Brainwashing our Children with Religion

clbent04

8 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Yes, he did.

Clbent,

You keep saying "I didn't say that." Well, what ARE you saying? 

• Is your "belief" knowledge? or not?
  • If it is "knowledge" then aren't you putting it forth as fact?
  • If you put it forth as fact, are you not telling them what to believe?
  • If you tell them what to believe, you call that brainwashing.

Where is this line of logic false?  What am I missing because everything you're saying says one thing, and then you go and say you never said that.

If you reread the OP and everything I've said in this thread on the matter, you'll see I've already addressed exactly what I'm talking about when it comes to brainwashing our children with religion.  I really don't care to address questions that are out of scope with what I'm posting here.  I'll quote myself below if it helps clarify my position on the matter.

On 12/2/2018 at 9:06 AM, clbent04 said:

It's brainwashing if you don't encourage open dialogue and healthy questioning to help them understand what it is you believe, and more importantly, why are you dragging them along for the ride.

Help them embrace the gospel by allowing them to come to their own conclusions about it.  Don't put words in their mouth so they just regurgitate what they think you want to hear. Let them know you really value what they personally think and feel, even if they start speaking and it's nothing profound and maybe even sounds silly. Be patient and encourage discussion even if it starts off slowly. Give them positive reinforcement for expressing the simplest of observations.

Sit down with them and say, you know what, there's a whole lot to believe in this world, and here's what these other groups believe, and this is what I believe and know to be true because of A, B, C...  Tell them why it's important to you that you bring them with you to church every Sunday.

Even if they don't have a say in the matter about attending church services with you, they will remember you taking the time to have open dialogue with them. They will be grateful in their later years knowing you valued and took the time to listen to their own thoughts and feelings. 

19 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Meh.  That's parenting style differences.  Asian families don't do that new-fangled liberal parenting style of - let's offer kids choices!  Nah.  That could mean your kids die.  That's why children are more advantaged in a 2-parent-with-2-genders household because children learn by absorption of parental actions and learning from it.  Parents don't have to explain why they do things.  Parents inadvertently teach by example.  It doesn't matter if the parents teach lessons of "love and kindness" if they are not loving and kind.  The children will learn from their actions more than their words.  The child progression is mimicry in the early years then they learn eventually - if they are so willing - why they do things the way they do because it is the natural progression of children to go through the boundary-expansion stage.  That's why you grew up eventually knowing the WHY today even if your parents didn't sit you down to say, "Look little Johnny, this is why." 

That's why strong close-knit generational families produce successful children because children learn through TRADITIONS (legacies passed on by those who already walked that path) expanding the examples set by parents into a FAMILY IDENTITY.  Sitting down for open discussion, giving children a wide array of options, is a LUXURY OF RICH SOCIETIES.  And I posit that such a parenting style is the reason you have a bunch of useless millennials today.

Slightly related to this...

It's no secret that I enjoy Westerns.  I tried to get my kids to read Westerns and Enjoy them.  I made a mistake one day and read them Wizard of Oz.

So now I have a kid that loves Fantasy and Science Fiction (not even REAL science...though they did go into Computer Engineering which is science so....).  Hmm...I'm a terrible Brain Washer in that light.

And many of my kids don't like to read or study History. 

On the bright side 6 served missions and as far as I know are still active in the Church.  The other is also active in the Church, had a difficulty in going on a Mission though (health difficulties).

Just now, clbent04 said:

If you reread the OP and everything I've posted on this thread, you'll see exactly what I mean when I say brainwashing our children with religion. I really don't care to address issues that are out of scope with what I've posted here.  I'll quote myself to help clarify my position on the matter.

Now I'm beginning to believe you really are like Rob.

I JUST pointed out that when this many people misunderstand what you've posted, repeating it doesn't help.  You need to start over with new wording becuase I REALLY HAVE READ IT ALL.  And you keep denying what you've said.

Answer the simple question.

WHERE IS THE FAULT IN MY LOGIC THAT YOU JUST QUOTED?

13 hours ago, Carborendum said:
  • Is your "belief" knowledge? or not?
  • If it is "knowledge" then aren't you putting it forth as fact?
  • If you put it forth as fact, are you not telling them what to believe?
  • If you tell them what to believe, you call that brainwashing.

Where is this line of logic false?  What am I missing because everything you're saying says one thing, and then you go and say you never said that.

When you say everyone is getting confused, I think it's just a select few. I've been clear with what I have written. The confusion lies with you imagining I've said something rather than just reading the plain text of what I've written. Can you please let me know where I said not to testify to your kids of the truthfulness of the gospel? Can you please let me know where I said testifying of the gospel is brainwashing your kid as a standalone statement? Please reply with the quotes, I'm really curious here.  

Go ahead and look again, and when you come up with nothing you might understand why I don't care to address these invented opinions of mine.

It's only brainwashing if your kids live 18 years under your roof, and you never took the time to have open, honest dialogue about religion with them. It's only brainwashing if you never took the time to talk about the world outside yours, to seek their opinion and let them know you value it, to help them draw conclusions for themselves. 

Do you know what brainwashing means? Brainwashing, according to Merriam-Webster, is "a forcible indoctrination." And that's exactly what we are doing to our kids if we don't encourage open dialogue.

Let them know out of all the religions in the world (yes, it's okay to acknowledge there's other religions out there) why it is you are a Latter-day Saint.  The primary focus should obviously be sharing the true gospel with your kids.  But I think it's a positive to have occasional one-off conversations here and there about religion in general, and more importantly, letting your kids know you value what they think. Look at how important religion is to so many people. It's obviously important to you. It's important to me. Do you not think there's a chance your kid will grow up and reflect on how much they felt their religious opinions were valued when living with you? 

Does asking your kid for their opinion on religion automatically give them a free-for-all pass in everything they do? Apparently @anatess2 thinks so.  Obviously you can still lay down the law in your household while helping your kids know you value what they think.

So let me ask you, does it make you concerned as an LDS parent at the thought of having open dialogue with your kids regarding religion in general?  If so, why?

Edited by clbent04

On 12/1/2018 at 3:19 PM, clbent04 said:

The title of this topic is in regards to risks parents run introducing their children to any religion. 

As our two-year old girl grows older, I think about my negative and positive experiences with religion.  I'd like to figure out a way to give her all the positives and no negatives.

For me, I grew up in a loving, Latter-day Saint household with three siblings. We went to church every Sunday and were one of the staple families of our ward.  When it came to religion, my parents taught us nothing but the gospel and messages of the Church.  We were never taught to think for ourselves when it came to accepting a religion.  We simply were told the LDS Church was the one and only answer for all those years under our parents' roof.

This later came to have a negative effect on me as I realized all that time I went to church it wasn't because it was something I had personally accepted. I went because that was a better option than getting the belt from my Dad.  No one ever talked to me about what I felt or thought or wanted to believe.  I had very minimal exposure to religion beyond the LDS Church.  

My spiritual journey to find an answer for myself took place around the time I was 20-23 years old. After having some truly amazing spiritual experiences when I was 23, I was and forever will be a member and believer in the LDS Church.  

So even though I ended up accepting the very religion I grew up with, it bothers me we were sheltered as kids when it came to religion.  My parents did an outstanding job raising us and giving us all the love in the world, but I wish we were encouraged to think for ourselves more when it came to religion.

I would have appreciated being exposed to other walks of life and being encouraged to contemplate and internalize what I personally thought of all of it.  I wouldn't have felt as force feed as a kid if either one of my parents took the time to discuss outside-the-box topics. Even if I was still forced to go to church with them every Sunday, helping direct me to accept a belief system for myself with open dialogue about all religions would have gone a long ways.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with their upbringing?  Any suggestions on what you think would work best with introducing children to religion while at the same time encouraging them to think for themselves?

I don't think the term "brainwashing" is very useful for having a productive/thoughtful conversation on things-- it's just too inflammatory of a word.  Besides if we're going to call every "you MUST do things this way cause it's right regardless of what you think = brainwashing", then @clbent04, you're about to start some MAJOR brainwashing with your 2 year old: potty training.  It's long painful months wherein you teach your kid "we MUST do things THIS way, regardless of whether you like it", and they really don't like it.  And they really don't understand why things must be done that way.  And you need to sit there and INSIST they do it that way regardless.  So unless we want to call potty-training "brainwashing" too, it's just best to ditch the loaded term.

Big principles here---

-- Yes, a parent has the duty to teach the child about God.  They have the duty to teach.  And in my mind that does include a child reading scriptures with the family, praying with the family, discussing with the family and attending church with the family.  This is part of a parent's duty as a parent, and the education is non-optional.   (I'll talk about the kid possibly accepting the faith in a minute).  

-- Asking questions is always a good thing (assuming that they're honest questions you actually want to hear an answer too).  It should never be discouraged, but rather is part of the active learning process and hence should be encouraged.  (Again, I'll talk about a kid possibly accepting the faith in a minute).  

-- Also part of the parent's teaching duty is to teach children about the larger world, and including the fact that they will encounter people who have different opinions/beliefs than they do.  Different opinions about sports, politics, management movies, money, faith, etc.   Teaching children how to work with people who have different opinions/beliefs is also mandatory education.  We got to learn how to talk about things, resolve disagreements, respectfully disagree, etc.

-- Zooming into talk about faith: it is mandatory education to learn to respect people of other faiths and work with them.  Doesn't mean you have to agree, but you got to be respectful / charitable / truthful / etc. 

-- As to learning about other faiths: I do believe it's mandatory education to learn how to have a learning-conversation with people of different beliefs.  As to learning the basic facts about what a different person believes-- I don't find this to be automatically mandatory education, but I do think it's helpful to better deal with the larger world and better love those of different faiths.  Obviously this should be done at an appropriate time and in a good way--- with respect to all involved.  And such teaching of other faiths is always an aside to the central teaching about Christ and the parent's testifying of their own faith.  

-- Now I'll talk about a kid possibly accepting the faith -- obviously each person needs to choose to come unto Christ and be baptized as a believer. It's never something that should be defaulted into without actual belief on the child's part.  You got to have your own lamp.  

We were never taught to think for ourselves when it came to accepting a religion. 

I'm confused here.  If you're saying that you were never encouraged to pray and get a testimony yourself, or study, or so many other things, I'm going to raise an eyebrow to that.    Such education and thinking is highly encouraged.

Also, there's a big difference between saying "told not to think" and being upset one's parents didn't teach Hinduism.   I'm not sure what it is you're trying to say here.

This later came to have a negative effect on me as I realized all that time I went to church it wasn't because it was something I had personally accepted. I went because that was a better option than getting the belt from my Dad.  No one ever talked to me about what I felt or thought or wanted to believe. 

Going to church: mandatory education.  Just like going to secular school.

Believing in Christ and accepting Him as taught: that's up to you.  And doing that studying / getting that testimony is very encouraged.  One could even say it's harped on week after week.  

I had very minimal exposure to religion beyond the LDS Church.  

Again, saying "I'm upset because I didn't know how to think myself" (internal development) is very different than "never had time spent listening to what other folks believe" (outward knowledge).  I'm not sure what you're big point here is.

My spiritual journey to find an answer for myself took place around the time I was 20-23 years old. After having some truly amazing spiritual experiences when I was 23, I was and forever will be a member and believer in the LDS Church.  

Yeah!

So even though I ended up accepting the very religion I grew up with, it bothers me we were sheltered as kids when it came to religion.  My parents did an outstanding job raising us and giving us all the love in the world, but I wish we were encouraged to think for ourselves more when it came to religion.

I would have appreciated being exposed to other walks of life and being encouraged to contemplate and internalize what I personally thought of all of it.  I wouldn't have felt as force feed as a kid if either one of my parents took the time to discuss outside-the-box topics. Even if I was still forced to go to church with them every Sunday, helping direct me to accept a belief system for myself with open dialogue about all religions would have gone a long ways.

Same question out intreat what-I-think versus external tour of different places. 

15 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

I don't think the term "brainwashing" is very useful for having a productive/thoughtful conversation on things-- it's just too inflammatory of a word.

I think you're right on this point. But really it's the fault of the reader if they run too far with the term "brainwashing." I used the appropriate term to describe exactly what I meant.

Brainwashing is a forcible indoctrination.  That's exactly what this post is about, and how to circumvent that from happening with you kids particularly when it comes to religion. 

Edited by clbent04

Just now, clbent04 said:

I think you're right on this point. But really it's the fault of the reader if they run too far with the term "brainwashing." I used the appropriate term to describe exactly what I meant.

Brainwashing is a forcible indoctrination.  That's exactly what this post is about, and how to circumvent that from happening particularly when it comes to religion. 

And you will forcibly indoctrinate your child MANY times as a child.

You will forcibly indoctrinate them to say "please" and to take turns and to wipe their butt a certain way and learn to read and to drive a certain way etc.

Since you want to use that term:  @clbent04, how has the last two years of brainwashing your child going?  I'm assuming those far you've brainwashed (or am continuing to strive to do so) them on a number of subjects such as sharing, using their inside voice, holding your hand when they cross the street, etc.  

7 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

And you will forcibly indoctrinate your child MANY times as a child.

You will forcibly indoctrinate them to say "please" and to take turns and to wipe their butt a certain way and learn to read and to drive a certain way etc.

Since you want to use that term:  @clbent04, how has the last two years of brainwashing your child going?  I'm assuming those far you've brainwashed (or am continuing to strive to do so) them on a number of subjects such as sharing, using their inside voice, holding your hand when they cross the street, etc.  

@Jane_Doe 100 percent agree. Valid point. Forcible indoctrination is inevitable as a parent. What I’m specifically pointing out is circumventing brainwashing when it comes to religion, not in all things. 

1 minute ago, clbent04 said:

@Jane_Doe 100 percent agree. Valid point. Forcible indoctrination is inevitable as a parent. What I’m specifically pointing out is circumventing brainwashing when it comes to religion, not in all things. 

Is "brainwashing" bad?  No.  It's part of being a parent.  And that includes insisting the child get an education, which included on faith.

Insisting your child get an education is a GOOD thing and part of a parent's job. 

25 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

Is "brainwashing" bad?  No.  

This I don’t agree with as a blanket statement. Some brainwashing is bad.

If your kid feels like he/she never had a voice in your household, that’s a bad thing.

I’m not saying you should make the child an equal to the parent. On the contrary, I would advocate against such a thing. But giving them a voice in the sense they know you value what they think, that you take the time to listen, even if it doesn’t change how things are run in the house.

I’m especially focusing on circumventing brainwashing when it comes to religion because that is such a hugely personal matter for someone to choose and accept in this life. Make it personal for your kids by having open dialogue with them about it. 

Edited by clbent04

1 minute ago, clbent04 said:

This I don’t agree with as a blanket statement. Some brainwashing is bad.

If your kid feels like he/she never had a voice in your household, that’s a bad thing.

I’m not saying you should make the child and equal to the parent. On the contrary, I would advocate against such a thing. But giving them a voice in the sense they know you value what they think, that you take the time to listen, even if it doesn’t change how things are run in the house.

I’m focusing on religion especially because that is such a huge personal belief system for someone to accept in this life. Make it personal for your kids by having open dialogue with them about it. 

A person can have a voice AND you insist they get an education, if they they don't like said education and it has to be forced.  And sometimes they aren't going to get the "why".   That's just parenting.  

Those are two very different subjects and I don't know why you keep mixing them up.  

3 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

A person can have a voice AND you insist they get an education, if they they don't like said education and it has to be forced.  And sometimes they aren't going to get the "why".   That's just parenting.  

Those are two very different subjects and I don't know why you keep mixing them up.  

Can you rephrase or reword that? I’m having trouble understanding what you’re saying there

Edited by clbent04

3 minutes ago, clbent04 said:

Can you rephrase or reword that? I’m having trouble understanding what you’re saying there

The following are two very different subjects:

1) A child feeling valued and that value conveyed

2) The necessity of child getting an education, even when the child doesn't see the purpose and doesn't want it.

They are two different subjects and they shouldn't be mixed up.  

14 hours ago, clbent04 said:

I’m especially focusing on circumventing brainwashing when it comes to religion because that is such a hugely personal matter for someone to choose and accept in this life. Make it personal for your kids by having open dialogue with them about it. 

I don't get you at all.

So no need to "circumvent brainwashing" your kid to wipe his butt (I guess that's not personal enough) but you need to "circumvent brainwashing" your kid on how to get to the Celestial Kingdom (because it's personal)?

Okay, you have a 2 year old now.  I'll give you an Asian pro-tip:
1.)  Your first and primary responsibility as the father of a child is to straighten your life out and hold fast to the iron rod with your wife and Love your wife and children.
2.)  Your next job is to provide a healthy environment - food, shelter, clothing, education, physical and psychological, spiritual health.
3.)  Teach your child OBEDIENCE.  And yes, Because I said So, is a perfectly valid way of teaching obedience.

And that's all there is to parenting.  Everything else will fall into place and when your child grows up he will learn the Why through his Obedience as he expands his horizons beyond the four walls of your house.

So, why is it that your job is to teach the child OBEDIENCE?  That is because, you don't want to raise a kid such that when a car is careening towards him (literally and figuratively) and you shout at him to "Get off the sidewalk!" he won't be shouting back, "Why?" as he becomes a hood ornament. 

This is especially illustrated in migrant families who speak a language (language is an expression of culture) different from their residency.  If you want your child to grow up in your culture and traditions, you don't speak the language of your residency inside the home.  You speak ONLY your native tongue.  The child grows up in the language and culture of his parents.  But, by the time the child is primary age, his interactions outside of his home would have naturally made him bi-lingual (and bi-cultural) without the parents having to introduce that culture inside the home.  I will be shocked if a 2nd generation immigrant raised in this manner would complain about how his parents never taught him to be American.  And that's essentially what YOU'RE complaining about with your parents.

Edited by anatess2

21 hours ago, Jane_Doe said:

The following are two very different subjects:

1) A child feeling valued and that value conveyed

2) The necessity of child getting an education, even when the child doesn't see the purpose and doesn't want it.

They are two different subjects and they shouldn't be mixed up.  

I'm addressing a relation to the following:

1) A child feeling valued and that value conveyed.

2) Your willingness as a parent to have open dialogue with your child about the religious choices you make on behalf of the household.

If you don't see a relationship between those two then that may be where we are disagreeing.

I'm not addressing a correlation between how valued your child feels and what choices you make on their behalf (although a correlation does exist with that too). I'm addressing the importance of explaining the choices you make on their behalf, specifically regarding religion.  Dragging them along with everything you do and providing no explanation as to why can potentially be negative.  Obviously you don't have to explain yourself in all things, as there is neither the need or the time, but as they grow older, I think it's important to have occasional open dialogue about religion since that ends up being a huge decision to accept personally.

You may rightly feel that having your kid raised in the LDS church is a necessity, but are they going to feel that way later in life? What is going to turn out to be a necessity for them through their perspective as an adult? Whatever the outcome may be, a little open dialogue can go a long ways.  They'll remember those conversations.  They'll remember you respecting their individuality even if they still end up being forced to go with you to church.  They'll remember you at least valued their opinion, and that can go a long ways.

Edited by clbent04

23 hours ago, Jane_Doe said:

-- Yes, a parent has the duty to teach the child about God.  They have the duty to teach.  And in my mind that does include a child reading scriptures with the family, praying with the family, discussing with the family and attending church with the family.  This is part of a parent's duty as a parent, and the education is non-optional.   (I'll talk about the kid possibly accepting the faith in a minute).  

Agree.

-- Asking questions is always a good thing (assuming that they're honest questions you actually want to hear an answer too).  It should never be discouraged, but rather is part of the active learning process and hence should be encouraged.  (Again, I'll talk about a kid possibly accepting the faith in a minute).  

Agree.

-- Also part of the parent's teaching duty is to teach children about the larger world, and including the fact that they will encounter people who have different opinions/beliefs than they do.  Different opinions about sports, politics, management movies, money, faith, etc.   Teaching children how to work with people who have different opinions/beliefs is also mandatory education.  We got to learn how to talk about things, resolve disagreements, respectfully disagree, etc.

Excellent point.

-- Zooming into talk about faith: it is mandatory education to learn to respect people of other faiths and work with them.  Doesn't mean you have to agree, but you got to be respectful / charitable / truthful / etc. 

Agree.

-- As to learning about other faiths: I do believe it's mandatory education to learn how to have a learning-conversation with people of different beliefs.  As to learning the basic facts about what a different person believes-- I don't find this to be automatically mandatory education, but I do think it's helpful to better deal with the larger world and better love those of different faiths.  Obviously this should be done at an appropriate time and in a good way--- with respect to all involved.  And such teaching of other faiths is always an aside to the central teaching about Christ and the parent's testifying of their own faith.  

Agree. I don't think learning about other faiths is mandatory, but I do think it's important.

I'm confused here.  If you're saying that you were never encouraged to pray and get a testimony yourself, or study, or so many other things, I'm going to raise an eyebrow to that. Such education and thinking is highly encouraged.

Also, there's a big difference between saying "told not to think" and being upset one's parents didn't teach Hinduism.   I'm not sure what it is you're trying to say here.

When I said "We were never taught to think for ourselves when it came to accepting a religion," I meant we were never asked what we thought or felt about the LDS religion. I agree I could have taken the initiative on to internalize these things myself, but I wasn't very focused on religion as a kid. 

Again, saying "I'm upset because I didn't know how to think myself" (internal development) is very different than "never had time spent listening to what other folks believe" (outward knowledge).  I'm not sure what you're big point here is.

My point is how parents teach their kids and what they expose them to affects how a child thinks. Do you not think that's the case? 

Edited by clbent04

7 minutes ago, Vort said:

Is it just me, or does this thread remind anyone else of the SJWs who insist that you get your infant's permission before changing his dirty diaper?

https://www.newsweek.com/diaper-ask-baby-permission-changing-says-sexual-consent-expert-918981

Maybe it's just me.

My identity has been revealed! Abort mission, @clbent04!!!

pic.jpg.eeac4425e202c5c9280e910bb63eb385.jpg

Edited by clbent04

19 minutes ago, clbent04 said:

When I said "We were never taught to think for ourselves when it came to accepting a religion," I meant we were never asked what we thought or felt about the LDS religion. I agree I could have taken the initiative on to internalize these things myself, but I wasn't very focused on religion as a kid. 

If that's the case, then that's a particular failing in your case.  LDS doctrine very much stress that a person housed have teismony, pray, read scriptures, etc.  Even as a kid.  And yes, youre repeatedly asked about your beliefs, such as before baptism, before getting a temple recommend, plus the million informal times.

Asking questions has also been a key part of the youth teaching program for a number of years now, and with the new SS/RS/PH outlines too.

19 minutes ago, clbent04 said:

My point is how parents teach their kids and what they expose them to affects how a child thinks. Do you not think that's the case? 

Again I feel like you're mixing up subjects here.  

@Jane_Doe Do you agree or disagree with the paragraph below?

You may rightly feel that having your kid raised in the LDS church is a necessity, but are they going to feel that way later in life? What is going to turn out to be a necessity for them through their perspective as an adult? Whatever the outcome may be, a little open dialogue can go a long ways.  They'll remember those conversations.  They'll remember you respecting their individuality even if they still end up being forced to go with you to church.  They'll remember you at least valued their opinion, and that can go a long ways.

9 minutes ago, clbent04 said:

@Jane_Doe Do you agree or disagree with the paragraph below?

This paragraph is based off the false premise: that you have to pick one or the other.  I do not agree with that faulty premise.  

18 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

This paragraph is based off the false premise: that you have to pick one or the other.  I do not agree with that faulty premise.  

There's nothing definitive about saying a little open dialogue can go a long ways.