Lehi's vision of the water

GaleG

5 hours ago, Carborendum said:

This was how I saw it as well.  I thought that a river came from the tree and ran parallel to the rod of iron.  Then the fountain of filthy water flowed from a second source and ran down that chasm.  It seemed this second river formed the chasm as the river that formed the Grand Canyon. 

I never thought of them mixing as Traveler posits.  But I was curious about his take on it.

Symbolism in scripture is not intended to be literal.  Usually symbolism in general looses it meaning when trying to inject literal understanding.  We speak with symbolism a lot and whenever someone attempts to understand it literally - it just does not work.  For example if someone was to say to their eternal partner - "I love you with all my hart".  Why is love associated with you hart?  It is not real - it is symbolic.

The symbolism for the pure fountain of water and the fruit of the tree of life both represent the love of G-d.  But the symbolism is only valid at the source and no where else.  The fruit of the tree could not be taken to any one - they had to come to the tree to partake of the fruit.  There also is living water - but it was only pure and worthy to be called the love of G-d at the source.

But there is something else to consider - This is given to us in Genesis 41 where Joseph translates the dreams G-d gave to Pharaoh.  There were two dream but only one message - see verse 25 and verse 32.  This is a very interesting passage because not only were there two dreams but Joseph even tells Pharaoh twice why there were two dreams.

The fruit of the tree and the pure living water (also the rod of iron) are from G-d because of his love for us.  The filthy water, mist of darkness and the spacious building are all from Satan because of his hate for us.  The message is not about fruit or even the color of the fruit - even thought we are told the color is white.  So also the danger because of the mist of darkness, the filthy water and the large and spacious building is the same danger.  But there is another interesting thing about all the symbolism.  That is to taste of the love of G-d requires effort and it also requires that we remain unashamed at the source.  It is not the default.  To be caught or lost is the default and does not require any effort - it is what happens when one does not persevere.   

The main reason I suggested that the water was the same is to generate thinking.  To bring to light that to understand the symbolism - we do not have to figure out if there are two fountains or one fountain.  We can understand the symbolism either way.  And so I have posted - not to solve the riddle of symbolism but rather to expand our understanding - to see and understand more.  To stretch our thinking and explorer  new possibilities.  So that every time we read scripture we can see and learn new things.

The Traveler

• 3 weeks later...

Likely the fountain that Lehi and Nephi are describing is similar to 

1 Ne 2:  And when my father saw that the waters of the river emptied into the fountain of the Red Sea, he spake unto Laman, saying: O that thou mightest be like unto this river, continually running into the fountain of all righteousness!

IE fount, or source, like the Gulf of Akaba, which empties into the red sea.

And not this:

DB0C0E0E-81DF-4100-B47C-5A2847B86ED4.jpeg.b68245cbee9b4fea468acbd19a618585.jpeg