Favorite LDS Athlete

Tyme

29 minutes ago, Tyme said:

I didn't even know Danny Ainge was LDS.

Merely the best NBA player BYU ever produced. No reason anyone should know he was LDS. :)

Jim McMahon, Steve Young, Krešimir Ćosić, Danny Ainge, Ty Detmer, Ziggy Ansah, Taysom Hill...lots to choose from. BYU athletes, that is. (McMahon wasn't LDS, nor were Ćosić or Detmer when they came to BYU. Ansah was baptized before coming to BYU, but was a young adult convert.)

Edited by Vort

I like Kyle Van Noy also. Just bummed the Lions traded him for nothing. A former front office man of the Patriots is now the Lions gm. He happened to trade Kyle Van Noy to the Patriots. hmmm

Edited by Tyme

8 minutes ago, Tyme said:

I like Kyle Van Noy also. Just bummed the Lions traded him for nothing. A former front office man of the Patriots is now the Lions gm. He happened to trade Kyle Van Noy to the Patriots. hmmm

I'm happy for Van Noy. The Patriots have treated him right and helped him to grow into his role.

1 minute ago, Vort said:

I'm happy for Van Noy. The Patriots have treated him right and helped him to grow into his role.

I'm happy for him as an individual also. There is no better team than the Patriots. It just sucks for the Lions organization.

My mission president received revelation that whilst in pre-earth life, we as a mission went two millenniums in a row undefeated in basketball. It was Peter and the rest of the 12 that finally broke our winning streak.

Im not one to go against leader’s revelation so I am basing my response on that. 

I am my favorite Latter-day Saint athlete

6 minutes ago, Godless said:

Steve Young (my mom was at BYU when he played for them)

Dennis Pitta

Haloti Ngata

Eric Weddle

Todd Heap

Okay, excluding Steve Young, there may be a pattern here. 😉

They were all good. Just not hall of gamers.

18 minutes ago, Godless said:

They're also all current or former players for the Baltimore Ravens. Weddle and Ngata might have a shot at the HoF.

I see what you're getting at now. That is pretty interesting. It's also important to note that Ngata played for the Lions also.

Guest Godless
2 hours ago, Tyme said:

I see what you're getting at now. That is pretty interesting. It's also important to note that Ngata played for the Lions also.

Yep, and Heap finished his career with the Cardinals. They both made their name in Baltimore though. 😁

Without a doubt Eli Herring

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865627580/20-years-later-blessed-Herring-believes-he-made-right-decision-not-to-play-in-NFL.html

I was on the BYU track team with this Giant of a Man.  Very quiet and reserved.  And he had the most amazing appetite I have ever witnessed. 

Inspirational

# 2 

BYU Decathlete

David Draney

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.deseretnews.com/article/510043926/Before-and-after-Athlete-learned-to-live--while-dying-of-cancer.amp

Edited by mikbone

4 hours ago, Vort said:

Merely the best NBA player BYU ever produced. No reason anyone should know he was LDS. :)

Jim McMahon, Steve Young, Krešimir Ćosić, Danny Ainge, Ty Detmer, Ziggy Ansah, Taysom Hill...lots to choose from. BYU athletes, that is. (McMahon wasn't LDS, nor were Ćosić or Detmer when they came to BYU. Ansah was baptized before coming to BYU, but was a young adult convert.)

Danny Ainge was an exceptional athlete. Very few guys have played more than one professional sport. Danny Ainge not only played professional baseball and basketball (MLB and NBA), he was good at both.  His baseball stats would've likely improved as he showed a lot of promise early on.  But who could blame the guy for leaving the Blue Jays to go on and win two NBA championships with the Celtics?

Edited by clbent04

2 hours ago, mikbone said:

Without a doubt Eli Herring

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865627580/20-years-later-blessed-Herring-believes-he-made-right-decision-not-to-play-in-NFL.html

I was on the BYU track team with this Giant of a Man.  Very quiet and reserved.  And he had the most amazing appetite I have ever witnessed. 

Inspirational

# 2 

BYU Decathlete

David Draney

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.deseretnews.com/article/510043926/Before-and-after-Athlete-learned-to-live--while-dying-of-cancer.amp

That’s an inspiring story.

On 11/29/2018 at 3:13 PM, Tyme said:

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4815954