someone pointed out that #36, Come Listen to a Prophet's Voice, sounds totally different than it does today.  

Wow.  That really is different.  I think I like today's version better. 

You know what I miss?  The earlier version of "Away in a Manger."  Today's version has a tune that sounds so contrived.  It's almost a foxtrot.  It really doesn't fit the lyrics.  But the version I grew up with was more like a lullaby.  Ya know, like a baby sleeping in a... some place soft.

Edited by Guest

13 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Wow.  That really is different.  I think I like today's version better. 

You know what I miss?  The earlier version of "Away in a Manger."  Today's version has a tune that sounds so contrived.  It's almost a foxtrot.  It really doesn't fit the lyrics.  But the version I grew up with was more like a lullaby.  Ya know, like a baby sleeping in a... some place soft.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Away_in_a_Manger#"Cradle_Song"

Are you preferring Mueller or Cradle Song. My assumption is Mueller is your preference. It's interesting because when I saw your post, I thought to myself, oh yeah there are different versions so I had to go looking to see what I could find and have a listen to. I realized that I'm very familiar with both versions to the point that neither sounds wrong. I actually thought one was redone for the children's song book, and the other was more traditional for the main hymnal - but both versions are quite old.

3 hours ago, SpiritDragon said:

Are you preferring Mueller or Cradle Song. My assumption is Mueller is your preference. It's interesting because when I saw your post, I thought to myself, oh yeah there are different versions so I had to go looking to see what I could find and have a listen to. I realized that I'm very familiar with both versions to the point that neither sounds wrong. I actually thought one was redone for the children's song book, and the other was more traditional for the main hymnal - but both versions are quite old.

Well, there was the version that was REALLY popular in the US from around...when I was a boy to at least the early 2000s.  The LDS church used to use that version as well and then they came up with some strange version no one really used or heard of.  No idea why they went that direction.  I never really liked the NEW version they chose to go with but maybe there was a copyright issue or something.  I'm not an expert enough to say what version it is.

5 hours ago, SpiritDragon said:

Yes, I liked the "Mueller"version better.  It was what I learned in Primary.  When I heard other (younger people) Singing the "Cradle Song" version, I thought it was weird.  But I thought I'd get used to it.  I never did.  Now that I've had a lot more musical training, I've come to really dislike the Cradle Song.  Like I said, it's like a foxtrot -- sometimes it's like a marching song.  Mueller is just plain prettier.

Edited by Guest

29 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Yes, I liked the "Mueller"version better.  It was what I learned in Primary.  When I heard other (younger people) Singing the "Cradle Song" version, I thought it was weird.  But I thought I'd get used to it.  I never did.  Now that I've had a lot more musical training, I've come to really dislike the Cradle Song.  Like I said, it's like a foxtrot -- sometimes it's like a marching song.  Mueller is just plain prettier.

From the sounds on the wiki article posted, it seems that the version I liked as a boy and the LDS church used to sing was the Mueller version or the Luther version.  It seems that is also the older or original version???

The new one is popular in England (as per the wiki)?  Did not know that.  So we basically took the UK version to use in our Hymn book?

11 minutes ago, JohnsonJones said:

From the sounds on the wiki article posted, it seems that the version I liked as a boy and the LDS church used to sing was the Mueller version or the Luther version.  It seems that is also the older or original version???

The new one is popular in England (as per the wiki)?  Did not know that.  So we basically took the UK version to use in our Hymn book?

Yes.

And it appears to be so.

4 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

Well, there was the version that was REALLY popular in the US from around...when I was a boy to at least the early 2000s.  The LDS church used to use that version as well and then they came up with some strange version no one really used or heard of.  No idea why they went that direction.  I never really liked the NEW version they chose to go with but maybe there was a copyright issue or something.  I'm not an expert enough to say what version it is.

Do you know which version that was. I ask because I'm curious to find out if I recognize the versions you speak of. Is the new one you speak of the current Children's Song Book Version?