My Prediction of the End of the United States

3 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

You've met a lot of people who think Armageddon = Disneyland?

With rare exception I have not met anyone that knows what they will do when Armageddon happens.   What is your plan?

The Traveler

7 hours ago, Traveler said:

Throughout history there has always been a "sky is falling, doom and gloom, world is ending" thing going on. 

5 hours ago, MormonGator said:

Exactly-and the sky hasn't fallen yet. 

I'm perceiving that you're saying that "because people have always said it, the sentiment must be wrong."

I am of the opinion that the sky IS falling.  But it simply takes a VERY long time for Heaven to fall to Earth -- like a few millennia.  The sky IS falling.  And it will continue to fall so slowly that we don't even realize it.

Just because it is slow, doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Guest MormonGator
33 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Just because it is slow, doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Ignoring all the blessings we have in 2019 to complain about the world getting worse is the height of ingratitude, in particular because it's so obviously getting better. In my view you (generic) lose the right to complain about the world getting worse from the internet. Which wouldn't have existed in it's current format even thirty years ago. 

If you have depression now, there are amazing treatments that work for many of us. 
if you had depression, oh, even in the 1950's-you were told to "suck it up", or worse, you drank to mask the pain. 

if you have cancer now, depending on the type, you have a fighting chance now. 
If you have cancer in, oh, even 1950, there wasn't a lot they could do. Even if it was detected early.

We've destroyed a ton of diseases that anti-vaxxers are doing their best to bring back. Yes, Yellow Fever and Smallpox killed millions. So did diphtheria. Oh and remember polio? Yeah, pre vaccines (a relatively new intention) you just died of those diseases. Or got to spend life in an iron lung. 

Remember life on a farm? Back breaking labor from dusk to dawn? Oh yeah, one bad season and your family will starve. Yes, it did happen. 
Now, our biggest complaint is obesity. Yes, people eating too much. Obesity. 

Life for thousands of years was solitary, poor, nasty, brutish and short.

Sorry @Carborendum, I could not disagree with you more. Life is getting so much better. We are the most blessed, spoiled generation in history. 

Edited by MormonGator

4 hours ago, Traveler said:

With rare exception I have not met anyone that knows what they will do when Armageddon happens.   What is your plan?

I'm going to get a Fastpass to the Giant Hordes Who Rape And Pillage You ride.

3 hours ago, MormonGator said:

Sorry @Carborendum, I could not disagree with you more.

Really?  Why, then, did you agree with me that -- 

Life is getting so much better. We are the most blessed, spoiled generation in history. 

??

Just because we have the greatest blessings in history does not mean we don't have the greatest challenges in history.  I believe they tend to go hand-in-hand.

Thus, to point out the decline of civilization is not denying the blessings of civilization.  It's all part of the great whole.

Edited by Guest

15 hours ago, MormonGator said:

Ignoring all the blessings we have in 2019 to complain about the world getting worse is the height of ingratitude, in particular because it's so obviously getting better. In my view you (generic) lose the right to complain about the world getting worse from the internet. Which wouldn't have existed in it's current format even thirty years ago. 

If you have depression now, there are amazing treatments that work for many of us. 
if you had depression, oh, even in the 1950's-you were told to "suck it up", or worse, you drank to mask the pain. 

if you have cancer now, depending on the type, you have a fighting chance now. 
If you have cancer in, oh, even 1950, there wasn't a lot they could do. Even if it was detected early.

We've destroyed a ton of diseases that anti-vaxxers are doing their best to bring back. Yes, Yellow Fever and Smallpox killed millions. So did diphtheria. Oh and remember polio? Yeah, pre vaccines (a relatively new intention) you just died of those diseases. Or got to spend life in an iron lung. 

Remember life on a farm? Back breaking labor from dusk to dawn? Oh yeah, one bad season and your family will starve. Yes, it did happen. 
Now, our biggest complaint is obesity. Yes, people eating too much. Obesity. 

Life for thousands of years was solitary, poor, nasty, brutish and short.

Sorry @Carborendum, I could not disagree with you more. Life is getting so much better. We are the most blessed, spoiled generation in history. 

One thing I have learned during my life time is that anything I own that I do not take constant care of - will eventually deteriorate and become useless.   The natural state of all things is chaos.  If G-d was to cease to intervene in the natural course of all things - all life would distinguish in an instant.

From a strict religious context there will be a division come or as stated in scripture a separation between light and darkness.  So I believe you observation that the light is becoming brighter is accurate but so also is the darkness becoming darker.

The Traveler

Guest LiterateParakeet
15 hours ago, MormonGator said:

Ignoring all the blessings we have in 2019 to complain about the world getting worse is the height of ingratitude, in particular because it's so obviously getting better. 

I agree. In ancient times, when people didn't like what a prophet said, they killed him. Today they mostly just ignore him or complain on social media. 

If the Savior lived today, He would NOT be crucified, more likely He would be ignored. 

1 hour ago, LiterateParakeet said:

I agree. In ancient times, when people didn't like what a prophet said, they killed him. Today they mostly just ignore him or complain on social media. 

If the Savior lived today, He would NOT be crucified, more likely He would be ignored. 

I believe you are making an oversimplification both of history and of our time as well.   Within 40 years of Jesus the Romans decimated Israel (Jerusalem) in one of the worse human tragedies in history.  In our own time we are not that far removed from the Holocaust, the Stalin purges and the China Opiate wars and even the Chinese cultural revolution.  And we should not forget the martyrdom of the Prophet Joseph Smith.

Within my life time I have observed that the Prophet David O. McKay use to walk the streets of SLC greeting passers by without any worries.   Currently our prophets never go out in public without armed guards because of constant threats on their lives.  Prophets, today are not being ignored as you are suggesting.  Something else I have noticed, as a youth, I often took a gun to school.  On one occasion the weapon I had would not fit in my locker so I took the rifle to my classes and set it on the floor beside me - no one was even concerned or ask a single question.  My graduating class was about 300 or so.

Now I am an old guy in my 70's - and a lot has changed from my youth - the trend should be of concern; even to the most righteous of Saints.  The peace and quite we have enjoyed is temporary and is changing.  Our prophets have warned us that many elements of peace that we have enjoyed in our current society will not last beyond a short time.  There is a phrase in one of our beloved hymns that says, "And should we die before our journeys through, Happy Day all is well."

I agree that there are reasons to be optimistic - but if anyone thinks the road a head will be easier and that is why they are optimistic - their optimism is not founded in reality and I am quite sure they do not understand what it is the we should be optimistic about.

The Traveler

1 hour ago, Traveler said:

I believe you are making an oversimplification both of history and of our time as well.   Within 40 years of Jesus the Romans decimated Israel (Jerusalem) in one of the worse human tragedies in history.  In our own time we are not that far removed from the Holocaust, the Stalin purges and the China Opiate wars and even the Chinese cultural revolution.  And we should not forget the martyrdom of the Prophet Joseph Smith.

Within my life time I have observed that the Prophet David O. McKay use to walk the streets of SLC greeting passers by without any worries.   Currently our prophets never go out in public without armed guards because of constant threats on their lives.  Prophets, today are not being ignored as you are suggesting.  Something else I have noticed, as a youth, I often took a gun to school.  On one occasion the weapon I had would not fit in my locker so I took the rifle to my classes and set it on the floor beside me - no one was even concerned or ask a single question.  My graduating class was about 300 or so.

Now I am an old guy in my 70's - and a lot has changed from my youth - the trend should be of concern; even to the most righteous of Saints.  The peace and quite we have enjoyed is temporary and is changing.  Our prophets have warned us that many elements of peace that we have enjoyed in our current society will not last beyond a short time.  There is a phrase in one of our beloved hymns that says, "And should we die before our journeys through, Happy Day all is well."

I agree that there are reasons to be optimistic - but if anyone thinks the road a head will be easier and that is why they are optimistic - their optimism is not founded in reality and I am quite sure they do not understand what it is the we should be optimistic about.

The Traveler

Very well said. Even in the 80's I could go to High School with a rifle in the back window of my truck. Times have certainly changed for the more negative.

Guest LiterateParakeet
1 hour ago, Traveler said:

The Traveler

All good points.  Don't forget Rwanda.  

I'm not actually an optimistic person, generally speaking.  My husband says I am a pessimist, but I prefer "realist." I admit it's taken me awhile catch the Spirit of Optimism that Presidents Hinckley, Monson and now Nelson emulate.  But I finally get it.  It's hard to explain.  I used to be fearful...as an abuse survivor I'm not naive to some of the horrors possible in this life.  However, in my healing I've become more aware of the power of Christ as well.  And it is in Christ that I have hope and yes, optimism for the future.  The reason I love President Nelson so much is because He is so Christ focused.  There are other reasons I love him, but that is the main one.  My optimism is not born out of naiveté but my faith in Christ and the prophet he has given us. 

Guest MormonGator
12 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

All good points.  Don't forget Rwanda.  

I'm not actually an optimistic person, generally speaking.  My husband says I am a pessimist, but I prefer "realist." I admit it's taken me awhile catch the Spirit of Optimism that Presidents Hinckley, Monson and now Nelson emulate.  But I finally get it.  It's hard to explain.  I used to be fearful...as an abuse survivor I'm not naive to some of the horrors possible in this life.  However, in my healing I've become more aware of the power of Christ as well.  And it is in Christ that I have hope and yes, optimism for the future.  The reason I love President Nelson so much is because He is so Christ focused.  There are other reasons I love him, but that is the main one.  My optimism is not born out of naiveté but my faith in Christ and the prophet he has given us. 

It's tough to be optimistic sometimes. 

In my 20's I was dark and gloomy, because I mistakenly thought it was "deep" to be that way. Then, I heard an interview with someone who survived a Nazi concentration camp. She saw horrors that 99% of us can't imagine. Amazingly, she was optimistic, believed in God, and never complained about anything. For me only, I thought "How dare I complain about things? Wouldn't it be incredibly insulting to her?" and I made the choice to be more optimistic and stop complaining. 

Just my thoughts. 

Edited by MormonGator

Guest LiterateParakeet
1 hour ago, MormonGator said:

In my 20's I was dark and gloomy, because I mistakenly thought it was "deep" to be that way. Then, I heard an interview with someone who survived a Nazi concentration camp. She saw horrors that 99% of us can't imagine. Amazingly, she was optimistic, believed in God, and never complained about anything. For me only, I thought "How dare I complain about things? Wouldn't it be incredibly insulting to her?" and I made the choice to be more optimistic and stop complaining. 

Just my thoughts. 

I love this, reminds me of Corrie ten Boom and her book The Hiding Place.  She was optimistic inspite of all she and her family had suffered as well. 

On 1/8/2019 at 1:41 PM, MormonGator said:

Just my thoughts. 

How can you be so optimistic when there are so many KISS fans out there, alive and well?  Huh?  HUH???

Guest MormonGator
48 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

How can you be so optimistic when there are so many KISS fans out there, alive and well?  Huh?  HUH???

Very true! Those people and their terrible music taste keep me up at night! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/7/2019 at 5:10 PM, Carborendum said:

Just because we have the greatest blessings in history does not mean we don't have the greatest challenges in history.  I believe they tend to go hand-in-hand.

Thus, to point out the decline of civilization is not denying the blessings of civilization.  It's all part of the great whole.

As children of God we are here to solve problems and grow. The automobile brought upon us many traffic related deaths and sadness, it also brought the ability to spread the gospel further and faster. The internet is doing the same thing. Flying cars will do the same thing and inhabiting Mars will do the same thing. Before you know it, the year will be 4040 and some one will predict the end of the world again.

Guest MormonGator
5 minutes ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

Just remember that every single generation out there from the dawn of time was 100% convinced that the world was getting more evil, more immoral, etc.  

5 hours ago, MormonGator said:

Just remember that every single generation out there from the dawn of time was 100% convinced that the world was getting more evil, more immoral, etc.  

You say that like it has any meaning or value to the conversation.

22 hours ago, MormonGator said:

What about the Nephites after the Savior visited? 

For at least two generations they had all things common among them. The first generation saw all the remainder of the people becoming one where there were no more "-ites" among them; just people of God. 

Edited by Colirio

Guest MormonGator
4 hours ago, Colirio said:

What about the Nephites after the Savior visited? 

For at least two generations they had all things common among them. The first generation saw all the remainder of the people becoming one where there were no more "-ites" among them; just people of God. 

That's great, it starts with an earthquake
Birds and snakes, and aeroplanes
And Lenny Bruce is not afraid

Eye of a hurricane, listen to yourself churn
World serves its own needs,
Don't mis-serve your own needs
Speed it up a notch, speed, grunt, no, strength,
The ladder starts to clatter
With a fear of height, down, height
Wire in a fire, represent the seven games
And a government for hire and a combat site
Left her, wasn't coming in a hurry
With the Furies breathing down your neck

Team by team, reporters baffled, trumped, tethered, cropped
Look at that low plane, fine, then
Uh oh, overflow, population, common group
But it'll do, save yourself, serve yourself
World serves its own needs, listen to your heart bleed
Tell me with the Rapture and the reverent in the right, right
You vitriolic, patriotic, slam fight, bright light
Feeling pretty psyched

It's the end of the world as we know it
It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine

Six o'clock, T.V. hour, don't get caught in foreign tower
Slash and burn, return, listen to yourself churn
Lock him in uniform, book burning, bloodletting
Every motive escalate, automotive incinerate
Light a candle, light a motive, step down, step down
Watch your heel crush, crush, uh oh
This means no fear, cavalier, renegade and steering clear
A tournament, a tournament, a tournament of lies
Offer me solutions, offer me alternatives and I decline

It's the end of the world as we know it (I had some time alone)
It's the end of the world as we know it (I had some time alone)
It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine (time I had some time alone)
I feel fine (I feel fine)

It's the end of the world as we know it (time I had some time alone)
It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine (time I had some time alone)

The other night I drifted nice continental drift divide
Mountains sit in a line, Leonard Bernstein
Leonid Brezhnev, Lenny Bruce and Lester Bangs
Birthday party, cheesecake, jellybean, boom
You symbiotic, patriotic, slam but neck, right, right