Why are men above the age of 26 not allowed to serve a mission?

vitaminwater120

10 minutes ago, vitaminwater120 said:

I joined the church after the cut-off age for men to serve a mission, but I have a strong desire to do missionary work.  My questions are, (1) why are men over the age of 26 not allowed to serve missions?, and (2) can any exceptions be made?

There are two types of missionary work: those that wear badges serving full-time, and those that teach in their home community part-time.

The reason there is an age cut off for the badge-wearing type is to encourage these young men to become husbands and fathers-- teaching in that capacity.  Yes exceptions can be made but they are rare.

The second type of serving in your community anyone can do.  Talk to your bishop about your desire to serve that way.

I am interested in the badge-wearing type of missionary work.  Can you tell me anything more about those rare exceptions?  What factors made it so they were exempt from the regular cut-off age?  Was it age?  If so, then I think I may have a shot because I am only 27.

Are you sure the cut-off age really has to do with encouraging men to become husbands and fathers?  Women do not have a cut-off age.  Does this mean the church is not encouraging them to become wives and mothers? 

Edited by vitaminwater120

39 minutes ago, vitaminwater120 said:

I am interested in the badge-wearing type of missionary work.  Can you tell me anything more about those rare exceptions?  What factors made it so they were exempt from the regular cut-off age?  Was it age?  If so, then I think I may have a shot because I am only 27.

Are you sure the cut-off age really has to do with encouraging men to become husbands and fathers?  Women do not have a cut-off age.  Does this mean the church is not encouraging them to become wives and mothers? 

Full-time mission is a Priesthood Duty for men between the age of 18-25.  Women do not have the same obligation.  Women can, of course, serve if they desire to do so but their priority is the home, ward, and community. 

The only exception given after men turn 26 is when the missionary served before he turned 26 but his service was interrupted due to some reason (usually health reasons) so he applies to complete his mission.   

Men over age 26 are not obligated by Priesthood Duty to serve a full-time mission.  Men are expected to have a paying job, or looking for one, at age 26.  No such expectation for women.  But men 26 and over still do have mission opportunities. 

The ward has a mission program.  You should talk to your ward mission president to see how you can serve there.  Ward missionaries are usually assigned to accompany the full-time missionaries.  

You can also apply for a Church-Service Mission.  There is no age limit for this mission except men have to be  at least 18, women 19.  This can either be 6 months all the way to a 2-year assignment that you do part-time while living at home. 

Another missionary opportunity is for couples who do not have a full-time employment anymore.  Those without dependent children may be assigned away from their homes.

And, of course, you don't have to be specifically called to be a missionary to do mission work.  Every member of the church is encouraged to be everyday missionaries.

Edited by anatess2

1 hour ago, vitaminwater120 said:

Women do not have a cut-off age. 

There's an overabundance of women in the Church and a dearth of men.  Therefore, it is only rational that they want every man who's nearing the age at which he really ought to be marrying to be in a state where he can date and then get married (missionaries can't do that).  You may want to put off marriage until you're 30-something, but the Church would prefer you not wait longer than necessary.  I suspect statistics show that if a man doesn't get married by age X, his probability of ever getting married starts to plummet.

Meanwhile, all the expired females who didn't get married can go serve missions as they choose.

My recommendation is that you look into the exception route, and if there isn't one to be found, get married before you expire, and save some single woman in the Church from expiring herself.

...can we quote Brigham Young here?  Something about "over 30" and "shot" and "outer darkness by another name"?

Edited by zil

19 hours ago, zil said:

...can we quote Brigham Young here?  Something about "over 30" and "shot" and "outer darkness by another name"?

I'd be interested in hearing that quote. I'm most familiar with the possibly mythological quote about young unmarried men usually 25 or 27 being a menace to society.

8 minutes ago, SpiritDragon said:

I'd be interested in hearing that quote. I'm most familiar with the possibly mythological quote about young unmarried men usually 25 or 27 being a menace to society.

So you can find the "menace to society" quote floating around the internet with various ages (and even both genders) linked to it.  But I couldn't find the one I heard, so I'm thinking it's a special quote known only to the select few (and I'm about to make the select few into many):

An unmarried man over the age of 30 isn't worth the shot it would take to send him to hell.

-- attributed to Brigham Young (but probably not)