What is your philosophy on garages?

Lost Boy

The Garage Philosophy  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Pick the one that describes you best

• When it comes to stuff in the garage less is more. A two car garage holds two cars..
    • A two car garage can only fit one car.
    • Cars don't need to be in my storage facility. They are made to be in the rain and snow
    • I wish I had a garage
    • I am a minimalist. I don't need storage.

My choice is not in your options.

Garage = un-air-conditioned enclosed square footage.

Formal Living Room = air-conditioned enclosed square footage.

Formal Dining Room = air-conditioned enclosed square footage.

Bonus Room = air-conditioned enclosed square footage.

Patio = non-air-conditioned, partially enclosed square footage.

Edited by anatess2

Garages need to fit both cars and junk.  

We built a garage/barn combo.  They originally gave me the specs for a garage-sized barn (shorter barn), I made them do a barn-sized garage (longer garage).  Then I had them add a foot on either side of the garage.  This was hard - they kept wanting to add 2 feet on one side.  No, stick the stupid door in the middle, and add one foot on either side.  They had a hard time understanding why someone would spend good building money, just to add more space than needed for doors to open.

So now we have a utopia.  Park the cars, open the doors and walk to/from cars, and store all the crap next to the cars. 

Zen, I tell's ya.  Probably good Feng-shui too.  Also, karma.  Not much in the way of gospel truth, but all that other stuff is good.

Garage = let other people's cars get broken into in the night.  (NOTE: I don't actually want this, indeed, I hate it, but keeping your car safer is a good reason to keep it in the garage.)

Garage = room for car, riding mower, snow blower, workbenches, and tools.

Garage = non-snow-covered, non-frozen car in the morning (winter edition); or non-sweltering car in the afternoon (summer edition).

Shed = storage for other yard-care equipment and supplies.

Houses consistently surrounded by more cars than will fit in the garage & driveway = reason to worry.

I voted with the majority here; but our new Mormon Assault Vehicle (aka 12-seater van) is about three inches too tall to fit in our garage; and we have 8 bikes that have to go somewhere.  

Meanwhile I’m slowly edging towards getting into woodworking and am in the early stages of building a workbench/assembly table/saw table/tool storage cart that, when finished, will take up much of the garage.  

Edited by Just_A_Guy

11 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

I voted with the majority here; but our new Mormon Assault Vehicle (aka 12-seater van) is about three inches too tall to fit in our garage; and we have 8 bikes that have to go somewhere.  

Meanwhile I’m slowly edging towards getting into woodworking and am in the early stages of building a workbench/assembly table/saw table/tool storage cart that, when finished, will take up much of the garage.  

My dad's new truck is 3 inches too long to close the garage door.  Apparently there are going to be some modifications to the garage to rectify this.

Our garage is supposed to a 2 car. I cannot see how. There is no way my van and our car would ever fit togther. We have our spare car in garage and all extra storage.  I want a huge garage. One really big door that is extra tall.  We are planning on tearing down our garage and rebuilding it with a master suite above soon. It will fit two cars. 

7 minutes ago, dahlia said:

I'm not gonna lie - when I pass an open garage door and the garage is filled to bursting, I think the person has some sort of moral failing. A few garden implements or the stray fridge/freezer is one thing, tons of unorganized stuff? No. 

Meh.  A garage is just more square footage.  But what the garage has that the rest of the house doesn't is a big open space not visible to anybody unless they go in to the garage or the door is open.  So, the garage can be used (especially by me) to hold all those things that I have neither the time nor the inclination to organize or do something with just as yet.  It's better than letting that broken cabinet just sit in the living room until you find the time to fix the thing.  The way my family goes, we can have half the things in the house in the garage, broken, waiting to be fixed.  With 2 very active teen-agers with their very active cousins and friends plus the 3 dogs and the cousins and friends dogs and my husband and I's "projects"... that garage would be lucky to have space to put our car in.

Edited by anatess2

1 minute ago, anatess2 said:

Meh.  A garage is just more square footage.  But what the garage has that the rest of the house doesn't is a big open space not visible to anybody unless they go in to the garage or the door is open.  So, the garage can be used (especially by me) to hold all those things that I have neither the time nor the inclination to organize or do something with just as yet.  It's better than letting that broken cabinet just sit in the living room until you find the time to fix the thing.

Once the broken cabinet goes to the garage, does it ever get fixed? I think people put a lot of 'projects' in the garage that would be better off in the landfill. 

2 minutes ago, dahlia said:

Once the broken cabinet goes to the garage, does it ever get fixed? I think people put a lot of 'projects' in the garage that would be better off in the landfill. 

Of course.  If it doesn't get fixed it goes in the curb.  We're not rich people.  We don't throw broken cabinets to the landfill when we need a cabinet.

Right now, the garage is full of Christmas decor that needs to be fixed before it goes out in the yard (which was decorated last Friday)... they all used to be in the attic.  They're gonna be fixed by next weekend or they don't go out.  But once those guys get out of the garage, I'm sure something else will take its place... more likely my kid's Eagle project which just got approved last week.

Edited by anatess2

2 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

I haven't parked our cars in the Garage for ages.  It has all sorts of treasures that have lain unseen for decades.  When I pass I suppose my children will be left to the task similar of Indiana Jones and revealing the unknown treasures of my Garage.

So, what you're saying is you hate your children and feel they didn't get enough punishment when they lived under your roof? ;)

It depends.    We just moved from a house half the size of our old one.  Our garage is going to be used strictly for storage.  We also just moved to a much warmer location.   It snows and drops below zero occasionally, but the area has mild winters compared to where we just moved from.   

In the area we just moved from, temperatures would drop into the -40's (and have dropped into the -60's!) and we got a lot of snow, so we needed to park in the garage more than we do now.  .    

1 hour ago, zil said:

So, what you're saying is you hate your children and feel they didn't get enough punishment when they lived under your roof? ;)

Naw...It's not punishment, it's training.

I didn't get a single one to follow in my footsteps and become a Historian.  They didn't even become Archaeologists.

However, after my death maybe the investigation of the deep recesses of the dark interior reaches of the long lost Garage will inspire them to change!

:whip: 

4 minutes ago, JohnsonJones said:

I didn't get a single one to follow in my footsteps and become a Historian.

That's because the people who "teach" history take great pains to ensure it is (unnecessarily) the most boring, mind-numbing subject in school.  Maybe if people with a passion for the topic figured out how to teach it in an interesting and meaningful fashion, more people would be interested.

15 minutes ago, zil said:

That's because the people who "teach" history take great pains to ensure it is (unnecessarily) the most boring, mind-numbing subject in school.  Maybe if people with a passion for the topic figured out how to teach it in an interesting and meaningful fashion, more people would be interested.

That actually very closely mirrors what my kids would tell me.  When I would try to get them excited about it and teach them something...I was also lumped into those who were boring.

15 hours ago, dahlia said:

I'm not gonna lie - when I pass an open garage door and the garage is filled to bursting, I think the person has some sort of moral failing. A few garden implements or the stray fridge/freezer is one thing, tons of unorganized stuff? No. 

Ouch.

34 minutes ago, JohnsonJones said:

However, after my death maybe the investigation of the deep recesses of the dark interior reaches of the long lost Garage will inspire them to change!

Hmmm.

Sounds like someone is asking to have their ashes be scattered all over the local landfill.... 

You know... 

So you could be resurrected amongst your "treasures." 

3 minutes ago, Colirio said:

Hmmm.

Sounds like someone is asking to have their ashes be scattered all over the local landfill.... 

You know... 

So you could be resurrected amongst your "treasures." 

One man's trash is tomorrow's treasures!

Unfortunately for them (or fortunate for me), I already have my burial paid for along with the casket and everything else, at least overall.  As long as my body gets to the morgue.  I already know where I'll be buried along with my wife...or at least have the plans for it.

Though, it could be interesting if they tossed the entire body into the middle of an ice field above the Artic Circle, and my body was preserved (with some artifacts...maybe a pocket knife would make for a fascinating artifact along with a M9 in a holster) for a couple thousand years...I could be come the focus of an archeological study in the future!!!  Maybe even have papers written about me!!!

If I had a garage its primary purpose would be for working on cars where I wouldn't have to worry about the weather.  As a former mechanic I have a hard time making myself let others work on my cars, but I'm also too old and lazy to lay on the street in cold weather because I have to fix an exhaust pipe in the middle of winter.